MSI GTX970 PCB size problem.. (EK Waterblocks)

Hello,

I'm new here but came to inform about this problem I had so that you people don't fall into this... Plus i'd like a clarification.. If I was wrong then pardon me...

The problem is this... Recently I bought another GTX970 4G Gaming version (Using my past purchase link) and received the card.. but I suddenly could identify that the size of the card had changed.. Didn't mind much about it.. until I installed the waterblocks from EK (EK-FC970 TF5.. yes.. the ones made especially for this card..)...

Long story short, the newest card I got didn't fit the pcb AT ALL... luckily the core components did but there are some screws that I couldnt fit on the PCB... I've attached some pictures for you guys to see and would like to know if it was my mistake? both boxes show the SAME exact number (there's no revision or anything stating that it's a different version).. I had to make an adjustment to the tubing so that it would let me connect the SLI together but.. anyways an explanation will be greatly appreciated..

Pictures in attachment...

Thank you all for reading!

post-219464-0-64443400-1427869776.jpg

post-219464-0-39085500-1427869780.jpg

post-219464-0-76066100-1427869783.jpg

Gg MSI

Probably a newer revision nothing you can do about that.

Maybe query this on the EKWB site too. They might be able to help you. Or suggest options. Perhaps MSI might be able to swap one of your cards so both match. It won't hurt to ask them. Good luck.

Thank you for your kind reply,

I am currently speaking to MSI support. I think they messed up with the versions because the metal plating + PCB is of a 100ME edition i think... check out this picture, the metal casings are different... the only MSI card that has the "BAD" squared metal plate is the 100ME edition.. but 100ME edition has green twinfrozr V... 

I'm at a loss right now -_-

post-219464-0-89385900-1427878415.png

Let us know the outcome

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 @1500mhz + 8000Mhz CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k Delided and Overclocked @4.8  MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII IMPACT  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory CPU Cooler: Corsair HG10+ H90 +H90 CASE: Corsair 380T  Storage: 120GB Samsung Evo SSD + Crucail 256GB Mx100 + 2TB Seagate/  OS: Windows 10 64bit Power supply:  Corsair RM750

Wow this is really wierd!!!

I think you're right about the fact that it looks like the put a 100ME on the 4G shroud!!

Let me know how it turns out please.  

Currently we list the 100ME has compatible with the block but from what you're telling me, some screws don't align.  Could you provide me a picture of that particular issue so I can show it to the other guys at EK?

That's a job cut out for some tech site to investigate whether if they gimped the components again.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fmuropaketti.com%2Fnaytonohjainvalmistajat-leikkaavat-virransyottojen-laatua-vaivihkaa&edit-text=&act=url

Zotac also had similar issues, though at least they were found out quickly:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/1666-zotac-gtx-980-extreme-benchmark-review-overclocking

Afaik they had some press-only versions of the OC software to remove the voltage limitations, but their cards are more restricted than what the reference version is.

Wow this is really wierd!!!

I think you're right about the fact that it looks like the put a 100ME on the 4G shroud!!

Let me know how it turns out please.  

Currently we list the 100ME has compatible with the block but from what you're telling me, some screws don't align.  Could you provide me a picture of that particular issue so I can show it to the other guys at EK?

I have dual MSI 970 100ME in SLI. I chose them because I have a Nanoxia case(everything is white and green). Could you keep me posted as to the outcome of this? I was looking forward to watercooling everything.

I tried to register on the site to ask, but EKWB.coms login requires a username, while the registration form has no place for a username.

I have dual MSI 970 100ME in SLI. I chose them because I have a Nanoxia case(everything is white and green). Could you keep me posted as to the outcome of this? I was looking forward to watercooling everything.

I tried to register on the site to ask, but EKWB.coms login requires a username, while the registration form has no place for a username.

Try using your e-mail address for the username 

What's the outcome on this? Do EKWB's stuff work on the msi gtx 970 100me, or not?

Hello all,

Sorry for the late answer on this... So... I got to contact MSI first about what my card actually is and to my disgrace they have changed the GTX970s revisions.. They seem to be using the 100ME's PC Boards to create the GTX970 4G Gaming GPUs now... Now from the other side (EKWB), I've also contacted them that it is not fair that I was ASSURED by their own website that my GTX970 would fit correctly and they wouldn't at least help me or accept their fault that they've made a mistake with the 100ME PCB size compatibility...

So.. Summary:

1) MSI changed their PCB to Rev. 1.3 which uses the 100ME's PCB (It is bigger than the Rev 1.1 one)

2) EKWB said that It was MY FAULT for not comparing the PCB with the pictures they have on their website... so... I'm not getting any help from them...

But rest assured for the ones that are on the same issue boat as me... I've tested/benchmarked the newer revision PCB card with the EKWB waterblock (without the 2 missing screws) and all seems to be running smoothly temperature-wise.

Now I'd love some help from EKWB but guess they're support guys (they were actually nice to me) don't have the power or means to inform to a higher up that they've made a HUGE mistake.

In the end, I'm stil here with my crooked SLI tubing -.- but at least it's doing its job (functional-wise cause for the looks... it looks like CRAP having a crooked SLI tube -_-)

Thank you all!

thanks for the heads up, i was planning on getting one also, guess ima go with the gigabyte

That's unfortunate :/. Can you return one of the cards and ask ( if you bought from a tech retailer ) to get a matching one?

Computer Spec: CPU: i5 4690K @ 4.85GHz Delided    Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Hero    RAM: Corsair Vengence 2*4GB    GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970    PSU: Corsair RM650    Boot Drive: Crucial MX100 256GB SSD    Storage: 1TB WD Blue HDD   Case: NZXT H440 Red and Black 

Cooling: EK PWM D5 Pump & EK 140ML RES Combo unit , EK Supremacy Evo CPU Block , 360mm Alphacool Radiator , 3 Noctua NF-F12 Fans on the radiator , Some fancy fittings

always check the pics  i had gotten a 1.3 version of the card and returned it thing didnt fit at all the ek block  took me 3 returns to get a 1.1. someone asked the same question a bit ago on here ,they changed it awhile ago the pcb layout  since i picked up my second one in December and thats when i ran into the problem msi is great untill you have a problem with a item rma ect . always buy from brick and mortar stores for gpu you can exchange it  and they 99% will not check it if it works . i will see if i still have the pics of the block on the card

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 of these cards last week and got the same issue where I was sent 1x Rev 1.1 and 1x Rev 1.3 (stocking issues I assume). I noticed something kind of odd on the graphics cards as they didn't align properly when I plugged them in the computer, so I notice the difference straight away.

Although, I'm putting together a list of parts to fit a watercooling system in my PC and, of course, I found the EK waterblocks on my favourite retailer, so I was going to buy them for the cards (since they claim to fit the MSI cards and have no mention of incompatibility issues on the retailer's website).

By luck, I was watching a video on youtube from another reviewer and saw him buying the watercooling products straight from EK, so I decided to go to their website this morning (to compare prices, etc) and found out about the big red alert they have on their website now (probably because of this issue report), which is all good, but from all the retailers' websites I visited, NONE are mentioning the compatibility problems with the graphics cards.

I think EK should be a bit more proactive in "enforcing" retailers (specially those they sell directly to at least) to display the compatibility issues alert.

Hello all,

Sorry for the late answer on this... So... I got to contact MSI first about what my card actually is and to my disgrace they have changed the GTX970s revisions.. They seem to be using the 100ME's PC Boards to create the GTX970 4G Gaming GPUs now... Now from the other side (EKWB), I've also contacted them that it is not fair that I was ASSURED by their own website that my GTX970 would fit correctly and they wouldn't at least help me or accept their fault that they've made a mistake with the 100ME PCB size compatibility...

So.. Summary:

1) MSI changed their PCB to Rev. 1.3 which uses the 100ME's PCB (It is bigger than the Rev 1.1 one)

2) EKWB said that It was MY FAULT for not comparing the PCB with the pictures they have on their website... so... I'm not getting any help from them...

But rest assured for the ones that are on the same issue boat as me... I've tested/benchmarked the newer revision PCB card with the EKWB waterblock (without the 2 missing screws) and all seems to be running smoothly temperature-wise.

Now I'd love some help from EKWB but guess they're support guys (they were actually nice to me) don't have the power or means to inform to a higher up that they've made a HUGE mistake.

In the end, I'm stil here with my crooked SLI tubing -.- but at least it's doing its job (functional-wise cause for the looks... it looks like CRAP having a crooked SLI tube  -_-)

Thank you all!

Have you found a way around it? I was going to buy the bridge adapter, but now I know it won't work of course.

Is the waterblock at least still stable?

Is there any other solution than just to put up with it? I bought my cards last week, and now I can't waterblock them because the "same" graphics card is actually not the "same".

Why isn't MSI enforcing retailers to specify on their website which version of the card they are selling? There should be a way of telling the two cards apart, specially if people are going to water cool, but to be honest, the cards just look a bit weird together as they don't line up.

This seems a bit of a messed up situation for MSI to be honest. I spend almost $800 on matching graphics cards, just to find out they are not the same.

• 1 month later...

I bought 2 of these cards last week and got the same issue where I was sent 1x Rev 1.1 and 1x Rev 1.3 (stocking issues I assume). I noticed something kind of odd on the graphics cards as they didn't align properly when I plugged them in the computer, so I notice the difference straight away.

Although, I'm putting together a list of parts to fit a watercooling system in my PC and, of course, I found the EK waterblocks on my favourite retailer, so I was going to buy them for the cards (since they claim to fit the MSI cards and have no mention of incompatibility issues on the retailer's website).

By luck, I was watching a video on youtube from another reviewer and saw him buying the watercooling products straight from EK, so I decided to go to their website this morning (to compare prices, etc) and found out about the big red alert they have on their website now (probably because of this issue report), which is all good, but from all the retailers' websites I visited, NONE are mentioning the compatibility problems with the graphics cards.

I think EK should be a bit more proactive in "enforcing" retailers (specially those they sell directly to at least) to display the compatibility issues alert.

Have you found a way around it? I was going to buy the bridge adapter, but now I know it won't work of course.

Is the waterblock at least still stable?

Is there any other solution than just to put up with it? I bought my cards last week, and now I can't waterblock them because the "same" graphics card is actually not the "same".

Why isn't MSI enforcing retailers to specify on their website which version of the card they are selling? There should be a way of telling the two cards apart, specially if people are going to water cool, but to be honest, the cards just look a bit weird together as they don't line up.

This seems a bit of a messed up situation for MSI to be honest. I spend almost $800 on matching graphics cards, just to find out they are not the same.

ek just made a block for the version 1.3 about 3 days ago they said its available  now  its a bit too late for most of us i ditched my plans for sli when i had 2 different board layouts for the same gpu .

they did change the sku but you really need to pick at the seller to get it .for microcenter it shows up on there system when they unpack them the invoice that something is off but gpu boxes and there computers say its the same card even thou its really different

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

• 3 weeks later...

@ek luk

this is a update to my last post here just to put it out there there is now a newer version of the msi gtx 970 4g . was looking for the elusive fury and someone had a msi 970 with the water block in the store and it didn't fit at all they have another heat sink design /pcb change. they were able to get the gpu die screwed down but only 3 other screws on the card since all the holes didn't match up he had the tfx block for the 1.3v and it was not fitting .  i have pictures of his card so i will post them when i get home . it also ant a tf5 card/or block  since i have pictures of my card . it didnt look like they went back to the old card size  if anything they made it longer again , so now there is so many dam version of it =(

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't watercool, but EKWB was a idiot as far as a build guide goes that someone els is almost done with, they delayed their waterblocks and fittings, and then they didn't send it, and dropped sponsorship, making the project too late for cooler master case mod world series, and the pc started last year, so it can never be entered now. I don't like EKWB.... Definitely for support reasons.. it isn't my build log, I forgot whos it was tho xD

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

@ek luk

this is a update to my last post here just to put it out there there is now a newer version of the msi gtx 970 4g . was looking for the elusive fury and someone had a msi 970 with the water block in the store and it didn't fit at all they have another heat sink design /pcb change. they were able to get the gpu die screwed down but only 3 other screws on the card since all the holes didn't match up he had the tfx block for the 1.3v and it was not fitting .  i have pictures of his card so i will post them when i get home . it also ant a tf5 card/or block  since i have pictures of my card . it didnt look like they went back to the old card size  if anything they made it longer again , so now there is so many dam version of it =(

Damn..... :angry:

If MSI changed their PCB layout again I know someone in the R&D dept. who will be furious.  Please be sure to post your pictures so I can send them.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Damn..... :angry:

If MSI changed their PCB layout again I know someone in the R&D dept. who will be furious.  Please be sure to post your pictures so I can send them.

Thanks!

Getting another 970 for SLI soon, so how would I be able to figure out which revision the PCB is?

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

Getting another 970 for SLI soon, so how would I be able to figure out which revision the PCB is?

Just over the PCIe connector you have the info.  Usually, it will be right over the "Product of China" writing.  It will be something like "V316 VER : 1.0".

the "VER :" part is the PCB version

for my 1.1 version pcb its  about 2 in's down from the pci connector  .

i was told only by the box info you can tell the pcb version from msi support. this is without buying it , checking in store    " make sure the part number is 602-v316-050 and the s/n is similar to B15010017** . last 2 are what have to be close to yours so you have a ** s/n card you want +/- 10 to be identical " . this is at a store (not amazon or newegg they had no clue to which ones they got )  for them to check since i had returned close to 10 cards trying to get the 1.1 pcb. they are rarer then a fury x atm . i  gave up and got a 1.3 pcb

going to put this in here anyway the 1.3 card i got is 912-v316-032/ 602-v316-130   this is the info on the box that i was told also to check for  its just the part number thingy   from msi

the 1.1 card 912-v316-001/ 602-v316-050   on one card the 1.1v has a sticker yellowish orange  on the block side right next tot he gpu core that says 050 that is what i think @EK Luc is referring to . my 1.3 doesnt have any that i can tell . it might be under the stock cooler since i haven't removed it .

but just going off where the back plate would be if you got a sticker that has 050 you got a 1.1 if that's missing / different its probably a 1.3 but  might be a 1.2 which then your set same size pcb as the 1.1 .

getting this info out out msi was like holding them at gun point they pull this is company secrets/ trade every other email . or were not allowed to release this info since it would harm us .i had been trying for 3 months to get this info out of them took forever to do

if you just get one and not sure the 1.1 ends at my sata ports  , the 1.3 hangs over about 1/4-1/2 inch past that  . this is not including the stock cooler in measuring

i wasnt going to post in this one but this thread keeps poping back up every month

* edit  spelling

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just over the PCIe connector you have the info.  Usually, it will be right over the "Product of China" writing.  It will be something like "V316 VER : 1.0".

the "VER :" part is the PCB version

for my 1.1 version pcb its  about 2 in's down from the pci connector  .

i was told only by the box info you can tell the pcb version from msi support. this is without buying it , checking in store    " make sure the part number is 602-v316-050 and the s/n is similar to B15010017** . last 2 are what have to be close to yours so you have a ** s/n card you want +/- 10 to be identical " . this is at a store (not amazon or newegg they had no clue to which ones they got )  for them to check since i had returned close to 10 cards trying to get the 1.1 pcb. they are rarer then a fury x atm . i  gave up and got a 1.3 pcb

going to put this in here anyway the 1.3 card i got is 912-v316-032/ 602-v316-130   this is the info on the box that i was told also to check for  its just the part number thingy   from msi

the 1.1 card 912-v316-001/ 602-v316-050   on one card the 1.1v has a sticker yellowish orange  on the block side right next tot he gpu core that says 050 that is what i think @EK Luc is referring to . my 1.3 doesnt have any that i can tell . it might be under the stock cooler since i haven't removed it .

but just going off where the back plate would be if you got a sticker that has 050 you got a 1.1 if that's missing / different its probably a 1.3 but  might be a 1.2 which then your set same size pcb as the 1.1 .

getting this info out out msi was like holding them at gun point they pull this is company secrets/ trade every other email . or were not allowed to release this info since it would harm us .i had been trying for 3 months to get this info out of them took forever to do

if you just get one and not sure the 1.1 ends at my sata ports  , the 1.3 hangs over about 1/4-1/2 inch past that  . this is not including the stock cooler in measuring

i wasnt going to post in this one but this thread keeps poping back up every month

* edit  spelling

Thanks guys

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)