2 GTX 970's or a GTX 980

Chrislandry238

So just seeing if anyone has any comments or opinions on whether to go with 2 GTX 970's for about $850 or less or get a single GTX 980 for like $750 or less. From reviews having two GTX 970's is better, higher FPS and I definitely don't want to spend $1400+ on two GTX 980's. PS I don't like radeons. Or has anyone heard about a new card from Nvidia coming after the 980 (possibly the ti)

So just seeing if anyone has any comments or opinions on whether to go with 2 GTX 970's for about $850 or less or get a single GTX 980 for like $750 or less. From reviews having two GTX 970's is better, higher FPS and I definitely don't want to spend $1400+ on two GTX 980's. PS I don't like radeons. Or has anyone heard about a new card from Nvidia coming after the 980 (possibly the ti)

The 980Ti seems very unlikely, and if it does come out? It will be very expensive, between 800-1000.

I vote 2x 970s, I have them in one of my rigs.

Edit: And yes, the 2x 970s do 4K just fine in 95% of games.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

The 980Ti seems very unlikely, and if it does come out? It will be very expensive, between 800-1000.

I vote 2x 970s, I have them in one of my rigs.

+1 agreed

2 970's will be more than enough for most power users for a while

2 970's is the psu supports it

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I'm gonna buck the trend and say one 980. I have one and love it. Put the $100 you save in the bank and save more for another year and buy a 2nd 980 when they come down in price, then you'll be set.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

I think it depends on you honestly. If you want a set-it-and-forget-it solution...throw in a 980 and you're done. No, you won't be getting the same performance of 2x970's; but you won't have to deal with the general SLI frustration on certain titles/drivers/etc. Also, leaves you the ability to toss in another 980 down the road if you need the extra GPU power.

However, if you don't mind the potential hassle/frustration of dealing with an SLI setup, you just want the most bang for your buck, grab 2x970's and thoroughly enjoy.

I can see both sides of the coin, so choose the side that best fits you.

See the games that you are going to play the most. In my case, I play Final Fantasy XIV witch has a very bad SLI profile (Know issue for a while) so a single 980 would have been a better decision. But, for most of the others games, 2x970 are great. A bit of stuttering (Dying Light...) but then again, It might not be the cards but the games...

CPU 4790k – Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Formula - RAM 32GBs (8GBx4) 2400Mhz TRIDENT-X – GPU GTX 1080 MSI – Case Obsidian 450D –Storage Corsair / OCZ SSD – PSU Corsair HX850i –Display ASUS ROG SWIFT PG178Q 1440p 144Hz – Cooling Noctua NH-D15

If you can, hope for a factory overclocked version of the GTX 980.  EVGA is best known for having special versions of it. 

Pretty much every single modern game works great with SLI and it matters huge what resolution is being played. Sli'd 970`s blow the 980 out of the water, and if you are playing 1440p or 4k you will need and want the extra firepower.

Here is a link to some benchmarks....

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_970_SLI/1.html

Awesome thanks for the advice, its still making it hard becasue right now I have a Benq 27 inch monitor with 120 refresh rate, it only does 1080p but if I were looking to buy a Asus monitor capable of 1440p(with gsync) later then should I go with 980 or sli 970s?

Also I'm kinda leaning towards a sli 970s since I think it'll be just as good as 980 when I'm only doing 1080p then like and if I wanted to get a 1440p monitor I'd be set I would think unless anyone else has any further opinions?

I checked vembutech's link and theres a small margin where the EVGA comes out on top however, I've had issues with EVGA products i the past. ASUS has always performed as it should

Why not like radeon, anyways 980 because no SLI issues

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni