ASUS Transformerbook T100TA - Windows 8.1 Tablet - Review

kzTD9qM.png

Introduction:

I recently purchased this T100 from Best Buy. It was somewhat of an impulse buy, and also bought knowing I can return it in 30 days, when potentially better items enter the market (see Conclusion below). I needed to know if I wanted a Windows-Based tablet, as I already own an iPad and an older ASUS Transformer Android tablet, as well as an Android Phone. This device, at the time of writing, is a mere $230, including 1 year of office 365 and the keyboard at Best Buy. 

I am doing this review, partially out of boredom, and partially out of a realization that I really do have the opportunity to use devices in real-world scenarios, not just in my house. I realise this is a device from 2013, but when you look at the newest items out these days, you will see they are JUST NOW starting to replace these items (See Conclusion). 

Specifications:

• Cost: $230
  • Windows 8.1 (Full x86, 32-bit)
  • CPU: Atom Z3740 1.33GHz
  • RAM: 1GB DDR3
  • 10.1" 1366x768 IPS LED (And gorilla glass)
  • 32GB Storage, with MicroSD
  • 1xMicroUSB for Charging and OTG
  • 1xMicro HDMI
  • 1xFull-Size USB 3.0 (on keyboard dock).
  • ~11 Hour Battery Life
  • Crappy Webcam

My Usage Type:

I work for an e-Learning company, and am the primary client services/get stuff done guy for their automotive training solutions. I answer upwards of 100 emails a day, run web trainings, fix problems, and help with the development and deployment of new versions and features. I also work from home. Home = my home office, the local coffee shop, or in my car up some mountain roads, as long as I still get 4G. This past weekend, it was from the small town of Moscow, Idaho. 

Ze9VYIh.jpg?2

I currently have a Powerful desktop, running 4 monitors, all of which are used constantly. I also have a company-provided Macbook Pro Retina. This device is meant to replace the macbook as my "carry with me everywhere just in case I need to work" system. 

Day-To-Day Use:

I used this system from home, my local panera bread, and from a hotel. I used it for some minor emailing over the weekend, watching some movies, general web browsing for fun and work. 

Skype worked well, and I skyped my Fiance' for awhile with no major issues. My video seemed a tad laggy, so that is one thing to consider. Obviously, with 1GB ram, and a low-end camera from 2013, you cannot expect miracles. 

I used it to preview some RAW pictures, using an SD card reader plugged into the keyboard's USB 3.0 port. They all pulled up quickly, but I had to use programs other than windows default. 

Plex streaming worked fine, and when I watched a couple episodes of The Blacklist, I had no complaints on playback. Now, I was only streaming 720p. 

ljhmDz6.jpg?1

While in the hotel this past weekend, this was my primary source of entertainment. I watched some LTT videos, browsed the forums with no major issues. On average, I had 5 chrome tabs open, and the unit was at 80% RAM usage. 

Actual work on the unit was a bit different. Typing on the smaller keyboard was a bit troublesome, but after a bit, it was easier to manage. The unit is not my i7/16GB/Watercooled desktop for sure. Having a half dozen windows open on chrome didn't kill the machine, but it wasnt perfect either. The worst was the trackpad. But to be honest, I hate all by my macbook pro's trackpad, and would end up using a small bluetooth mouse anyway. 

dJkXfMA.jpg?1

But, working from this small unit, versus my 15" Macbook pro was much nicer, and I felt less awkward carrying it around with me and using it. 

At the end of 4 days, my battery is finally down to 10%, and is being charged. ASUS was not lying about battery usage. Any other review puts this little guy at the top of many lists for battery life. 

Pros:

• Battery Life
  • Cost
  • General size
  • Full-Size USB port and Windows 8.1 = a very productive unit.

Cons:

• Screen Resolution (This is a meh point for me on a 10" screen, but its still pretty low res)
  • 1GB Ram. There are 2GB versions available, but not at Best Buy, and not for $230
  • Bulky. I like the keyboard implementation of the Surface line much better. You are often left with "wait, where do I put this keyboard and hinge now?"
  • Not the fastest. This is probably due to the RAM capacity more than anything else.

Conclusion:

This is NOT a bad little unit. For $220, you get a very usable unit running full windows with a great battery life and a keyboard. In the last day, Asus has released their new version, their T100 Chi. This is a similar unit, with some appropriate upgrades. Better screen Res, Form factor, and 2GB Ram are now standard. But so is a $400 pricetag. Same for the new Surface 3. I am so tempted to buy one, but with the $630 pricetag for a 2GB unit and a keyboard, I cannot justify that cost. 

For under $250, you really cannot beat this guy when it comes to "name brand products". You can find the 2GB versions for around $250-260 on sale, and with the release of newer items, that will probably be seen more often. 

ZNJjo6o.jpg?2

For me? I will hang on to this until my return period is up. Best Buy has never argued with me returning a unit "just because I didn't like it and want something better". I guess that's one plus of having "elite status" with them - less stupid questions from them. But, I am still in search for a ~$300 Windows tablet with keyboard. It has to have a keyboard, last 9+ hours, and have a dedicated MicroUSB or Full size USB port, hopefully with 2GB+ Ram this time. 

Let me know what you thought of the review, any recommendations are welcome. This is my first review, but hope it was helpful.

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Nice presentation; well done.

5820K - ASUS X99-A - 16GB Corsair LPX - HD 7970 GHz - Qnix 1440p @ 96Hz - Waiting for Polaris/Pascal

Nicely done. :)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

Nice review. I was actually looking at this model too last week since I want an tablet/2-in-1 next to my laptop. For some writing and media consumption this looks pretty nice. But 2gigs would be nicer :).

Are you sure it's from 2013? I'm pretty sure 2014 is when this came out

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Are you sure it's from 2013? I'm pretty sure 2014 is when this came out

I See a few reviews from Dec 2013. I think it was released in the UK earlier than the US. And then of course, you have all kinds of "editions" and Revisions. 

I think it was more widely available in 2014 though, for sure. 

Nice review. I was actually looking at this model too last week since I want an tablet/2-in-1 next to my laptop. For some writing and media consumption this looks pretty nice. But 2gigs would be nicer :).

No Problem!

I would wait and see what the new surface and new Asus tablets do to prices, and get one then. At the very least, amazon has the 32gb/2g version of this for... $250 ish, and this version I got recently went back to a $300 pricetag at best buy...

No Problem!

I would wait and see what the new surface and new Asus tablets do to prices, and get one then. At the very least, amazon has the 32gb/2g version of this for... $250 ish, and this version I got recently went back to a $300 pricetag at best buy...

Well, since the new surface 3 is gonna cost 600 euros without cover where I live its a no go for me. And since I also don't have a creditcard amazon is also no option (why don't they just accept paypal...) :|. Guess I'll keep on looking but thanks for the reply.

i guess they improved build quality on the t100TAM...

try the acer switch 10 and 11 for a good measure..

im buying the Redfox wizpad scribe sold here locally with lte/4g connection..surface 3 if I had the budget  :)