What Should I Buy? GTX 960 or Used GTX 770?

So in the process of picking the parts for my new PC I got to the awesome stage of picking out the graphics card! I can only spend $250 max on the graphics card and I wanted a solid performer so I have picked out two graphics cards. The new SSC GTX 960 and a used SC GTX 770. Both are in the price range of $200-210. So please help me decide. Also if you have found a better GTX graphics card please tell me!

The 960 can outperform the 770 if you overclock it well. 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

I'd say pick up a new R9 280X

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I'd say pick up a new R9 280X

http://graphics-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/graphics-card-comparison-raw-power-isnt-everything-gtx-770-vs-r9-280x.html

GTX 770 pretty much outperforms the R9 280X. 

GTX 770 or OC a GTX 960 to heaven

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Then what does the 770 do if you overclock it well?

magic. it does magic

the OC argument is always a dumb one. if you can OC one card you can OC the other and the more powerful (at stock) card will win (when overclocked) unless you get very unlucky and get a crappy gpu for overclocking (which could happen with the 960 just as easily). if the price is similar get the 770, it is flat out better than the 960.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

http://graphics-cards-review.toptenreviews.com/graphics-card-comparison-raw-power-isnt-everything-gtx-770-vs-r9-280x.html

GTX 770 pretty much outperforms the R9 280X. 

GTX 770 or OC a GTX 960 to heaven

2GB is not enough.

2GB is not enough.

then buy a 4gb 770 duhh

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

2GB is not enough.

The bench just showed how the 770 beats the 280X, how is that not enough???

The bench just showed how the 770 beats the 280X, how is that not enough???

He's reffering to the VRAM not the performance.

He's reffering to the VRAM not the performance.

The GPU will run out of juice before the VRAM ever becomes relevant, Its a mute argument.

The GPU will run out of juice before the VRAM ever becomes relevant, Its a mute argument.

AMD's drivers have increased the performance of AMD cards insanely in the past year(s). The R9 290, for example, with new drivers beats the GTX 780 in a lot of games.

Get yourself r9 280x, in terms of performance its neck in neck with gtx 770, with 1gb more vram, highly recommended! Good luck!

To answer the question you actually asked, I'd much rather have a new 960 SSC over a used 770 SC. Not even close, I'll take the 3 year warranty and the better driver support when the performance of the two cards is pretty similar. Besides, if you register within 14 days, then you have the option of stepping up to a 970 if you're not satisfied with the performance within 90 days or if you come up on the extra $130 or so within that time.

Not necessarily, higher texture resolutions are being introduced in games and 2gb gets stretched even in BF4. Who knows what will happen when GTA V and The Witcher 3 come out. 2gb might be fine right now but even now it's being stretched, a 2gb card will definitely be handicapped in the coming year. 

So in the process of picking the parts for my new PC I got to the awesome stage of picking out the graphics card! I can only spend $250 max on the graphics card and I wanted a solid performer so I have picked out two graphics cards. The new SSC GTX 960 and a used SC GTX 770. Both are in the price range of $200-210. So please help me decide. Also if you have found a better GTX graphics card please tell me!

You might actually consider spending a few bucks extra on a 4GB GTX 960. I found some benchmarks that show, surprisingly, that performance can be significantly better with the 4GB card in some games. The difference in Assassin's Creed Unity is huge in these benchmarks of an Asus Strix 960 2GB and an EVGA SSC 960 4GB. The difference in Battlefield Hardline is 10% also. The other games he tested, FC4, Cities Skylines, Metro Last Light, showed little or no gain.

Not necessarily, higher texture resolutions are being introduced in games and 2gb gets stretched even in BF4. Who knows what will happen when GTA V and The Witcher 3 come out. 2gb might be fine right now but even now it's being stretched, a 2gb card will definitely be handicapped in the coming year. 

Eh, personally I don't think so. But I am excited to see if I'm right or wrong (And I could very well be far off from right) 

You might actually consider spending a few bucks extra on a 4GB GTX 960. I found some benchmarks that show, surprisingly, tha8F2D6t performance can be significantly better with the 4GB card in some games. The difference in Assassin's Creed Unity is huge in these benchmarks of an Asus Strix 960 2GB and an EVGA SSC 960 4GB. The difference in Battlefield Hardline is 10% also. The other games he tested, FC4, Cities Skylines, Metro Last Light, showed little or no gain.

Yes! I have read all of the replys and I have decided I will buy a GTX 960 4gb edition and overclock it to an extent. So thank you so much for helping me choose and have a wonderfull day!

Yes! I have read all of the replys and I have decided I will buy a GTX 960 4gb edition and overclock it to an extent. So thank you so much for helping me choose and have a wonderfull day!

Glad I could help. It seems to be a pretty nice card with the extra RAM.