[Guide] Customize Your Desktop

c00face

I'm sure many of you are like me, tired of the default, boring, need something new, and exciting. Some of you don't have much processing power, and don't really want to deal with Rainmeter either. This guide is to help you customize your desktop without using Rainmeter (which I don't know how to use anyways.)

Lets get started, and I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. The guide is to help you have an Ubuntu Linux management system + a OS X MAC feel that is organized.

Changing Your Windows Icon (This step isn't necessary, just makes it look better.)

- Windows Start Button Changer http://www.techspot.com/downloads/6198-windows-7-start-button-changer.html

- How To Change Your Application Icons and Folder Icons (You don't have to go this route, it's easier if you don't.)

• Find a set of icons for your desktop that you want. (I used the light tonken set, which can be found here: http://brsev.deviantart.com/art/Token-128429570*This set is not complete. You'll have to keep searching for the PNG or ICON that you want. This process can take you up to 2-3 hours because it's annoying to find the icon you need for your applications.
  • Once you have your set, this is the easy part. Just right click the "Application > Properties > Shortcut > Change Icon > Browse > "select the icon." *please note* You can only change icon on the shortcut. If you create another shortcut, you'll have to repeat the process of changing that icon also.
  • Inorder to see the change icon on a taskbar application that is pinned (Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer Folder, etc...) You must right click on the pinned application, and the application name will be shown through the menu, right click again through the menu list where the application is, and go to "Properties > Shortcut > Change Icon > Browse > "choose your icon."

*Please Note* The icon sometimes will not change instantly. You'll just have to wait, exit the program, or even have to restart your computer. Don't worry too much if it isn't changing instantly or 5 minutes after.

The Beginning Process To Changing Your Desktop Appearance

- Objectdock http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

• Gives your Windows a nice 3D looking dock (OS X Mac.) Not only is it nice, it is very well organized.
  • Just drag the applications on your desktop/applications you use to the dock once you installed the program.
  • Once that is completed, go ahead and delete all the short cut applications on your desktop.
  • This is clean up time, everything on your desktop must be cleared out, unless you like it that way.

- Rocketdock http://rocketdock.com/download

• Same as Objectdock, but instead of having a 3D animation and visual, rocketdock allows you to customize your own looks, and create your own theme. It's very simple, but can be rewarding if you put your time into it. But I recommend Objectdock because ez app ez life.

- Hiding All Your System Tray Junk

• Really, it's ugly too look it. I suggest to just hide all the icon, apps, and to only show when you press the drop list.
  • To do this: Right Click Task Bar > Properties > under notification area click Customize > under behavior, choose Hide Icon and Notifications.

- Managing All The Nasty Programs You Are Running, to make it look neat (Linux)

• Download the program call Winroll http://www.palma.com.au/winroll/
  • This is such an awesome tool, it allows you to manage your browser efficiently, transparent the application with the "press-in wheel button" and to roll up the application to the title bar with right-clicking the title bar. A must have.

- Having Multiple Monitors without the actual monitors

• Yes, you are downloading another program (it is wurff.) The program is called WindowsPager http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/
  • It allows you to have 4 multiple monitors up without having those extra monitors. Easy to navigate, manage your applications, gaming on the second tab, and going back the first tab to browse.
  • The third tab is for ninjas, and the fourth tab is for your sister to play Dora The Explorer.
  • Such an awesome program, a must download. Unless you like your sister playing with the mouse as you go take a piss. Causing you to die cause you AFK'ed on the fountain, playing LoL. Download or suffer reportino. #Bunch of toxic !@#!%

Yes. Yes. We are done. You can mess around to test what you like, what you don't like. Try out new ideas, and customization using different icons, skins, and themes. At the end of the day, if you don't like it, you can always revert back easily or just try out Rainmeter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5d-DaPx53Q

post-161677-0-21082100-1428357450_thumb.

post-161677-0-93821800-1428357450_thumb.

post-161677-0-87482400-1428357451_thumb.

post-161677-0-33606300-1428357452_thumb.

is it laggy at all?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

is it laggy at all?

Not at all. With WindowsPager, there's a little usage, but it isn't much for what the program offers. I'm running at 26% Ram usage having two browser open, League open, and Spotify puts it at 28% Ram usage. I'm digging it. But I opted out for the simplier Rocketdock instead of the Objectdock which uses 3D animations.

What's that little widget below your Coretemp widget?

GPU Observer. Simple, small widget, that just gives me information on GPU temps, fan speed, and GPU load.

I'm sure many of you are like me, tired of the default, boring, need something new, and exciting. Some of you don't have much processing power, and don't really want to deal with Rainmeter either. This guide is to help you customize your desktop without using Rainmeter (which I don't know how to use anyways.)

Thanks man, my wish has been answered :P

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I just find most of the skins and themes look really tacky

Honestly the only windows UI element I ever see, is the taskbar, I don't even have any Icons or anything on my desktop, just a nice wallpaper

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I just find most of the skins and themes look really tacky

Honestly the only windows UI element I ever see, is the taskbar, I don't even have any Icons or anything on my desktop, just a nice wallpaper

Same here, I like it neat and clean. But that's just probably me who's willing to sacrifice eye-candy stuffs for performance.

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

Same here, I like it neat and clean. But that's just probably me who's willing to sacrifice eye-candy stuffs for performance.

Yeah, though I do like some eye candy especially when gaming (as long as I can get a nice 60fps which I normally can on my rig)

I just hate having clutter, I barely use more than like steam, comms and  premier, so I dont need icons everywhere cluttering up, and all my files are on my server

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

not my cup of tea, I like minimalist and CUSTOM things...I make my own icons if one looks bad, my own cursors, and hide all the bars :D

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Never was a fan of all the desktop theming on Windows. I even patched the UxTheme.dll for Windows XP so I can install custom themes. I think it's just better to dual boot Linux and have all the graphical fun without hacking up the operating system.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice guide, might look into this today.

Judging by the previous comments, I think the community would benefit from a "Minimalist" edition of the guide, walking people through stripping the OS down for performance rather than customizing it like you did. Not saying what you did was wrong, it actually looks quite beautiful.

[witty signature]

Looks nice, where did u get that wallpaper of the stars? in the first picture below the video?

I think it would be awesome if you would check out Rainmeter and add it to the guide :P I use it as my primary CPU/RAM/HDD activity monitor.

EDIT: Sorry, skimmed through and didn't read the first paragraph.. :unsure:

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)