Intel Launches 750 series NVMe SSDs 2.5" and HHL PCI-e

werto165

"Intel are launching the new 750 Series range of SSD's these are PCI-E 3.0 versions with 4 lanes and are NVMe based SSD's

You can get them in two different flavours, either on a PCI-e Half Height Half length PCI-e adaptor card or a standard 2.5" SSD with PCI-express port on the SSD. A special cable is required for these. I am trying to Source these at the moment from Intel or anyone."

HD-069-IN_400.jpg
Introducing Intel's first client PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe SSD
Intel® SSD 750 Series designed for Gaming, Digital Content Creation and Workstations

PCIe Gen 3 x4 NVMe SSD - Reads 4x and Writes 2x current SATA SSDs
Performs quicker game and level load times for serious gamers
Delivers more bandwidth and lower latency for 4K UHD video editing and production
Performance tuned firmware with enthusiast in mind

Intel® SSD architecture with datacenter DNA
Industry leading client SSD endurance up to 120GB writes per day

World class quality and reliability Features
Based on Intel 4th generation controller
Backed by 5 year limited warranty
Dependable uptime for gaming and workstations

Intel 750 Series 400GB PCIe 3.0 X4 2.5" SSD NVMe Solid State Drive (SSDPE2MW400G401) @ £369.98 inc VAT 
Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCIe 3.0 X4 2.5" SSD NVMe Solid State Drive (SSDPE2MW012T401) @ £969.98 inc VAT 

HD-078-IN_400.jpg

Thanks @snowComet & @cesrai

A special cable is needed for the 2.5" drives apparently, but the guy who wrote the original article said that he's trying to find a source for that, I will update it if anyone finds some information. Anyway the performance of these drives seem quite good, no specific numbers on performance but I guess they're comparing speeds to their previous high end SSD's. What do you think of these SSD's? worth the price or are you going to wait it out for 3D nand from micron and intel? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I see no real point in blowing money on expensive SSDs right now. Get a Crucial M500 and have a nice day with a very good drive that doesn't break the bank. 

My PCIe SSDs are pricey, I have no choice. But for 2.5" solutions? Yea, I'll get like 2-3 Crucials and just RAID them. 

Yeah, is the countdown done now? Kappa.

Cool, hope they will become cheaper though :(

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If I could afford PCI-E SSD's, I'd be buying that ASRock board with 7-8 PCI-E lanes and fill it up with these in a RAID 0 or 1.

Wish I could win the lottery, I'd be doing crazy builds all the time and post them on YouTube...

I love enthusiast grade parts as much as the next, but i really dont get the speed increases with SSDs now days. When i moved from HDD to SSD it was amazing, but now upgrading SSD to SSD just seems silly. Nothing but professional grade tasks need it (audio/video editing, etc.), even building some of my biggest projects in junky programs like VS2010 doesnt really increase speed.

Pretty much wish they would back down off the speed and maybe try giving us something cool like a 3.5in SSD to give us capacity without having to get PCI-E. For the average, and even above average user, whats on the market is crazy good for now.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

This from OC3D

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I love enthusiast grade parts as much as the next, but i really dont get the speed increases with SSDs now days. When i moved from HDD to SSD it was amazing, but now upgrading SSD to SSD just seems silly. Nothing but professional grade tasks need it (audio/video editing, etc.), even building some of my biggest projects in junky programs like VS2010 doesnt really increase speed.

Pretty much wish they would back down off the speed and maybe try giving us something cool like a 3.5in SSD to give us capacity without having to get PCI-E. For the average, and even above average user, whats on the market is crazy good for now.

I very much agree with the lack of need for more speed and the desire for larger/cheaper drives.  But the physical size (2.5 vs  3.5) is not even remotely an issue.  The average 2.5 SSD only uses like 1/4 to 1/3 of the physical space in the drive.  It isn't an issue with that, its with overall cost vs controller complexity to manage that much flash vs consumer demand (both regular users and enterprise).

@werto165 there's also the pcper live show with an intel rep in half an hour, and they'll be discussing the SSD release as well as giving several away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR8zZvqzolE

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

@mvitkun thanks I'll be sure to tune in. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I am amazed at the tech and potential but I honestly can't think of a single thing I could do that would require anywhere near those speeds. There's just nothing I can do on my machine that could ever justify this drive other than the benchmarks themselves

-------

Current Rig

-------

Would you go with dual RAID 0 1TB 850 Pros or the 2.5inch 1.2TB version of this?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Would you go with dual RAID 0 1TB 850 Pros or the 2.5inch 1.2TB version of this?

Definitely the intel 750. It has 3-4 times the performance of a single 850. Sata drives in raid 0 can't even compare to this PCIe beast.

Shame that my motherboard isn't support, it's only validated by intel to work on the z79 and x99, however hopefully it would still work, you also need to have 2.3.1 UEFI bios too. 

If you're going to have a fast boot drive PCI-E SSD is the way to go and the $400 400GB model isn't that bad almost $1/gb and that's great!

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

If you're going to have a fast boot drive PCI-E SSD is the way to go and the $400 400GB model isn't that bad almost $1/gb and that's great!

They said that they're also looking into making an 800GB version, that would be the sweet spot I feel. 

A green PCB on something this amazing makes me cry

That being said, it's like $380 for the 400GB version, while the HyperX Predator M.2 is around the same for 240GB, and that's not even NVMe. This is an amazing price if you ask me.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Why can't they just make SSD's physically bigger?

Why can't they just make SSD's physically bigger?

because there are size standards. and i dont think anyone would want a 3.5" ssd drive. Making them bigger wont necessarily make them any cheaper either. Why would you pay the same amount for a large ssd when you can get the same amount of storage on a smaller one at the same price?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

because there are size standards. and i dont think anyone would want a 3.5" ssd drive. Making them bigger wont necessarily make them any cheaper either. Why would you pay the same amount for a large ssd when you can get the same amount of storage on a smaller one at the same price?

Why would know one want a 3.5" SSD, if they could make them bigger and cheaper? From my current understanding, there seems to be no reason why they couldn't just make them bigger, as they are using 3D flash now anyway. So if they had more space to play with they could use flash manufactured at a bigger process tat would be more cost effective and fit more in. The only reason that I can think of to not use 3.5" form factor would be factories/machine would need to be changed to manufacture them at that size and that they didn't want to split there markets up into 2.5" and 3.5". But seen as they already produce HDD in both sizes I don't know if my second point would be relevant. But as I do not work in this industry I couldn't really quantify any of these.

Those are pretty good IOPS for consumer drive they're selling it 3 times less price/GB compared to top enterprise ones. I know it's enthusiast piece of tech, but damn, it's priced as when SATA SSDs started to show xD. I'm just curious what makes NAND flash memory still so expensive vs HDDs.

When will we get these type of next gen SSDs for price of todays HDD?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Over 2.5GB/sec read!!!!! *mind blown*

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why would know one want a 3.5" SSD, if they could make them bigger and cheaper? From my current understanding, there seems to be no reason why they couldn't just make them bigger, as they are using 3D flash now anyway. So if they had more space to play with they could use flash manufactured at a bigger process tat would be more cost effective and fit more in. The only reason that I can think of to not use 3.5" form factor would be factories/machine would need to be changed to manufacture them at that size and that they didn't want to split there markets up into 2.5" and 3.5". But seen as they already produce HDD in both sizes I don't know if my second point would be relevant. But as I do not work in this industry I couldn't really quantify any of these.

That's not how flash chip pricing works, Silicon wafers are fixed in price, rarely if ever changing in price, so the only way to decrease the cost of flash is to shrink the process down to smaller and smaller nodes, making the flash chip take up a larger piece of the wafer makes it much more expensive. (That is one reason why Intels 2011 chips are that much more expensive compared to 115x chips)

The reason they made 3D-NAND on a larger process is because the 40nm lithography is a mature process that is known to work, trying to do both a 1xnm lithography and 3D-NAND at the same time would have been a disaster, eventually once the 1xnm lithography matures enough, 3D-NAND will move to it, allowing greater and greater bumps in capacity without changing the form-factor.

There is no reason to make a 3.5" SSD when we can stack PCB's inside a 2.5" form-factor and reach the same capacity as 3.5" while maintaining compatibility with laptops.

3.5" SSD's sound great at face value, but in reality they offer nothing that 2.5" doesn't already give us, and has the drawback of being only useful for desktop systems. 3.5" drives had a place in the early days of SSD's as the flash chips had limited capacity and being able to mount more onto a PCB required the larger space, but that is no longer the case.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Those are pretty good IOPS for consumer drive they're selling it 3 times less price/GB compared to top enterprise ones. I know it's enthusiast piece of tech, but damn, it's priced as when SATA SSDs started to show xD. I'm just curious what makes NAND flash memory still so expensive vs HDDs.

When will we get these type of next gen SSDs for price of todays HDD?

NAND just doesn't have the storage density per sq. mm or cubic mm that spinning rust HDDs do. And HDDs have plenty of room to grow in the density department. Once HAMR tech comes out you'll see up to 25TB 3.5" HDDs. I just wish someone would work out how to do better parallel and asynchronous reads and writes so we could get better access times. Truth is HDDs should have saturated the SATA 6 limits by now just as SSDs have.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd