How much SSD space is Aquired by windows?

I was Planning to put my OS on a 256gb Adata premiere pro ssd.... But i was wondering that will the os need the full 256 GB or I can Use it for storing other files.  I have heard people saying that you should put ur os, windows files and some games on ur ssd for smooth performance..

win 7 average 20-25GB

win 8 average 15-20GB

More ram you have will also affected pagefile.sys file in windows system

so if you have 16GB RAM try to allocate 20GB+16GB for it.

Here's what usually takes up space initially on an OS drive:

• 20GB - Operating System
  • 1-3GB - OS updates
  • 1-5GB - Drivers
  • 1-5GB - Essential Programs (Security, browsers, office)

Other things to consider are local copies of cloud storage (GDrive, DropBox) which will take up somewhere between a couple hundred MB and 10GB+ depending on how much you use them.

Personally, I use a 250GB SSD for my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), and I install all of my programs to it, including Steam, Origin, and Google Drive, and that leaves about 200GB of space to mess around with. About half of that 200GB is currently taken up by games and large downloads that I should clear out. And a little more is taken up by virtual machines. I use my 1TB HDD for any large and slow storage such as video.

In all, I still have plenty of room on my SSD for extra games and stuff. Though with GTAV looking like it'll be 65GB+, I imagine I might need to do a small clearout.

Desktop  i5-4440 -- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 -- KFA2 GTX560 Ti  -- 4x4GB 1600MHz -- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -- CM HAF 932 -- 1TB+640GB

Laptop  i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz -- 2x4GB 1600Mhz -- GT640M -- OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 60GB

Smartphone HTC One M8 - Sense 6 5.0.1

University MSci Ethical Hacking, Coventry University

I was Planning to put my OS on a 256gb Adata premiere pro ssd.... But i was wondering that will the os need the full 256 GB or I can Use it for storing other files.  I have heard people saying that you should put ur os, windows files and some games on ur ssd for smooth performance..

Keep about 40GB reserved for Windows and drivers. *Usually* a safe bet. Windows on it's own should only use around 20GB. With updates - more. With drivers - more.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Keep about 40GB reserved for Windows and drivers. *Usually* a safe bet. Windows on it's own should only use around 20GB. With updates - more. With drivers - more.

Good point about updates, I forgot to include that. I'll edit my list.

Desktop  i5-4440 -- ASRock Z77 Extreme4 -- KFA2 GTX560 Ti  -- 4x4GB 1600MHz -- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB -- CM HAF 932 -- 1TB+640GB

Laptop  i7-3740QM @ 2.7GHz -- 2x4GB 1600Mhz -- GT640M -- OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 60GB

Good point about updates, I forgot to include that. I'll edit my list.

No problem! Updates are quite huge if you install Windows 8 fresh (not 8.1) so just like to include that in there.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

No problem! Updates are quite huge if you install Windows 8 fresh (not 8.1) so just like to include that in there.

Yeah, if you have a clean 8 install then you're going to have, what, maybe 3-4GB of updates to do? Assuming you want to turn it into 8.1, of course. Even a clean 8.1 install has Windows 8.1 Update 1 to download which is roughly a gig, plus all other updates.

Yeah, if you have a clean 8 install then you're going to have, what, maybe 3-4GB of updates to do? Assuming you want to turn it into 8.1, of course. Even a clean 8.1 install has Windows 8.1 Update 1 to download which is roughly a gig, plus all other updates.

Yeah, lots of updates on the 8/8.1 platform to fix a lot of the things users complained about (needing windowed apps and a real start button, of course).

win 7 average 20-25GB

win 8 average 15-20GB

More ram you have will also affected pagefile.sys file in windows system

so if you have 16GB RAM try to allocate 20GB+16GB for it.

Or shrink the pagefile to like 512MB.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Here's what usually takes up space initially on an OS drive:

• 20GB - Operating System
  • 1-3GB - OS updates
  • 1-5GB - Drivers
  • 1-5GB - Essential Programs (Security, browsers, office)

Other things to consider are local copies of cloud storage (GDrive, DropBox) which will take up somewhere between a couple hundred MB and 10GB+ depending on how much you use them.

Personally, I use a 250GB SSD for my OS (Windows 8.1 Pro), and I install all of my programs to it, including Steam, Origin, and Google Drive, and that leaves about 200GB of space to mess around with. About half of that 200GB is currently taken up by games and large downloads that I should clear out. And a little more is taken up by virtual machines. I use my 1TB HDD for any large and slow storage such as video.

In all, I still have plenty of room on my SSD for extra games and stuff. Though with GTAV looking like it'll be 65GB+, I imagine I might need to do a small clearout.

The Ending Part of ur reply about GTA 5 was exactly i asked this question

The Ending Part of ur reply about GTA 5 was exactly i asked this question

What I did is installed windows on my 250gb ssd and then set steam to install my games to a 2tb drive by default.  If there's a game in particular that I want on my ssd, I just change the install directory before steam starts downloading the game.

With about 300gb worth of games on my computer, I'd say that was a good call.  It's also nice because if/when you decide to format your OS drive, you don't have to wait for steam to download all your games again.

What I did is installed windows on my 250gb ssd and then set steam to install my games to a 2tb drive by default.  If there's a game in particular that I want on my ssd, I just change the install directory before steam starts downloading the game.

With about 300gb worth of games on my computer, I'd say that was a good call.  It's also nice because if/when you decide to format your OS drive, you don't have to wait for steam to download all your games again.

Additional HDDs are definitely worth it, especially with the f**kin huge size of most AAA titles that are coming out. Last one I got was COD: Ghosts, which was around 60GB. Oy

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

Additional HDDs are definitely worth it, especially with the f**kin huge size of most AAA titles that are coming out. Last one I got was COD: Ghosts, which was around 60GB. Oy

I don't even play a whole lot of AAA games.  I just play a lot of different games, and I usually don't take the time to uninstall them.