Linux Mint or Elementary OS?

Go to solution Solved by Satlen,

Linux Mint is probably more maintained and has less bugs. Mint will probably be more productive too. ElemetaryOS is more of a simple/lightweight os.

Hi,

I have a hard time choosing between Linux Mint and Elementary OS as my main OS. Its purpose is multimedia use and some programming (Perl). I dual boot with Windows 7 for games.

Both Mint and eOS are very popular, and the new stable release of eOS (codename Freya) is set for this week-end. I need to make a choice between these two, what's your recommendation?

Thank you,

T.

i've had bad experiences with elementary OS, so my vote is for linux mint.

I'm partial to the cinammon look of Mint but elementary is also nice looking. You can tweak both to whatever you need however, both are ubuntu based so there's plenty of support. Just flip a coin I guess?

-------

Current Rig

-------

If you want Window 7 ish look, try Zorin OS. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Linux Mint with cinnamon desktop it's just easier to use and has a better support than Luna.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

If you want Window 7 ish look, try Zorin OS. 

I've used Zorin OS for 6 months on my laptop. I liked it but it was a little clunky/bugged. I've also used Ubuntu in 2013 for work but I hate Unity.

I'm partial to the cinammon look of Mint but elementary is also nice looking. You can tweak both to whatever you need however, both are ubuntu based so there's plenty of support. Just flip a coin I guess?

Yeah I think I'll end up flipping a coin!

i've had bad experiences with elementary OS, so my vote is for linux mint.

What bad experiences? With Luna or Jupiter?

What bad experiences? With Luna or Jupiter?

i honestly dont remember which release it was, but neither me, or any of my friends managed to have an elementary OS install last for longer than a few days before it completely refused operation.

Install crunchbang (it is no longer in development but it is based on debian so the support is still there in that sense) and then upgrade the repos from wheezy to jessie. 

There's a countdown on Elementary's website, the Freya main release might be here soon if that matters to you. Otherwise I like Luna, although i've never used Mint as my main system is currently plain ol Ubuntu.

Lord of Helium.

Linux Mint is probably more maintained and has less bugs. Mint will probably be more productive too. ElemetaryOS is more of a simple/lightweight os.

Mint.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Ubuntu 15.04 would be my recommendation. It's rolling out later this month which brings further improvements to what 14.04 and 14.10 was. It seems as if Mint is going to be sticking to a LTS release cycle meaning they will continue to build off 17.1 which is built around Ubuntu 14.04. ElementaryOS Freya will also be built around Ubuntu 14.04. So if you're looking to stay up to date neither of them distributions will be a good choice. Ubuntu 15.04 is shipping with the 3.19 kernel and systemd as it's default init manager. I've tried it out on a VM and it boots and shuts down like a raped ape (thanks to systemd). Ubuntu 15.04 will also be shipping with a newer version of Gnome 3.14 which brings updated applications.

Another vote for Ubuntu.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

• 2 weeks later...