Constant and weirdly regular ping spikes

rowtn
Go to solution Solved by bob345,

this may sound random, but do you have autodesk inventor installed? I had an issue with its updater that caused an issue just like this once.

Hi guys!

My first post here, thought this would be the best place to seek help as I see every post gets replied to pretty quick.

So, recently I've been having this very odd problem. About ever 10 seconds or so (it's quite literally consistently every 10 seconds), my ping jumps up to around 2000ms. Below is a screenshot of me pinging 2 IPs. The one on the left is Google's public DNS, and the one on the right is my router.

It's a little hard to tell from this screenshot, but the spikes happen at the same time. (Ping to the router is still very high, no clue what's up with that...).

This problem only started 2 days ago, and I didn't change anything knowingly. I've also done this ping test with my laptop and phone, and they don't have the same problem, they have a constant ping to these IPs.

I've also tried using a different network card to see if that's the issue, but with both the same problem occured.

I'm really at a loss at what to do. This problem makes games like CS:GO impossible to play online, for fun and competitively, and I have no clue what's going on.

Any help is appreciated!

And thanks in advance :D

Xlci3FC.png

Hi

All my drivers are up to date (according to windows anyways, any other way to check?).

I'm using wirelses, my card is a fresh Asus PCE-N15.

Hi

All my drivers are up to date (according to windows anyways, any other way to check?).

I'm using wirelses, my card is an fresh Asus PCE-N15.

For your router, are you using 2.4GHz or 5GHz and are you close to it or far away? How many walls, doors, etc.?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

2.4GHz, but when I have my laptop where my PC is, this issue isn't there.

I'll try that tomorrow. But connecting via cable isn't viable as the cable would have to run through main parts of the house to get to my room, lol.

The issue is with the connection between your router and your computer. Well done for checking the WiFi card. The next step would be to connect the computer to the router by cable and if that does not work try swapping out your router. If the cable works, try using 5ghz or trying to get rig of interference.

I'll try that tomorrow. But connecting via cable isn't viable as the cable would have to run through main parts of the house to get to my room, lol.

Well, you need to give it a try to rule out possible issues. Process of troubleshooting..

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Hi again

Had to go to a relatives place over the weekend so wasn't able to do the troubleshooting.

Back now, and tested with ethernet. Problem does not occur when connected via ethernet.

Edit: Also tested with anti-virus and firewall disabled. No improvement.

Hi again

Had to go to a relatives place over the weekend so wasn't able to do the troubleshooting.

Back now, and tested with ethernet. Problem does not occur when connected via ethernet.

Edit: Also tested with anti-virus and firewall disabled. No improvement.

It's an issue with your wireless mate. There might be something in your house blocking the signal, i.e. Antennas (tele/radio/etc.), big metal sheets, even the wiring for your houses power.

All of these can cause odd things like this (i've had the issue with a client in the past), try using a wifi booster or something similar, it should fix your problem but if you can't lend one anywhere then see if you can use a tool to pin point exactly where its being blocked.

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

• 1 month later...

It's an issue with your wireless mate. There might be something in your house blocking the signal, i.e. Antennas (tele/radio/etc.), big metal sheets, even the wiring for your houses power.

All of these can cause odd things like this (i've had the issue with a client in the past), try using a wifi booster or something similar, it should fix your problem but if you can't lend one anywhere then see if you can use a tool to pin point exactly where its being blocked.

When you said that, I kind of gave up and lived with the issue. However I have just had the oppurtunity to move my PC around, and the same problem exists.

Excuse the insanely delayed response :3

When you said that, I kind of gave up and lived with the issue. However I have just had the oppurtunity to move my PC around, and the same problem exists.

Excuse the insanely delayed response :3

I would say that it's an issue with the router then. Try factory resetting the wireless modem or if you have access to, test a different wireless modem and see if the same results happen.

This kind of troubleshooting is basically trial and error.

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

this may sound random, but do you have autodesk inventor installed? I had an issue with its updater that caused an issue just like this once.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I would say that it's an issue with the router then. Try factory resetting the wireless modem or if you have access to, test a different wireless modem and see if the same results happen.

This kind of troubleshooting is basically trial and error.

Yeah I have tried both of those suggestions already.

No but I do have other autodesk programs (3DS Max and Maya) and have no need for them on this machine anymore.

I've recently had the same problem, only with wireless

and while I can't find solution yet, but at least I can reproduce the problem.

also yes, it's quite weird I cannot reproduce same problem with laptop.

1. Do you use any wireless devices? (like bluetooth/wireless KB/M/Headset/etc)

2. Wireless channel you use, does it interlap with others wireless? (ex: u are using channel 1, your neighborhood using channel 3)

3. Do you have any other wifi devices to test it?

believe me, it's quite complicated with problem like this

personally I gave up using wireless for my personal computer for now, I've been using wireless since wireless b (that's when I first bought Nintendo DS) up until now without problems.

I've ask some person who's been known as "professional network admin" unfortunately there's no easy or rather no cheap solution.

Their advices, upgrade network to 5ghz, which basically mean get better hardware, but still there's no guarantee it will get better. (I wouldn't know)

Yeah I have tried both of those suggestions already.

No but I do have other autodesk programs (3DS Max and Maya) and have no need for them on this machine anymore.

could be autodesk 360 or the updater then. Turn of any autodesk backround applications that start with windows and see if it goes away

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its probably a program attempting to update. Check the running apps and running services (as some programs use a service to constantly check).

I've recently had the same problem, only with wireless

and while I can't find solution yet, but at least I can reproduce the problem.

also yes, it's quite weird I cannot reproduce same problem with laptop.

1. Do you use any wireless devices? (like bluetooth/wireless KB/M/Headset/etc)

2. Wireless channel you use, does it interlap with others wireless? (ex: u are using channel 1, your neighborhood using channel 3)

3. Do you have any other wifi devices to test it?

believe me, it's quite complicated with problem like this

personally I gave up using wireless for my personal computer for now, I've been using wireless since wireless b (that's when I first bought Nintendo DS) up until now without problems.

I've ask some person who's been known as "professional network admin" unfortunately there's no easy or rather no cheap solution.

Their advices, upgrade network to 5ghz, which basically mean get better hardware, but still there's no guarantee it will get better. (I wouldn't know)

1) Yes, wireless (i think bluetooth) keyboard. Turned it off and unplugged the dongle but issue still persists.

2) I've used an app on my phone to make sure channels don't overlap

3) All other WiFi connected devices work fine.

could be autodesk 360 or the updater then. Turn of any autodesk backround applications that start with windows and see if it goes away

I quit the autodesk updater (don't have 360), issue still persists.

Its probably a program attempting to update. Check the running apps and running services (as some programs use a service to constantly check).

Went through task manager and killed everything that resembles an updater, again, still didn't fix.

Could the issue be hardware related? I've already tried a different wireless card, so maybe there's something wrong in the pci slot or motherboard. (I really hope not)

1) Yes, wireless (i think bluetooth) keyboard. Turned it off and unplugged the dongle but issue still persists.

2) I've used an app on my phone to make sure channels don't overlap

3) All other WiFi connected devices work fine.

I quit the autodesk updater (don't have 360), issue still persists.

Went through task manager and killed everything that resembles an updater, again, still didn't fix.

Could the issue be hardware related? I've already tried a different wireless card, so maybe there's something wrong in the pci slot or motherboard. (I really hope not)

So with a different wireless card it doesn't happen?

Double check the drivers (uninstall and re-install) also

So with a different wireless card it doesn't happen?

Double check the drivers (uninstall and re-install) also

With a different card, it still happens, and I've done uninstalls/re-installs twice (just to be sure).

With a different card, it still happens, and I've done uninstalls/re-installs twice (just to be sure).

It's definitely software thats doing it. Boot a live distro of linux and do some testing to narrow it down further

It's definitely software thats doing it. Boot a live distro of linux and do some testing to narrow it down further

Yup! Turns out, it was indeed the Autodesk updater. I forgot to make it stop opening on startup, silly me.

Problem is now fixed! Thanks everyone for your help. <3

Yup! Turns out, it was indeed the Autodesk updater. I forgot to make it stop opening on startup, silly me.

Problem is now fixed! Thanks everyone for your help. <3

No worries, glad it was pinned down to software and not hardware issues, could have been a costly process to troubleshoot :P