I5 4690k Overclocking?

So I will be getting a i5 4690k soon and was wondering whether a NH-D14 would be good enough to reach past 4.5GHZ with good temperatures and stability, considering it is about 1-2 degrees cooler than a H100i.

My case is a Corsair Carbide 330R.

I will be getting a good Z97 board, such as the Asus Z97 Pro or MSI Gaming 5

it all depends on if you get a good chip or not really. I got to 4.6 ghz stable on my 4670k using an h100i so you can take that as a reference.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

it all depends on if you get a good chip or not really. I got to 4.6 ghz stable on my 4670k using an h100i so you can take that as a reference.

Right, its called the silicone lottery or something?

Right, its called the silicone lottery or something?

yeah, you will likely get a normal overclocker, which i believe is what i got. The chances that you will get a bad chip are not that high so i wouldent wory about it.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

The NH-D14 is a fantastic cooler, but the quality of the OC you get comes down to how good of a chip you get.  This is often referred to as the silicon lottery.  You should be able to hit 4.5Ghz, because that is a fairly common and readily attainable OC, unless you get very unlucky.

You can't go wrong with either of those two motherboards. I would personally go for Asus because of their incredible software and fan control.  MSI isn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, I just prefer Asus.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

NH-d14 has ram clearence issue's get the d15 insstead.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs)