HDD DYING! -something finally snapped in my head.

monaka25

Ok.. Sometimes with my foot, I lean my gaming pc to the side.. :P           And the gaming pc sometime fall's back to its feat very small amount.. well I have a 1TB hdd that was pulled from a 7 year old Dell Optiplex. I have had it be in a dell dimension that has fell about a foot from a shelf.. I believe it was in there at the time. It has been  left out, been stored.. Idk if it had been dropped :P

Ok, here is why I think my HDD is dying. Obviously I have been Ziftrcoin mining on my PC for the past few days. But I have been hearing a noise for over a weak.. I think I knew it was my HDD.. but I thought it was writing because of my mining for some reason.. I started mining a few minutes ago.. then stopped it, and still I hear the HDD sometimes.. The  HDD isn't making the noise at the second.. but it was.. is it because it was running a frozen program? O.. it is making a few tiny noises here and there... And from Linus's NCIX video I once watched long ago when I didn't have this PC, I was on a all in one.. (I had the HDD, but not using it, stored in the dell dimension for the heck of it :P

Noise=Impending doom. That is what I heard, What should I back up too? I know the impending dooooom is coming!

I have used 160gb.. so I should probs buy a new HDD. but that transfer process will be teh hard part..

Yes, its is one of those Old old 1TB WD drives that doesn't have a color name, and says somthing about Enterprise on it.. Lol. Its old.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

crystaldiskinfo will tell you the health of the HDD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

eh I have a (quiet) clicking drive which is not the same as the clicks of death and its been like that for the past what 6 years?

so loud click or quiet click?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Mining should have no effect on you HDD whatsoever, and if it's been running for 7 years, then really you should consider replacing it. If it's dying, there's nothing you can do. just be glad that it still works to some extent so that you can transfer everything on it.

Actually, about 1 year of it was abandoned, 1 year it was rarely  used in a dell dimension, and the only time untill the past few weeks it has made that noise.. was when I was installing a OS on it that was only used once, and just a stupid project that was nothing. and all the years before those.. I didn't have that Optiplex. It basically sounds like its writing, but like for a few split seconds like 10 times per minute, when I'm done mining, it is louder for some reason, but in the time of just browsing, it makes like 20 tiny write noises per minute, that last about 0.5 to 1 second each.. maybe sometimes with big intervals between them. Sounds like rocks.. but heck.. it is old, and it sounded like that when I one time put a OS on it.. and no, there is no OS on it.. I only used that PC once.. just some laying around pc, then took the HDD out after wasting space on a OS.. then it sat around, then I installed it in my gaming pc, and wiped it. I have my OS on a HDD.. So I only have programs on this HDD.. That does include steam games. Which won't be complicated to move :P

So yeah, the miner isn't even installed on the HDD, it just ramps for a minute.. well atleast has the write noise more constantly after a couple minutes of stopping the mining.. but like I SAID.. has random write noises.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5

eh I have a (quiet) clicking drive which is not the same as the clicks of death and its been like that for the past what 6 years?

so loud click or quiet click?

Well, when constant(actually downloading somthing, its loud, it isn't click's.. it sounds kidna rocky.. Idk.. almost like rumble.. Idk. It isn't nothing. It is quieter rumble noise the little tiny noises the several times it makes either minute. 

Wait.. does this mean this Old HDD has its impending doom coming?

Well, when constant(actually downloading somthing, its loud, it isn't click's.. it sounds kidna rocky.. Idk.. almost like rumble.. Idk. It isn't nothing. It is quieter rumble noise the little tiny noises the several times it makes either minute. 

sounds normal but 7 years is still a lot to ask and get another one and back up to it just in case

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

buy a new hard drive asap and cut and paste to it or clone it. I would never expect 7 years from a hard drive. (have 13 terabytes of them)

buy a new hard drive asap and cut and paste to it or clone it. I would never expect 7 years from a hard drive. (have 13 terabytes of them)

Idk if the drive is 7 years old.. but Ik I pulled it from a 7 year old PC.. and forgot to mention it wasn't used tooo much :P       So maybe in that consideration its normal.. Lol

iT looks liike this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136828&ignorebbr=1And I looked on the model listed.. and its the same as the model listed in properties.. except the properties has many numbers after it.. but the main things are the same. :P Ima see when it was launch.. It says "certified by dell"" Already should've known because It was pulled from a Dell Optiplex :P

On a spec page from WD.. it said somthing like "Copyright 2008" Idk when this particular WD1002FBYS Was made.. but Ik it was launched about 7 year ago.. Idk when it was discontinued tho..

Can someone tell me when the drive model WD1002FBYS was discontinued so I can know the absolute yougest it couold be? I can't find it :P

It isn't making noise right now. Perhaps its good for now.. because I was about to get a 250gb or 500gb WD blue from a diff PC.. But idk which compacity it is.. but not the point.. I realized there is soda...(I'm guessing) Spilled all over it.  Lol.. time for another troubleshooting post.. if that PC is fried.. I hope the HDD isn't.. the cpu, and ram... ect.

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Ok.. Sometimes with my foot, I lean my gaming pc to the side.. :P           And the gaming pc sometime fall's back to its feat very small amount.. well I have a 1TB hdd that was pulled from a 7 year old Dell Optiplex. I have had it be in a dell dimension that has fell about a foot from a shelf.. I believe it was in there at the time. It has been  left out, been stored.. Idk if it had been dropped :P

Ok, here is why I think my HDD is dying. Obviously I have been Ziftrcoin mining on my PC for the past few days. But I have been hearing a noise for over a weak.. I think I knew it was my HDD.. but I thought it was writing because of my mining for some reason.. I started mining a few minutes ago.. then stopped it, and still I hear the HDD sometimes.. The  HDD isn't making the noise at the second.. but it was.. is it because it was running a frozen program? O.. it is making a few tiny noises here and there... And from Linus's NCIX video I once watched long ago when I didn't have this PC, I was on a all in one.. (I had the HDD, but not using it, stored in the dell dimension for the heck of it :P

Noise=Impending doom. That is what I heard, What should I back up too? I know the impending dooooom is coming!

I have used 160gb.. so I should probs buy a new HDD. but that transfer process will be teh hard part..

Yes, its is one of those Old old 1TB WD drives that doesn't have a color name, and says somthing about Enterprise on it.. Lol. Its old.

Hey monaka25,

What is the drive's model? I would suggest running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to check the drive's health and possibly see what is causing the problem. I would run both the quick and the extended tests :) Here's a link: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810〈=en

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey monaka25,

What is the drive's model? I would suggest running WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to check the drive's health and possibly see what is causing the problem. I would run both the quick and the extended tests :) Here's a link: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=810〈=en

Captain_WD

Sorry about late reply, but it is: WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6BO I haven't tested the drive yet, and it hasn't made the noise today.. It says drive status: This device is working properly... yes it is working.. but I think its not ganna :P                  I think the Drive is more referred to as, well atleast the model code, WD1002FBYS        

Thanks for the help.. but I will probably not.. but thx tho :) Maybe I will.. Lol. I don't have a drive tho :P so ye

Sorry about late reply, but it is: WDC WD1002FBYS-02A6BO I haven't tested the drive yet, and it hasn't made the noise today.. It says drive status: This device is working properly... yes it is working.. but I think its not ganna :P                  I think the Drive is more referred to as, well atleast the model code, WD1002FBYS        

Have you tested the hard drive?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

Have you tested the hard drive?

I am testing with a WD program that doesn't need a usb flash drive :P But thx! I did like the vid just now. :P Thx Liked! 

Hey monaka25,

Captain_WD.

When I ran the quick test, lasted 2 minutes. In the first 30 seconds, my Hdd sounded like a car motor scaled down by alot. Idk. Sounded like a broken xbox 360 power supply almost :/.. Had that mechanical sound to it :P But it past the test... I'ma run the extended version :/

The extended test is a bit too long for meh :/ Sorreh. I'm not going to fully run it.. I will end it now.. just been a few minutes :P Again.. in the first 20-30 seconds.. it mades a noise.. but a different one this time.. the one is origionally makes.. the rocky noise.

The extended test is a bit too long for meh :/ Sorreh. I'm not going to fully run it.. I will end it now.. just been a few minutes :P Again.. in the first 20-30 seconds.. it mades a noise.. but a different one this time.. the one is origionally makes.. the rocky noise.

I would replace this hard drive immediately 

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

Spoiler

When I ran the quick test, lasted 2 minutes. In the first 30 seconds, my Hdd sounded like a car motor scaled down by alot. Idk. Sounded like a broken xbox 360 power supply almost :/.. Had that mechanical sound to it :P But it past the test... I'ma run the extended version :/

The quick test checks the S.M.A.R.T. status of the drive while the extended checks thoroughly the drive for bad sectors. The long one does take a long time to finis and I would advise you to complete it. Since the drive passed the quick test, I believe it either has a physical/mechanical problem or it has bad sectors. Either way, I would also suggest replacing the drive. You can check its warranty status here: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=DYn5ya

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

The drive that you have is an older 1TB WD RE3 which is a 7,200 rpm Enterprise SATA2 (3Gb/s) HDD. It is optimized with features for reliability and  performance. Here's some more info on the drive: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=CPEQ6A:)

Captain_WD.