What is the future of jobs in programming?

TechFnatic

App development is huge right now, but it might very well just be a fad, just like web design was huge 10 years ago. So I want to get into programming and I will be going to school for it, the thing here is what do you think will be the most prosperous/ in demand programming job in 5 years from now? 

PS. I am not interested in computer science at all, but I want to get into programming, what is the best route/courses to take in university for this?

App development isn't a fad. Applications are the future, the farther technology gets. Maybe not phone apps, but programs, like AI? They pay damn well and they're going nowhere.

App development isn't a fad. Applications are the future, the farther technology gets. Maybe not phone apps, but programs, like AI? They pay damn well and they're going nowhere.

What is the best way to get into app dev (courses)? I mean I am not too great at math, but you could still program with little knowledge of math

What is the best way to get into app dev (courses)? I mean I am not too great at math, but you could still program with little knowledge of math

Learn from free courses online like codeacademy or you could always pay for tutorials in lynda

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Do computer science to start then do a specialized course after you pass computer science

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

PS. I am not interested in computer science at all, but I want to get into programming, what is the best route/courses to take in university for this?

When it comes to university courses, any programming courses are likely in the Computer Science and Engineering faculties. Whether you want to do a full major in Computer Science or not, it's one of the best places to start taking courses.

Of course, you can always learn to program on your own. 

In a CS curriculum, you will at least learn object-oriented design, which is a central concept in all modern programming. Software development will always exist, and app development will not go away any time soon, and will always exist in some medium. I strongly recommend CS given your interest, unless a similar, more specialized alternative is available to you, in which you can take programming courses.

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

Learn from free courses online like codeacademy or you could always pay for tutorials in lynda

Do computer science to start then do a specialized course after you pass computer science

When it comes to university courses, any programming courses are likely in the Computer Science and Engineering faculties. Whether you want to do a full major in Computer Science or not, it's one of the best places to start taking courses.

Of course, you can always learn to program on your own. 

In a CS curriculum, you will at least learn object-oriented design, which is a central concept in all modern programming. Software development will always exist, and app development will not go away any time soon, and will always exist in some medium. I strongly recommend CS given your interest, unless a similar, more specialized alternative is available to you, in which you can take programming courses.

Is computer science really the only way to go? I mean I like developing, but I really can't handle the math, math is my weak point. I NEED university certifications to get hired anywhere, isn't there any courses which specialize in dev?

Is computer science really the only way to go? I mean I like developing, but I really can't handle the math, math is my weak point. I NEED university certifications to get hired anywhere, isn't there any courses which specialize in dev?

Computer science is focused around programming. so it is a good base to start wit. Not all Computer Science course includes math. Most Specialized course would require a base course that shows you can dev in that type of language.

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Is computer science really the only way to go?

When it comes to university, it and perhaps Computer Engineering, are usually the only options unless your specific institution offers an alternative. You might be better off looking into other post-secondary institutions. Math will likely be involved with all of them to some extent however there may be less of it in a college program.

Other than that, you can learn on your own. Build up an impressive resume without the degree. It might be harder to get that interview, but if you can show an employer projects that demonstrate good skill and knowledge, that can get the lack of a degree overlooked. There's also the freelance option.

General software development and embedded systems development will always be in demand as long as people own computers.

As long as you can do general purpose software development, you'll be employable. If you can do low level stuff, that'd also probably be good.

When it comes to university, it and perhaps Computer Engineering, are usually the only options unless your specific institution offers an alternative. You might be better off looking into other post-secondary institutions. Math will likely be involved with all of them to some extent however there may be less of it in a college program.

I'm in CE. CE is basically just computer science, but you learn about hardware as well.

Software engineering is fancy Computer science, I've heard.

Most of the learning that goes on in university programs comes from faculty and your peers, not so much the curriculum itself. Those are the main things that you'll miss out on if you don't get some kind of degree. A good degree program also provides excellent opportunity for networking, internships, and career placement after you graduate. Internships are the most important, because they give you the opportunity to get a job that you would not otherwise be qualified for, getting valuable training and possible graduation into a permanent salaried position.

A good substitute would be to get involved with an open source project with an active community. An example is Drupal; developers frequently hold development meetings (e.g. sprint days) in most cities which provide the kind of opportunities for learning and networking that are needed for success in the industry.

Computer science is focused around programming. so it is a good base to start wit. Not all Computer Science course includes math. Most Specialized course would require a base course that shows you can dev in that type of language.

Other than that, you can learn on your own. Build up an impressive resume without the degree. It might be harder to get that interview, but if you can show an employer projects that demonstrate good skill and knowledge, that can get the lack of a degree overlooked. There's also the freelance option.

General software development and embedded systems development will always be in demand as long as people own computers.

As long as you can do general purpose software development, you'll be employable. If you can do low level stuff, that'd also probably be good.

I'm in CE. CE is basically just computer science, but you learn about hardware as well.

Software engineering is fancy Computer science, I've heard.

Most of the learning that goes on in university programs comes from faculty and your peers, not so much the curriculum itself. Those are the main things that you'll miss out on if you don't get some kind of degree. A good degree program also provides excellent opportunity for networking, internships, and career placement after you graduate. Internships are the most important, because they give you the opportunity to get a job that you would not otherwise be qualified for, getting valuable training and possible graduation into a permanent salaried position.

A good substitute would be to get involved with an open source project with an active community. An example is Drupal; developers frequently hold development meetings (e.g. sprint days) in most cities which provide the kind of opportunities for learning and networking that are needed for success in the industry.

Thanks for the help guys, I found a program at a local institute which has 2 years of extensive programming education it then branches off into app dev if that is what you're into. I will be applying for that most likely. Thanks!

Thanks for the help guys, I found a program at a local institute which has 2 years of extensive programming education it then branches off into app dev if that is what you're into. I will be applying for that most likely. Thanks!

Just want to give you a warning about it. Be ready to pull your hair out with testing and doing reports on everything you program.

I am totally the same way. Just power through it, math will not be the emphasis of your education

AMD FX8350  2x ASUS Radeon R9 270X 4GB  ASUS Sabertooth 990FX  -  Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 16GB

I am totally the same way. Just power through it, math will not be the emphasis of your education

I havent passed maths and i am in my third year at university doing computer science

I havent passed maths and i am in my third year at university doing computer science

I guess it depends on the school. I took three mathematical courses for a minor in CS, but I only found one of them to be truly difficult, and I am terrible with math courses but enjoy programming. Kinda ironic, if you ask me

I guess it depends on the school. I took three mathematical courses for a minor in CS, but I only found one of them to be truly difficult, and I am terrible with math courses but enjoy programming. Kinda ironic, if you ask me

What I have learnt from programming over the past 4-5 years is that it requires more logic than maths unless you will be coding with numbers a lot.

What I have learnt from programming over the past 4-5 years is that it requires more logic than maths unless you will be coding with numbers a lot.

Well the math I learned was not necessarily dealing with numbers so much as concepts. Mathematical concepts like recursion and set manipulation, as well as algorithm development, are math skills all programmers should use, and they do not have to apply to only numbers

Well the math I learned was not necessarily dealing with numbers so much as concepts. Mathematical concepts like recursion and set manipulation, as well as algorithm development, are math skills all programmers should use, and they do not have to apply to only numbers

I have only used math once when programming and that was when i was creating a BMR and BMI Calculator.

I have only used math once when programming and that was when i was creating a BMR and BMI Calculator.

trust me, you use math almost every time you program something, whether you realize it or not :)

math isn't about numbers, as you may someday know for yourself

Trust me you dont use it as much as you think. i meant that was the only time i created something that was solely focused on math

trust me, you use math almost every time you program something, whether you realize it or not :)

math isn't about numbers, as you may someday know for yourself

Trust me you dont use it as much as you think. i meant that was the only time i created something that was solely focused on math

Well this really makes me feel better about my not so good math skills, i'm going to give CS a try.... hard work will help me through it

as far as I know, C.S. classes (in high school) doesn't really talk about math. The only way math would be related to C.S. courses directly (that I can think of) is in concepts like functions. 

App development is huge right now, but it might very well just be a fad, just like web design was huge 10 years ago. So I want to get into programming and I will be going to school for it, the thing here is what do you think will be the most prosperous/ in demand programming job in 5 years from now? 

It seems programming animations/simulations is a futureproof route for programmers/software engineers. Examples: video game programming, supercomputer-simulation-programming, (gaming) API development, 3D programming, virtual-reality-programming, etc.

Also, programming robots (A.I. or not) is always going to be important. Just don't try to create Skynet or something.