fix computers damaged by smoking

ewdwan

have you ever recieved a used pc or laptop that has been overheating due to someone smoking while they used it?

i have so as i couldnt find any info online as how to fix this so i made this  :)

open your pc up and completely dissasemble it

buy replacement fans

clean all parts including all casing with isopropynal alcahol (make sure its more than 90%) you can clean it with anti-static microfibre cloths and or cotton buds just make sure there is no debris left

re apply thermal paste to all neccesary components

assemble pc and you are done  :)

hope this helps you please feel free to ask if you need any help

also sorry for spelling and punctuation im dislexic so i try my best  :)

I don't see how a computer can get damaged by smoking.

Dust - MHM

Smoking - ?

Dust, but worse.

Sig under construction.

Dust - MHM

Smoking - ?

It just makes everything sticky and smell HORRIBLE. Maybe more, but those are the 2 off the top of my head

I use my dry steam cleaner to clean these kinda pc's

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I wish I would have taken pictures of my uncles pc when I fixed it for him. He was a heavy smoker along with 2 other people in the house. Also had multiple cats and they NEVER cleaned the house. Then on top of that hey set the tower directly on the carpet. I literally HAD to go get a full painters suit with painters breather to clean this thing. PC ended up being dead because the psu was so full of fucking filth that it melted itself and took the graphics card and other shit with it.

Sky Pollution | i5 3570k @4.8Ghz | MSi z77a g45 | MSi GTX 770 Gaming 2gb | Samsung 840 Evo 250gb, Samsung OEM 500gb HDD | Corsair CX750m | Corsair 760t White Edition |
Corsair M95 | SuperLux 668b's | Logitech C615 | ViewSonic VX2250wm | Random OEM keyboard until I rage break it and grab another random OEM keyboard from my pile.
Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186413-sky-pollution-my-white-760t-build-rebuildupgrade/

Dust - MHM

Smoking - ?

The tar build up is insane. I had one come in recently I'm just glad I'm anosmic, a workmate who is about 5 meters away was complaining about the smell.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I got some free stuff off a widow whose deceased husband was into PCs. I got the PCs, opened them up, and they smelt fucking disgusting. In good shape, but still. All the peripherals stank of it, and 6 months on, they still do (horribly). I just hate the smell of cigarette smoke and its remains, which is why I try and stay as far away from smokers as possible.

I got some free stuff off a widow whose deceased husband was into PCs. I got the PCs, opened them up, and they smelt fucking disgusting. In good shape, but still. All the peripherals stank of it, and 6 months on, they still do (horribly). I just hate the smell of cigarette smoke and its remains, which is why I try and stay as far away from smokers as possible.

We had one come in and litrely in the bottom of the case there was a thick layer of dust, tar and crap which was as high as the gfx card, it was a scarp one we were goign to salvage for parts, had some decent ram but we didnt dare touch it it went strait to the skip

OH THAT WAS THAT didn't look like dust didn't smell like dust took me fkin 4 hour to clean it was due to smoking well the more you know I guess anyway this guide is pretty much what I do anytime I get new computer part for free

Lol I smoke around my computer all day. Have to clean the filter once a week. Once a month I take the whole thing out to the shed and give it a good blasting with the air compressor. Smoke dust is sticky, but no match for a 110 psi air compressor.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Dust - MHM

Smoking - ?

Tar build up. It's like spraying a slow mist of glue into your computer over a long period of time. It speeds up dust buildup among other things.

LOL. Use alcohol to clean?

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

Yes I use alcohol to clean and normally I wouldn't go anywhere near a computer that has been in contact with smoking but the one that I fixed and wrote this guide on was a Compaq presario c700 that I got given off my uncle (he smokes) and I don't have that much money as I'm 14 so couldn't really complain

Those are the worst PC's to fix, all the dust inside is super sticky.. And the smell.. Just the smell..

Now. Imagine the lungs.

System: Thinkpad T460

Here you go

smokers-lung-picture-21.jpg

this is why i never plan on smoking 

• 2 weeks later...

Quick tip from experience. 

Ammonia breaks up cigarette tar much better than alcohol. 

Dust - MHM

Smoking - ?

I used to have an apartment in what was supposed to be a non-smoking building. I assume that the previous owner used to go into the bathroom and smoke with the window open, and as a result the walls were coated with sticky yellow shit that dripped from the walls and ceiling every time I took a shower. Despite scrubbing the walls numerous times, I only ever made it slightly better.

So yeah, that inside of a computer, or anything else? Well, just one more reason I'll never smoke.

I had to clean a computer that was a smoker's. I ripped everything out, blew the shit outta it with a high-pressure nozzle for an air compressor, sprayed it with fabreeze.

As for the case, I put it a sink with a 30/70 mix of Purple Power and roughly 70C water. If you don't know what Purple Power is, think industrial liquid cleaning solution.

Case was shiny AF and no longer had a yellow tint.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)