Disk / HDD not working :( :( :( SSD works fine?

Go to solution Solved by JaydenThatcher,

I don't see any additional SATA drivers. Is that particular SATA port dead? All others around it work?

Yea, its really fiddly, sometimes the drive works sometimes it does not! at the moment I have all 3 things working so I'm just not going to touch it but its still stupid that its that fiddly!

Hi there

Been doing the build and had a few issues that I'm hoping you guys can help me with!
First (this should be easy)
The disk drive has power (it will open and close) but It cannot read any disks and does not show up under my computer.
Second (A little bit more tricky)
The WD Blue drive is not showing up under drive manager (nor did it show up during windows 8.1 install) When I feel the HDD it does not vibrate at all. I am going to try swapping about power/sata cables to see if that fixes it, if not I will try putting it into another computer (if it does not work there its a dead drive)
Now after reading this you may think its the mobo, but the SSD is plugged into the same lot of sata connectors and works fine.

Thanks in advanced for you help
Jayden

Open Disk Management. Does the WD Blue drive appear there?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No it does not

Post a screenshot if possible.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Post a screenshot if possible.

There is nothing there to take a screen shot of, just the ssd

ALSO the dvd drive does show up in bois

There is nothing there to take a screen shot of, just the ssd

ALSO the dvd drive does show up in bois

If you can, put your ear up to the hard drive to see if you can hear the platters spinning.(I know you said you felt for vibration, but I'd also try putting your ear up to it)

If you can, put your ear up to the hard drive to see if you can hear the platters spinning.(I know you said you felt for vibration, but I'd also try putting your ear up to it)

Yea, I changed the position (and which cable its connected to) and can now hear it spinning 

Yea, I changed the position (and which cable its connected to) and can now hear it spinning 

Check Disk Management again if you did it after the initial check.

Ok so I changed around the order that they were placed in (the sata connectors) and now the HDD works (and the SSD) ???

Ok so I changed around the order that they were placed in (the sata connectors) and now the HDD works (and the SSD) ???

Does your motherboard have additional SATA connectors that require a driver in order to operate any device plugged into those ports? Can give us the motherboard model.

Does your motherboard have additional SATA connectors that require a driver in order to operate any device plugged into those ports? Can give us the motherboard model.

not sure... Here's the mobo = Gigabyte G1 Gaming Motherboard GA H97 Gaming 3

not sure... Here's the mobo = Gigabyte G1 Gaming Motherboard GA H97 Gaming 3

I don't see any additional SATA drivers. Is that particular SATA port dead? All others around it work?

Yea, its really fiddly, sometimes the drive works sometimes it does not! at the moment I have all 3 things working so I'm just not going to touch it but its still stupid that its that fiddly!