Where do I code?

Hdee

Hi guys, just had a quick question, I am a beginner in code and I have been practicing on websites like CodeAcademy, but I do not know where I really do it on my pc. Can someone help?

what do you mean? like what programs to use or how to learn how to?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

what do you mean? like what programs to use or how to learn how to?

Yea like what programs do I use and do I download them?

Yea like what programs do I use and do I download them?

Microsoft visual studio is the go to programming for languages like visual basic and c++. https://www.visualstudio.com/

For java, you can use the java jdk http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html#javasejdk

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Any sort of helpful youtube video explaing this would work too

Well a good graphical one to start with is processing https://processing.org/. It is a simplifyed version of java and is great for drawing and making basic games like pong. You could try java but setting the compiler up can be tricky if you dont know what your doing. Also you can try a very simple one called turing, http://compsci.ca/holtsoft/, which is very basic. I am very good at turing if you have any questions.

BTW - Turing and processing come with their own compilers so all you have to do is download the exe and you are good to go

You need an IDE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

The most common one for programming on C, C++ and C# on windows is Microsoft Visual Studio. For Java, most people use either Eclipse or Netbeans, etc.

There are tons of IDEs, aimed at different languages, type of projects, and to adjust to the preferences of each developer.

Java - Install the Java JDK and use Eclipse or IntelliJ

PHP / HTML / CSS are all just done in text editors. I use Brackets.

C++/C# is done in Microsoft Visual Studio.

Python - install it and run "python" in cmd.

this site looks like it could be quite useful. http://www.learncpp.com/

Heres a good youtube series on the basics of java. 

Well it depends on your language that you are learning but most languages require a compiler which is included in their sdk. You can write code in notepad if you really wanted to but most people use texteditors made for programming like sublimetext, vim, emacs, etc. To actually compile and run your code, you usually use cmd or terminal (depending on your os). There are tons of videos on youtube. Just type how to install [insert language] sdk on [insert os] and you should be good to go.

What language? Also unlike what Jade said I think the best python IDE is pycharm

Don't use it for C++, it gives really confusing errors.

GCC/G++ and notepad is better.

notepad :rolleyes:

for simplicity sublime text (get the free version) is nice it also color codes I believe that is what CodeAcademy uses I have only looked at that site once. It can do a ton of languages for programming including C C# C++ java python PHP. Jedit is another it tells when there are errors