Monitor Advice 1440p

Hello world!  :)

Seems fitting since this is my first post here. I am in search of a new monitor and to be honest, even though I try to keep up with the current technological development, (as much as it is possible..^^) monitors have slightly floated out of sight.... (which means I  know what I want, but not have no clue what I need....  :D ). Anyways, since we got an office upgrade I got to spent some time in front of some pretty nice 27'' 1440p office monitors by HP and Eizo and got the feeling that it is time do upgrade. Currently I have a LG 1080p 23'', which I will probably keep (if i can fit it on my desk) since I do miss working with multiple screens (used to have a second 19'' 4/3). So, thats that.

However, when I surfed my trusted retailers homepage I was quite puzzled to find 1440's to range from ~350€ to >800€ with all the bells and whistles included and even found lots of UHD-screens that were cheaper, even though I doubt they are any good... (are they?)

Since I am a student and do also work for a software company from home the use cases are the following: lots of office stuff, net research, writing papers etc. Since I am a student  there is of course some gaming involved (mostly FPS, single & multiplayer, FraCry4, CS:GO etc.and some RPG), but it is far from professional. For movies I got a TV, so 21:9 is not necessarily important, 1080p vertical would be not upgrade and those 1440p widescreens are hella sexy, but damn are they expensive....

So in conclusion:

- any recommendations for a 1440p monitor around 500 bucks (available in Germany)?

- would be 4k an option? I'd guess the scaling ruins the gain in screen real estate for productivity and the demand for GPU power ruins the gaming experience?

- is it worth to wait? Even though I won't buy a G Sync monitor, FreeSync is comming, any chance it might cut prices overall? (in the end, I am a poor student...  :rolleyes:)

System specs in my profile, but the relevant part is probably only be the 970...^^

Kind regards from Germany 

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302