Fellow forum members,

I call upon your expertise for I need help.

Now let me give you some information on the situation (nothing crazy or unheard, but it'll hopefully give you a better look on this case).

A friend of mine (PC hater, Mac Fanboy), asked my help to build him a Hackingtosh desktop. He is a student (17 years old, about to go to Uni), who gets payed well enough to afford a laptop as well as a desktop. The machine is not meant to be a gaming rig, mostly a workstation for text editing and browsing (Don't tell me about the utter stupidity of building such an expensive rig for such nonsense tasks :lol:. I tried to convince him too). The budget is respectively $1200.

His demands were:

- Small case (about the size of an Xbox One)

- SSD (Lightning fast boot speeds)

- Intel core i7 with at least 4 cores and a decent clock speed

He left a lot of blank spots. Its up to me to fill those in.

Regarding the CPU, I was debating on a i7 4820k and an i7 4770k. Now the 4770K has better overall performance, but the performance/$ isn't all to great compared to the 4820k.

All your input on the CPU is more then welcome!

The case is a close call. There are not many Mini-ITX cases that are flat like an Xbox One. There are two candidates in my opinion: The Lian Li PC-Q19 and the Silverstone Raven RVZ02.

Lian Li's design is unbelievably sleek, but about 1.5x the size of what the Raven RVZ02 is claimed to will be. I personally prefer the RVZ02 due to the fact that it has exactly the width and height of an Xbox, its just 90mm deeper. Another con to this case is that it is not yet released. This means that I'll have to postpone building this system until the case + the fact that not everything is known about the case itself. Will it be any good in the first place?

The GPU was an easy choice, I was thinking of a GTX 960 reference. I need to keep compatibility with the case, OS and motherboard in mind.

When I say "it was an easy choice" I actually mean I just took a wild stab in the dark and went with the graphics card that seems most fitting to me. Now I am not an expert on this matter, all help and suggestions are welcome.

I have never worked with Mini-ITX, so I have not a clue what motherboard has best overall durability, compatibility, price etc. I wanted to leave this topic up to your expertise.

RAM is not a big concern of mine. This system doesn't need lightning fast RAM, something like 1600MHz or 1866MHz should fine (I hope :huh:). Don't worry about the RAM, I'll figure it out.

The power supply has to fit the case, I'd say something around 400-500 Watt 80 plus gold should cut it. I am not a power supply expert either, so any advice is helpful.

I am not sure how I am going to cool the system yet... The case probably doesn't support water cooling, so that's not an option. It would be lovely if you guys could help me figure out the best cooling solution to this setup.

That about concludes it. If I am unclear at certain points, please make sure to let me know and ask me!

All the help is awesomely much appreciated! Any tips or tricks on the actual assembling is always nice since I am not really considered an experienced builder. I did watch Linus's and Luke's video on Hackingtosh machines.

Warm regards, Alean.

You're asking a fisherman's forum about bear testicles right now

Go check out tonymacx86.com they're literally the best place to go for hackintosh advice

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You're asking a fisherman's forum about bear testicles right now

Go check out tonymacx86.com they're literally the best place to go for hackintosh advice

Seems like a legit comparison...

Thanks for the advice, I'll go check it out now!

Alean