HDD not working

Hi,

I have been having troubles latelly after re-install windows 8.1, due to an error on my C drive. Previously, my other HDD was working more than fine, yet, after switching from 8 to 7 and back to 8, it doesn't function properly anymore. When I connect it, it gets stuck on the windows booting screen taking me to a black screen after 30 minutes of wait. Yet, when I remove it and use only my SSD, it works. I have already set it my SSD as main boot option in the Bios, but nothing changes :-(.

There may be some old MBR partitions or something on the second drive.  If you have your install disk for windows, pop in the drive, load up the install from the windows disk, and just get to the part where you pick the drive to install, and see if there are extra partitions on the secondary drive.  If there are, delete them (they should be 100MB or similar sized). 

Hi,

I have been having troubles latelly after re-install windows 8.1, due to an error on my C drive. Previously, my other HDD was working more than fine, yet, after switching from 8 to 7 and back to 8, it doesn't function properly anymore. When I connect it, it gets stuck on the windows booting screen taking me to a black screen after 30 minutes of wait. Yet, when I remove it and use only my SSD, it works. I have already set it my SSD as main boot option in the Bios, but nothing changes :-(.

Hey scruffy0402,

As @ChineseChef mentioned, there could be old partitions or files interfering with your current boot files. I would suggest running disk management as an administrator and checking if there are other partitions. Also you could also check that from the CMD by typing diskpart and then list volume. 
Plugging another drive in the system except your current HDD would help you figure out if the problem comes from the drive or somewhere else from your system.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

There may be some old MBR partitions or something on the second drive.  If you have your install disk for windows, pop in the drive, load up the install from the windows disk, and just get to the part where you pick the drive to install, and see if there are extra partitions on the secondary drive.  If there are, delete them (they should be 100MB or similar sized). 

Hi,

Ok I will try those and see if it works, thanks for the help.