Silent Gaming, Capture, Streaming and Editing PC

Hello,

This is my first PC build and will be used for gaming on a wide range of games (from AAA titles to Minecraft), capturing these games/footage from my Xbox, potentially streaming (I'd like the possibility at the least) and editing videos for export to YouTube (I'll be using Adobe CS).

The catch is that I want this build to be as quiet as possible and I'd like to future proof it a bit.

I'm in the UK and while I don't really have a constrained budget, I'd like to see if I can reduce costs. I may be able to get a free copy of Win8.1 from my university which would shave off £75.

I already have a mouse and headset (I do require a keyboard and a single monitor) and have compiled a list of parts that I am considering to purchase: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Wessel33/saved/PyqQzy

I won't be overclocking unless I can do so while keeping noise to an acceptable level.

I'd like to not change my case choice and the six core CPU's benefits should be seen during content creation despite all cores not being used for gaming so I feel that the CPU choice should be okay too.

I'm not too sure on what monitor to get, I'd like it to be 60+Hz, 16:9,1080p+ and good for gaming.

I aim to be purchasing parts/building in about 2/3 weeks.

If you have any questions then please ask.

Thank you for your interest and any help you offer.

You should wait to make the partslist until you are ready to buy because things change like prices and maybe something new comes out that should replace that other thing listed in a build given to you.

I'm constantly looking around but the partslist has been a great way for me to figure out what I need to buy, give me some idea of how much I'll be spending and lets me organise the build etc. I'll be reviewing it likely until the moment I'm buying components but as a first time builder I don't know too much past individual component reviews and don't know too much about whether this build is good for what I intend to do which is why I've decided to look for help on here.

Hello,

This is my first PC build and will be used for gaming on a wide range of games (from AAA titles to Minecraft), capturing these games/footage from my Xbox, potentially streaming (I'd like the possibility at the least) and editing videos for export to YouTube (I'll be using Adobe CS).

The catch is that I want this build to be as quiet as possible and I'd like to future proof it a bit.

I'm in the UK and while I don't really have a constrained budget, I'd like to see if I can reduce costs. I may be able to get a free copy of Win8.1 from my university which would shave off £75.

I already have a mouse and headset (I do require a keyboard and a single monitor) and have compiled a list of parts that I am considering to purchase: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Wessel33/saved/PyqQzy

I won't be overclocking unless I can do so while keeping noise to an acceptable level.

I'd like to not change my case choice and the six core CPU's benefits should be seen during content creation despite all cores not being used for gaming so I feel that the CPU choice should be okay too.

I'm not too sure on what monitor to get, I'd like it to be 60+Hz, 16:9,1080p+ and good for gaming.

I aim to be purchasing parts/building in about 2/3 weeks.

If you have any questions then please ask.

Thank you for your interest and any help you offer.

​Plan ahead 2-3 week make sense though... but since there's rumor that the 980Ti is coming out "soon" so you could want to wait for it.

Are you sure you are going to use all the power that the i7 5820k offer? else you can shave off quite abit from all that DDR4 X99 platform and pump more money on your GPU, which I think is quite lacking at 2000GBP mark.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£259.80 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£115.14 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£104.36 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Kingston Fury Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£99.96 @ CCL Computers) 
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£73.02 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£77.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£274.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£274.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£59.09 @ Aria PC) 
Monitor: LG 24GM77 144Hz 24.0" Monitor  (£216.19 @ Novatech) 
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£89.94 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Total: £1709.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-02 02:36 BST+0100

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Thank you for your reply.

If the 980Ti comes out in that time then it'll likely be expensive. It may bring down the price of other GPUs though so it'll be worth checking the 980 around that time or those dual 970s - thanks for the info!

The 5820k runs cooler than the 4790k right? Which will mean that my fans won't have to work as hard and will result in a quieter system. The power should be great for content creation but the build you've suggested interests me. Like I said though, I'd like to keep the case the same and a quiet power supply is a must.

Thank you for your reply.

If the 980Ti comes out in that time then it'll likely be expensive. It may bring down the price of other GPUs though so it'll be worth checking the 980 around that time or those dual 970s - thanks for the info!

The 5820k runs cooler than the 4790k right? Which will mean that my fans won't have to work as hard and will result in a quieter system. The power should be great for content creation but the build you've suggested interests me. Like I said though, I'd like to keep the case the same and a quiet power supply is a must.

Nope, the other GPU price wont come down, unless Nvidia do something stupid like making the 980Ti come at 500USD. The 980 and 970 will stay at the same price untill at least the 10xx series coming out, or it wont drop, ever, like the 780 and 770.

And... nope, if anything the 5820k should be hotter than the 4790k because it draw more power to pump it 6 cores. If you want a quite system, those AIO Watercooler like Kraken X61, H100i GTX etc will do the job perfectly without causing too much, if any, noise. 

Case is mostly personal choice so... I modified a pre-build I have so the case is different, but what case you want is totally up to you.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

Oh that's odd. I'm not sure it'll be too useful then but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Reviews I've seen say it actually runs cooler - the 4790k is a very hot chip Oced or not. I was considering an AIO watercooler but reviews I saw said that the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 is quieter and would be okay for a 4790k - so okay for 5820k, would this not be the case? I suppose if the stock AIO fans are too loud then I could swap them out for Noctua fans.

Ah okay, thanks!

This PC will be the most silent (and it's color themed!)

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£259.80 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£115.14 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  (£92.36 @ More Computers) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£273.59 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card (2-Way SLI)  (£273.59 @ Aria PC) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.93 @ Aria PC) 
Monitor: Dell U2515H 60Hz 25.0" Monitor  (£249.54 @ Aria PC) 
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB UK Wired Gaming Keyboard  (£143.94 @ Aria PC) 
Total: £1807.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-02 03:20 BST+0100

The Rig: NZXT H440 M3 (Green and Black) (Ncase M1 coming soon!!) | Intel Core i5-4690k x BeQuiet PureRock Slim | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC  | ASUS H81i Plus | 12GB EVGA SSC @ 1600MHz | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Sandisk Ultra II 480GB | Corsair SF 450| LG 29" Ultrawide | CoolerMaster Quickfire Rapid TKL | Corsair M65 Black Sennheiser HD 558 (MOD) | Audio-Technica ATR 2500

Oh that's odd. I'm not sure it'll be too useful then but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Reviews I've seen say it actually runs cooler - the 4790k is a very hot chip Oced or not. I was considering an AIO watercooler but reviews I saw said that the Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 is quieter and would be okay for a 4790k - so okay for 5820k, would this not be the case? I suppose if the stock AIO fans are too loud then I could swap them out for Noctua fans.

Ah okay, thanks!

Usually that's what people do, swap the fans. I'm pretty sure that the fans that come with the X61 is good enough already, but the old H100i I currently have need some different fan to run quieter.

In the benchmark test on Kitguru, in stock config the 5820k run cooler, but in load the 4790k run cooler while both using a H100i to cool it. The main reason I suggest changing it because the 5820k may be way overkill for what you want to do, and X99 platform + DDR4 isnt exactly the cheapest out there. In term of raw performance, the 5820k is much better, and it justified the extra temperature and price. But as you are gaming, getting better GPU is more important here.

Thank you both.

Usually that's what people do, swap the fans. I'm pretty sure that the fans that come with the X61 is good enough already, but the old H100i I currently have need some different fan to run quieter.

Okay, I think I'll take another look at AIOs.

In the benchmark test on Kitguru, in stock config the 5820k run cooler, but in load the 4790k run cooler while both using a H100i to cool it. The main reason I suggest changing it because the 5820k may be way overkill for what you want to do, and X99 platform + DDR4 isnt exactly the cheapest out there. In term of raw performance, the 5820k is much better, and it justified the extra temperature and price. But as you are gaming, getting better GPU is more important here.

Okay, and it seems you and Charlie both suggest two 970s instead of a single 980. Any particular reason? Also no additional case fans in either build - do I not need any extra for a silent build?

Thank you both.

Okay, I think I'll take another look at AIOs.

Okay, and it seems you and Charlie both suggest two 970s instead of a single 980. Any particular reason? Also no additional case fans in either build - do I not need any extra for a silent build?

More fan = more noise~ and in a normal case you dont really need additional fans other than the stock fan that come with the case to keep the CPU and GPU cool anyway

2 970 cost about 100$ more than 1 980, and out perform it quite a bit.

Okay, I'm changing the build to a 4790k. Not sure that I need two 970's though - isn't that a bit overkill if I'll be running at 1080p?