Is Any Single Card Better Then A R9-295x2 for Folding?

Go to solution Solved by Me1z,

I have read from various forums that the 295X2 is not good for mining or folding as it will throttle aggressively when it reaches its max target temperature of only 75C.

2my83zq.jpg

Well you read wrong friend. My dedicated folding rig uses an R9 295x2. Its on 24/7, maxes out at a cool 64c, and that one GPU alone is our team's 3rd highest producer. Its also worth noting that our top folder @ropesend was using 3 R9 295x2s as well. Not only is it amazing for folding, its crazy efficient as well, my full system load maxes at 460W. Not bad for a Dual GPU system getting 480,000 PPD. It only throttles if you have poor airflow or negative case pressure, you want more fans in than out.

Then what are you talking about? It seems that by specifying "a single GPU" OP is excluding literally no GPU ever sold.

we've already answered OP's question.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Please explain in great detail on how you plan on getting a graphics card in two pci slots......

If you mean two seperate gpu's, then that is a whole other dimension... :mellow:

CPU: i5 4690k @ 4.5 GHZ CPU COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO GPU: Evga GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 CASE: NZXT H440 SSD: Crucial MX100 128 GB HDD: 1 TB WD Blue MOBO: MSI z97 PC MATE FANS: 6x Corsair SP120, 1x Corsair AF140 Monitor: ASUS VN247 PSU: Corsair CX600M RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance

I think the confusion is stemming from the term "single slot", since the card itself goes in one PCI slot, but it's so thick it takes up two slots.

Unless your motherboard's PCI is spaced by a lot.

Edit:

Sorry for replying so late to this and reviving it, derp. Going back to bed....

CPU: R7 1700 @ 3.875GHz/1.335v , GPU: Fury Nitro.

Yeah I looked into the titans, and thy are just so much more expensive, and I would probably have to do something about cooling. Overall I don't think they are a great choice. I just don't really wanna blow 1100 to 1500 on a GPU. The 295x2 is only 800 and is water cooled

it was 650 last I checked..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

The 295x2 isn't a single card..................

It is a single card with two GPUs

The 295x2 isn't a single card..................

its a single card sense well... its one card and only takesup 1 PCIE slot. But yes it has 2GPUs onboard.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I have read from various forums that the 295X2 is not good for mining or folding as it will throttle aggressively when it reaches its max target temperature of only 75C.

2my83zq.jpg

Well you read wrong friend. My dedicated folding rig uses an R9 295x2. Its on 24/7, maxes out at a cool 64c, and that one GPU alone is our team's 3rd highest producer. Its also worth noting that our top folder @ropesend was using 3 R9 295x2s as well. Not only is it amazing for folding, its crazy efficient as well, my full system load maxes at 460W. Not bad for a Dual GPU system getting 480,000 PPD. It only throttles if you have poor airflow or negative case pressure, you want more fans in than out.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

I love how everyone is freaking out about what a single card is lol... if there is one pcb and has one pcie interface, it's one card.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about heat because my own card runs at lower temperatures while mining than while gaming (I suppose it's because the vram isn't being used, but no real way of knowing). The only card I would think of being close is the titan X, but even then the 295x2 beats it by 4 teraflops. You really can't go wrong with the x2, for less than 1500$ right now it's the fastest single card you can buy.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I love how everyone is freaking out about what a single card is lol... if there is one pcb and has one pcie interface, it's one card.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about heat because my own card runs at lower temperatures while mining than while gaming (I suppose it's because the vram isn't being used, but no real way of knowing). The only card I would think of being close is the titan X, but even then the 295x2 beats it by 4 teraflops. You really can't go wrong with the x2, for less than 1500$ right now it's the fastest single card you can buy.

For the single most powerful card i would think the 295x2 presents the best value. 

I don't see why it should throttle at 75*C when 90 is apparently A-ok on the 290.

Op might want to grab some decent fans along with the card just incase.. 

I think the confusion is stemming from the term "single slot", since the card itself goes in one PCI slot, but it's so thick it takes up two slots.

Unless your motherboard's PCI is spaced by a lot.

Edit:

Sorry for replying so late to this and reviving it, derp. Going back to bed....

This is the folding/boinc/mining section, it doesn't move THAT fast :P a few

days old topic is in no way considered necroing. The op never said anything

about gpu cores or slots, he just said a single card. So the confusion spawned

out of nothing in the first place... 

For the single most powerful card i would think the 295x2 presents the best value. 

I don't see why it should throttle at 75*C when 90 is apparently A-ok on the 290.

apparently it's set as the target temperature, but I'm sure msi afterburner can fix that

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah, i think it will work good for me. Ill be putting it in a cooler master HAF series case, so airflow wont be an issue. Thanks!

Yeah ill be getting some decent fans with it and hopefully ill be able to get a water cooler for my cpu as well so even tho i wont be using it for folding, i will be able to intake cold air for my GPU.

And the reason that it throttles at 75 is because of the water coolers, they would fail at too much higher then that, so the card throttles to keep the cooling system intact

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

apparently it's set as the target temperature, but I'm sure msi afterburner can fix that

Its set to keep the coolers at operating temperature, they go bad at about 80, so it throttles at 75 to keep the cooler running well

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

Yeah ill be getting some decent fans with it and hopefully ill be able to get a water cooler for my cpu as well so even tho i wont be using it for folding, i will be able to intake cold air for my GPU.

And the reason that it throttles at 75 is because of the water coolers, they would fail at too much higher then that, so the card throttles to keep the cooling system intact

Aha! why didn't i think of that, seems like abit of a crude measure, but it makes sense. 

Aha! why didn't i think of that, seems like abit of a crude measure, but it makes sense. 

Yeah the pumps and stuff for the cooling would fail at a higher temperture. the card runs fine up to about 90, but the coolers go bad alot lower then that

I would probably just go with a single GTX 970. The combination with the R9 295x2 being a dual GPU solution, high Wattage, and heat output means that it will cost you more to operate in the long run.

The GTX 970 is great card for folding. Sure, the 295x2 will grant you a higher PPD. But it does so at previously mentioned drawbacks.

I would probably just go with a single GTX 970. The combination with the R9 295x2 being a dual GPU solution, high Wattage, and heat output means that it will cost you more to operate in the long run.

The GTX 970 is great card for folding. Sure, the 295x2 will grant you a higher PPD. But it does so at previously mentioned drawbacks.

The person that inspired me to do a mini itx folding rig has informed me otherwise. He has told me that his rig pulls less then 500 watts and his card stays at about 65 degrees, that's not horrible for a mini itx machine considering. And I'll get ALOT better PPD with this card anyway. Plus the heat in the room is manageable. The card will run cool and my room can have a window open, so I think the 295x2 is the best bet right now.

The person that inspired me to do a mini itx folding rig has informed me otherwise. He has told me that his rig pulls less then 500 watts and his card stays at about 65 degrees, that's not horrible for a mini itx machine considering. And I'll get ALOT better PPD with this card anyway. Plus the heat in the room is manageable. The card will run cool and my room can have a window open, so I think the 295x2 is the best bet right now.

I've had 3 295x2s running and they are PPD beasts, but they are also full blown space heaters I find 65 degrees and 500 watts hard to believe, though I've never actully tested wattage I know they were way more than 65 degrees (Also they were not all in the same system so I had 2 card slots between the dual card system). 

I've had 3 295x2s running and they are PPD beasts, but they are also full blown space heaters I find 65 degrees and 500 watts hard to believe, though I've never actully tested wattage I know they were way more than 65 degrees (Also they were not all in the same system so I had 2 card slots between the dual card system).

Did you have any issues with thermal throttling? As long as they don't thermal throttle then I can deal with the heat

Did you have any issues with thermal throttling? As long as they don't thermal throttle then I can deal with the heat

I don't think so but I honestly don't know, In my house Ambient would typicaly have been 13 to 18 degrees C, and I had the radiators right out of the case to get fresh air, not heated air.  They were seriously a significant part of my heating bill (I lived in northern canada). If ambient temps are low and there is good airflow you will probably be fine, but even if it throttles a little there is still no single card better for PPD except maybe titan x.  Sorry I can't give more info, I'm moving and everything is in boxes, otherwise I'd check for you.

I don't think so but I honestly don't know, In my house Ambient would typicaly have been 13 to 18 degrees C, and I had the radiators right out of the case to get fresh air, not heated air.  They were seriously a significant part of my heating bill (I lived in northern canada). If ambient temps are low and there is good airflow you will probably be fine, but even if it throttles a little there is still no single card better for PPD except maybe titan x.  Sorry I can't give more info, I'm moving and everything is in boxes, otherwise I'd check for you.

Na its no problem man, I think I'm gonna go that route anyway, just for pure ppd