NEW PIX do you like the blue in the Phanteks Enthoo Primo Water Cool Build

brighttail

Hey all,

It has been a long time coming.  I had thought about acrylic tubing at first but since this was my first water cooling build, I thought it best to go with the soft tubing.  I'm glad i did because there were some complications when I started trying to fit everything in, but I get ahead of myself. Comments are welcome. Here is what it looked like to start:

post-149213-0-99785500-1427851416_thumb.

post-149213-0-03499900-1427851459_thumb.

At this point I only had my Swiftech H220x CPU cooler, ONE Asus Poseidon 980GTX and the MSI 980GTX.  I decided it was easier and would look better to order another Poseidon than to get a waterblock for the MSI and figure out how to connect the two.  I also had an Asus Formula and an Intel i7-4970k at this point.   Sadly the motherboard started having issues with some fan headers and Asus was taking their time getting a replacement.  After a month of waiting I decided to upgrade to the 2011-3 series.

Next up was to figure out a loop.

post-149213-0-72285700-1427851820_thumb.

I placed my order Performance PC since Frozen CPU went down and Pierre there was a lot of help.  In the mean time my second Poseiden came in.

post-149213-0-83490800-1427851941_thumb.

post-149213-0-94960000-1427851975_thumb.

So my parts came in.

post-149213-0-22872900-1427852760_thumb.

I had decided to go with an all in one reservoir/pump combo instead of two separate parts, besides where I was going to put the pump under the HDD cages but decided to use that area for an drain port.

post-149213-0-13950700-1427852841_thumb.

At this point I installed my new PSU a Corsair 1200i and two Commander Minis.  no they don't work together (yet that firmware patch is in the future) but I needed two fan hubs for all the fans and ... for something else.

post-149213-0-60845200-1427852943_thumb.

Sadly the reservoir wouldn't fit properly past the HDD cage so I had to dremmel a bit (pix was taken after I filled everything)

post-149213-0-29063200-1427853008_thumb.

The radiators were a problem.  These alpha cool came with 30mm and 35mm screws.  Unfortunately I didn't have and rubber grommets to make up the 4mm difference so i had to scravenge them from my other old cases. Luckily I ended up with exactly how many I needed and was able to mount them.  With that I was able to put everything into place and start to fill and test for leaks.

post-149213-0-25442200-1427853398_thumb.

post-149213-0-71280100-1427853421_thumb.

Then added the dye.

post-149213-0-50334200-1427853482_thumb.

post-149213-0-28893800-1427853510_thumb.

WIth the sucessful leak test completed, it was time to put on the finishing touches.   I was able to order some Corsair Dominiator Platinum Air Series fans for my memory.  I ordered them directly from Corsair which was new as up to a month ago, they didn't have them available.  If you want to be able to change colours, you have to attach them to a Corsair Link.  Unfortunately the Corsair Link only has ONE port for these and they don't have a Y-splitter.  If anyone knows where I can get one, it would be appreciated.  The default colour is red, but when Corsair finally comes out with a firmware fix to be able to use BOTH Commander Minis, then I will have each one connecting to one of them. 

If anyone knows how to get two Commander Minis to work together, please let me know.

post-149213-0-25508300-1427853847_thumb.

post-149213-0-00329600-1427853875_thumb.

post-149213-0-21789900-1427853904_thumb.

Sadly with the camera I use, the LEDs often times look orange instead of red. Limitations of the camera sadly but it is all blood red.

As of writing this I just got my LEDs in the mail and will be attaching them tomorrow...maybe add some cable combs....and then I'm done.  I'll take final pix then.

In the end I'm satisfied with the build, although I think it would look even MORE better with acrylic tubing.  I also didn't order enough 90 degreen fittings and had to use one of the 'S' fittings out of the reservoir.  Luckily the compression fittings I used were the Monsoon free center ones and can easily upgrade them to the hardline type.  If/when i do make the change, I may add some extenders and 90 degree fitings to the top reservoir to make it look cleaner or just bend it properly, but for now. I'm done.

Here are the final specs:

Case:  Phanteks Enthro Primo SE red/black

MB: Asus x99 Rampage Extreme

CPU: Intel i7-5930k

GPU: 2x Asus Poseidon GTX 980

PSU: Corsair AX 1200i

RAM: 4x4 Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR 4 2800Mhz

BOOT M.2:  Samsung xp941 m.2 256GB

APP SSD:  2x Samsung 850 Pro 256GB (Raid 0)

SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 512GB

HDD: Western Digital Black 4TB

USB Hub: NZXT

DVD: Asus DVD/BR Drive

Water Cooling:

13 x Corsair SP 140 Fans

Primochill CTR 240mm Clear Phase 2 Reservoir with Swiftech D5 pump

Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper 420mm radiator

Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 280mm radiator

Mayhem X1 Blood Red Concentrate

Primoflex Advanced LRT Tubing

Swiftech Apogee XL CPU block with ROG front

Customer Wiring (don't remember where I got them from)

Lots of Monsoon fittings

Comments are welcome.  Now to sleep.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

Samsung 850 Pro 512Gb | WD Black 4TB | Corsair AX1200i

I like it ...but please for the love of all things good take the ram coolers off 

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

I like it ...but please for the love of all things good take the ram coolers off 

I may, I may not. Still up in the air about it.  I have customer RED light sticks for the RAM as you saw in some of the pix.

We'll see after a few weeks.

Phanteks Enthoo Elite | Intel I9 - 7900X | Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme | MSI 1080 TI 

32Gb Dominator Platinum Special Edition Blackout 3200MHz  | Samsung 960 Pro | 2x Samsung 961 Pro (Raid 0) 256Gb M.2 SSD  

For me, bit to much red and needs some cable tidying but each to their own.

You thought of hardpiping?

For me, bit to much red and needs some cable tidying but each to their own.

You thought of hardpiping?

Yeah the back is a bit of a disaster.  I have considered hard piping and am convinced it would look better with it, but being my first water build, I went with the easier tubing.

Sadly about 24 hours after I posted this, I got a leak!

Turns out the shim that went  in between the primochill reservoir and the pump was defective.   Primochill got the pictures i sent, confirmed it was defective and is sending me two more.

Red dye everywhere!!!  Weird thing it was fine for about 3 days.

Sadly about 24 hours after I posted this, I got a leak!

Turns out the shim that went  in between the primochill reservoir and the pump was defective.   Primochill got the pictures i sent, confirmed it was defective and is sending me two more.

Red dye everywhere!!!  Weird thing it was fine for about 3 days.

Did anything die in the process :/

Well, I say it is too much red for my taste.

Black should always be dominant :)

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Awesome! Definitely remove those ram fans and show off those sexy dominator platinums.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched the fluid from red to blue. I think I like it a little more.

Still torn on the LED Fans.  I may take them off.  We'll see when I get the cable that allows me to change the colour of both.

Sadly this photo is with the case cover off. With it on.. it is very dark and tinted. I may have to invest in some WHITE LEDs and properly place them to see if I can get the interior more light. Right now with the case window on.. the blue fluid looks black. :(

Any suggestions?

BT

post-149213-0-73437500-1429824954_thumb.

Instead of going brighter. How about more dark. You need your eyes to want to look at the lighted areas not blind them from the lighted areas. ME PERSONALY. This is too bright and makes me not want to look at it at all.  I personally would GUT all the lights that are in there except what the fans are making throw a black light in there and have Mayhems white Aurora 2 premix in the tubes to have movement through the pipes. So when you look at it it demands attention to whats going on and not blind you looking at it. IMO!!!!!!!!!!! Also there is a saying to each his own. If you like it . Rock it and be proud of it. And if it runs great and others like it . Well mission accomplished. Great build either way ;)

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

Instead of going brighter. How about more dark. You need your eyes to want to look at the lighted areas not blind them from the lighted areas. ME PERSONALY. This is too bright and makes me not want to look at it at all.  I personally would GUT all the lights that are in there except what the fans are making throw a black light in there and have Mayhems white Aurora 2 premix in the tubes to have movement through the pipes. So when you look at it it demands attention to whats going on and not blind you looking at it. IMO!!!!!!!!!!! Also there is a saying to each his own. If you like it . Rock it and be proud of it. And if it runs great and others like it . Well mission accomplished. Great build either way ;)

I have turned off the current LEDs i have but then you can't even see that it has a reservoir or the tubing due to how dark the tinted window is.  I won't go with Aurora mix as that isn't designed for long term.  What I was thinking of was adding the Mayhem's ice white pastel with some blue.  It would cause the tubes to look more like a solid colour and may help lighten things up.  Someone had suggested UV lighting with UV reactive fluid, but i'm not sold on that either.

It runs great and I'm very happy with the performance.  I just think that it needs some sort of subtle lighting to accent the tubing.  Maybe the Monsoon lighting nodes?

Have you thought about going from your GPU to the top rad then to your CPU? It seems to me that would look better. But just my opinion. Don't even know if it would work.

Have you thought about going from your GPU to the top rad then to your CPU? It seems to me that would look better. But just my opinion. Don't even know if it would work.

So GPU to Top rad, then top rad down to CPU and CPU to reservoir?  I thought about it but i didn't want to cross over the RAM two times.  If/when I go hard tubing I'll slide it across the top of them RAM.

That rad -> res run looks a little wonky to me. That's all. It could be a product of the soft tubing. 

That rad -> res run looks a little wonky to me. That's all. It could be a product of the soft tubing. 

I wanted the run to be ABOVE the Ram.  I also wanted it as level as possible. Originally i had it looping around the RAM and since the tube went down then up, it was the perfect spot for air bubbles to congregate.  So i added a few fittings to make it as straight/level as possible and run above the RAM.

Possible he flipped the top rad around. Might make more since and fix a lot of that?

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

@brighttail

IMO, white pastel fluid. Light the piping+waterblocks+fluid with red led's (use monsoon lighting nodes). Get rid of the ram coolers, get rid of all of the led fans. Boom. Amazing build with subtle red/white accents. Uv white fluid + uv light would be cool too.

Edit: Paint/color the Dominator Platinum memory bars red. Then they light up red too.

I like it, I had a blue and red build in the past, it made a nice purple hue in the middle

@brighttail

IMO, white pastel fluid. Light the piping+waterblocks+fluid with red led's (use monsoon lighting nodes). Get rid of the ram coolers, get rid of all of the led fans. Boom. Amazing build with subtle red/white accents. Uv white fluid + uv light would be cool too.

Edit: Paint/color the Dominator Platinum memory bars red. Then they light up red too.

Believe it or not I have red light bars already.  They were a special order and glow a dull red.   I dont mind the red LEDS from the fans, but I agree about the RAM fans.  They may need to go.  Ideally with THIS build as it is, I think it would look awesome if i could somehow get the tubes with the blue dye to be more prominent so lighting it up with some white light is an option.

Alternatively I have considered an ice white pastel liquid and add some blue dye to fill out the tubes and make them pop.   Subtle is not necessarily what i'm looking for..

Considering the lighting nodes.  If you light a white pastel with red LED, how would that look?  Wouldn't it be better to go red pastel and light with a white LED?

I'm not a big fan of UV light reactive stuff so that is out I think.  My biggest problem is living in Canada shipping anything up here is a big cost, so whatever i decide I would have to order it all at once.   Having one monsoon lighting node per tube run would be fun... question tho.. what do you do with all the wires? how long are they?  What do you use to light them, one molex each or is there an adapter to light several at once? 

Thanks,

BT

Believe it or not I have red light bars already.  They were a special order and glow a dull red.   I dont mind the red LEDS from the fans, but I agree about the RAM fans.  They may need to go.  Ideally with THIS build as it is, I think it would look awesome if i could somehow get the tubes with the blue dye to be more prominent so lighting it up with some white light is an option.

Alternatively I have considered an ice white pastel liquid and add some blue dye to fill out the tubes and make them pop.   Subtle is not necessarily what i'm looking for..

Considering the lighting nodes.  If you light a white pastel with red LED, how would that look?  Wouldn't it be better to go red pastel and light with a white LED?

I'm not a big fan of UV light reactive stuff so that is out I think.  My biggest problem is living in Canada shipping anything up here is a big cost, so whatever i decide I would have to order it all at once.   Having one monsoon lighting node per tube run would be fun... question tho.. what do you do with all the wires? how long are they?  What do you use to light them, one molex each or is there an adapter to light several at once? 

Thanks,

BT

I like white pastel with red led. It will be a vibrant red, but it will pop more than the other way around. Here is a video screenshot that I found of a guy that used white pastel but with AMBIENT red light. If you used the lighting nodes, the effect would be more dramatic (and consistent):

wJumwgs.png

The wires are molex and pretty long. Molex can be adapted to anything though. You can get like 8 way molex hubs for cheap.