GPU overclocking issue PLEASE NEED HELP

Hi,

So I used MSI afterburner overclock my gigabyte G1 gaming gtx 980 to 122% core voltage and +215 Mhz, I ran 3d mark regular firestorm and everything seemed ok i was getting like 60fps. Then i went into Assassins Creed Unity (which was working fine before at like 60 or 50 fps) and i suddenly noticed a massive fps drop to like 14 fps. I then decided to reset the overclock to factory settings, so i pressed the little reset button. I went back into the game and my fps was still at 14 fps. I restarted, and uninstalled MSI afterburner (seeing if maybe that would do something) and i still had the same problem. I have no idea what i fucked up but I really need help. please if anyone know what happened and how i could fix it, it would be much appreciated.

What is your vram usage? If it hits 4gb this could happen

Intel Core i7 9700k - EVGA FTW GTX 970

before i was not hitting the limit though? and also sorry but im new at this but while im playing the game how could i tell?

and also even in the main menu the fps drops dramatically, and my mouse is laggy

get yourself a monitoring tool.

also, try resetting your PC and going with a milder clock for a while

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

also it is hitting like 2.8 to 3 gigs

also it is hitting like 2.8 to 3 gigs

get yourself a monitoring tool.

also, try resetting your PC and going with a milder clock for a while

i did i clocked it back to factory settings for the card and it stayed laggy

i did i clocked it back to factory settings for the card and it stayed laggy

but did you reboot?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

but did you reboot?

i restarted computer, also to add i just ran 3dmark again and was getting 14fps

i restarted computer, also to add i just ran 3dmark again and was getting 14fps

oh shit son. get GPU-Z and  CPU-Z and check what it says your clocks are.

make sure your stock voltage is normal too, and check your temps incase you have temp throttling, but that shouldn't be it.

make sure your stock voltage is normal too, and check your temps incase you have temp throttling, but that shouldn't be it.

post-196386-0-17219700-1427958116.png

also i have a desktop gadget that is called gpu meter and it is saying that my gpu clock is staying at a constant 0MHz but the usage is going between 0%-4% on the desktop screen

weird. everything seems normal with your card.

have you tested your FPS on anything other than 3dmark? try assassin's creed again? 

also i have a desktop gadget that is called gpu meter and it is saying that my gpu clock is staying at a constant 0MHz but the usage is going between 0%-4% on the desktop screen

i use that too, it's normally only correct for VRAM and usage %

ok i dont know what the fuck just happend but assassins creed is running fine now... im never fucking with gpu overclocking again

i use that too, it's normally only correct for VRAM and usage %

ya idk what the fuck just happend but 3dmark and assassins creed are completely fine again

ok i dont know what the fuck just happend but assassins creed is running fine now... im never fucking with gpu overclocking again

just don't get so damn agressive with it.

if you want to get rough with it make your boost clock 1500, not your base clock. +213 is way too much. i run about +177 with mine, but i have a lower base clock than you. my base clock is like 1147 

i make my boost clock 1467MHz. no overvoltage, it works fine on air.

just don't get so damn agressive with it.

if you want to get rough with it make your boost clock 1500, not your base clock. +213 is way too much. i run about +177 with mine, but i have a lower base clock than you. my base clock is like 1147 

i make my boost clock 1467MHz. no overvoltage, it works fine on air.

will do thanks for the help

will do thanks for the help

i did run with lower clocks before i settled on that +177.

i ran +50something, then cranked it up to +133, +160 +233, back down to +200, then back to +177 where i got it stable without an overvolt.