2x r9 270 vs 1x gtx 970

Zach's Tech Tips

Hey linus community i was just wondering if you know of any benchmarks with the use of 2x r9 270's and a gtx 970 at ultra 1080p. 

In your opinion which do you think is better 

Thanks

Zach

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

970 is better, always go for the single best gpu in your budget. upgrading will be easier later on too

Dual 270

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Hey linus community i was just wondering if you know of any benchmarks with the use of 2x r9 270's and a gtx 970 at ultra 1080p. 

In your opinion which do you think is better 

Thanks

Zach

Nvidia GeForce GTX Nine Seventy - Powered by Nvidia's maxwell architecture.

970 is better, by a LOT.

Pretty sure 1 970 will beat 2 270's

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Or save some money and get a 290x which beats the dualies and the 970 in pure powuuhhh

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I´d go for the GTX970. A powerful single GPU is always better than 2 slow GPUs in CF or SLI.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Or save some money and get a 290x which beats the dualies and the 970 in pure powuuhhh

I thought you weren't aloud that as your profile picture

290x beats 970 by little bit in 4K, in a 1080 nope. Also temperatures and power consumption is better in both terms on 970.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

290x beats 970 by little bit in 4K, in a 1080 nope. Also temperatures and power consumption is better in both terms on 970.

in gaming at 1080p they are equal in rendering and opencl the 290x wrecks face 

I thought you weren't aloud that as your profile picture

April fools excwption

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

As much as Nvidia fanboys will tell you otherwise, two R9 270 will outperform a 970 in games properly optimized for CrossFire, and given that 2GB of VRAM is not a bottleneck

BF3_02.png

"Rawr XD"

1% average difference at 1080, you won't notice the difference

Avg-Perf-1080.png

"Rawr XD"

1% average difference at 1080, you won't notice the difference

I worded it badly with the ''nope'' what I meant is that on a 1080p the 970 is no brainer. Runs cooler, uses less electricity and almost all of the models have the ''0db feature'' If you can find cheap r9 290x somewhere, yes, it's a good option. If at the same price 970 hands down.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

in gaming at 1080p they are equal in rendering and opencl the 290x wrecks face April fools excwption

At least state that in the profile...

Just get a single 980 and call it a day.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I worded it badly with the ''nope'' what I meant is that on a 1080p the 970 is no brainer. Runs cooler, uses less electricity and almost all of the models have the ''0db feature'' If you can find cheap r9 290x somewhere, yes, it's a good option. If at the same price 970 hands down.

100% but they are anywhere from $50 to $70 cheaper

100% but they are anywhere from $50 to $70 cheaper

In my country there is almost 0 difference. Depends on the luck/country. Sometimes it's hard to answer these questions on a international forum. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I would get the 970, once you get two 270's you have no where to go, at least with one 970 you have the option of adding another later.

You also need to consider the mobo as well, a SLI mobo will be more expensive however a non crossfire board will be cheaper.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

honestly even if the performance is similar i'd still recommend a single gpu. reasons are:

1) You don't have to worry about crossfire/sli support (something that is often missing day one)

2) You don't have to worry about poor crossfire/sli support

3) CF/SLI scaling varies from game to game

4) You're using up more power and putting out more heat

The only time I'd recommend multi gpu setups is if you can't do it on a single card, for example, multi monitor 4k gaming (extreme example but the titan x is pretty decent at 4k on a single card....) or for maxing out games at 1440p @ 144 fps.

CF/SLI mid range cards makes next to no sense UNLESS you only have 150 to 200 to spend and already have one of the cards. Then I kinda get it but i still don't recommend it.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB