Is Any Single Card Better Then A R9-295x2 for Folding?

Go to solution Solved by Me1z,

I have read from various forums that the 295X2 is not good for mining or folding as it will throttle aggressively when it reaches its max target temperature of only 75C.

2my83zq.jpg

Well you read wrong friend. My dedicated folding rig uses an R9 295x2. Its on 24/7, maxes out at a cool 64c, and that one GPU alone is our team's 3rd highest producer. Its also worth noting that our top folder @ropesend was using 3 R9 295x2s as well. Not only is it amazing for folding, its crazy efficient as well, my full system load maxes at 460W. Not bad for a Dual GPU system getting 480,000 PPD. It only throttles if you have poor airflow or negative case pressure, you want more fans in than out.

OK, so I have quite a bit of a budget. I will be putting together a Mini ITX folding machine, so I need the best single card I can get. So far I have found that the best card is going to be a R9 295x2 for this. Basicly I just need to know if there is any cards that are better than the 295x2 at stock speeds. And keep in mind that the 295x2 has liquid cooling, so it stays VERY cool for a folding card.

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

Titan Z?

Magical Pineapples

Titan Z?

Well yeah, but I am not really willing to drop that much on a card... For obvious reasons.. It wouldn't be worth it just for folding. The titan z is almost double the cost

Collecting every single CPU in existence? Is it possible? I have no idea, but i'm sure gonna try! http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/341848-dont-throw-away-old-cpus-im-collecting/

The 295x2 isn't a single card..................

Well yes it is. Its 2 GPU cores on a single card. The card operates off a single pci-e slot. I need to know the best card that I can put in a mini itx system. And so far the 295x2 takes it. I just wanna make sure there isn't a better one out there, for a similar price. It would be better to know before I order it rather then later.

Titan Z?

Titan Z is dual GPU, maybe TItan X.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Well yes it is. Its 2 GPU cores on a single card. The card operates off a single pci-e slot. I need to know the best card that I can put in a mini itx system. And so far the 295x2 takes it. I just wanna make sure there isn't a better one out there, for a similar price. It would be better to know before I order it rather then later.

Oh I thought you meant single GPU :P

Titan Z is dual GPU, maybe TItan X.

Yeah I looked into the titans, and thy are just so much more expensive, and I would probably have to do something about cooling. Overall I don't think they are a great choice. I just don't really wanna blow 1100 to 1500 on a GPU. The 295x2 is only 800 and is water cooled

I have read from various forums that the 295X2 is not good for mining or folding as it will throttle aggressively when it reaches its max target temperature of only 75C.

Yeah, but the case I will be using won't have any ambient heat or any other components blocking or impeding the airflow. I don't think I'll have any issues keeping the card cool as my CPU will be water cooled as well. I have a HAF series case so its optimized for airflow, and the card will be receiving cold air from outside the case to cool itself. If I run into cooling issues I can run the radiator in push/pull and that should be okay for this card.

OK, so I have quite a bit of a budget. I will be putting together a Mini ITX folding machine, so I need the best single card I can get. So far I have found that the best card is going to be a R9 295x2 for this. Basicly I just need to know if there is any cards that are better than the 295x2 at stock speeds. And keep in mind that the 295x2 has liquid cooling, so it stays VERY cool for a folding card.

so ugh.... you realize that the 295x2 isn't a single card?

neither is the Titan Z

both have two GPUs. therefore any other single GPU card wouldn't be nearly as good.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

When

so ugh.... you realize that the 295x2 isn't a single card?

neither is the Titan Z

both have two GPUs. therefore any other single GPU card wouldn't be nearly as good.

What I mean is I wanna know if there are any cards that fit in a single card factor that are better. So things like the titan z and 295x2 fit the bill. I just wanted to know if I was missing anything and if there was a similar card that was better. It doesn't look like there is

The 295x2 and the titan z are "single" cards because they fit on a mini itx board with only one pci-e slot. Thats what I mean when I say single card

The 295x2 and the titan z are "single" cards because they fit on a mini itx board with only one pci-e slot. Thats what I mean when I say single card

You mean Dual GPU but in single card?

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

The difference between single card and single gpu is not that hard to understand. op means single card form factor, meaning it only requires one pcie slot on the motherboard. The 295x2 and Titan Z are both single card, multi gpu graphics cards.

The difference between single card and single gpu is not that hard to understand. op means single card form factor, meaning it only requires one pcie slot on the motherboard. The 295x2 and Titan Z are both single card, multi gpu graphics cards.

^yes, thank you

By that definition the 295x2 is still a dual slot card, and the Titan Z is a triple slot card. :P

By that definition the 295x2 is still a dual slot card, and the Titan Z is a triple slot card. :P

No... They said it took one slot on the motherboard... All the cards you said all take up one slot on the motherboard..... They all are "single" cards. They have ONE "single" PCB, thus have one card..... *facepalm*

No... They said it took one slot on the motherboard... All the cards you said all take up one slot on the motherboard..... They all are "single" cards. They have ONE "single" PCB, thus have one card..... *facepalm*

As opposed to what, exactly?

As opposed to what, exactly?

as opposed to two PCBs in two PCI-e slots.

OP is looking for a single PCB card.

and because those cards are multi GPU there aren't going to be any better single PCB cards.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

well. i have two 980 poseidons, and a single poseidon comes pretty close with liquid cooling and a hard OC.

check this out:http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/03/16/asus_rog_poseidon_gtx_980_platinum_vs_amd_r9_295x2/1#.VSaHi5OleBw

it might be worth it, power/heat wise to go with a 980 Poseidon.

as opposed to two PCBs in two PCI-e slots.

OP is looking for a single PCB card.

and because those cards are multi GPU there aren't going to be any better single PCB cards.

Name a graphics card that slots into two PCI slots... They don't exist. You can buy two GPUs and put them in different PCI slots but the "dual PCI GPU" described is not a thing.

Name a graphics card that slots into two PCI slots... They don't exist. You can buy two GPUs and put them in different PCI slots but the "dual PCI GPU" described is not a thing.

that's not what i'm talking about.

that's not what i'm talking about.

Then what are you talking about? It seems that by specifying "a single GPU" OP is excluding literally no GPU ever sold.