V-Nova streaming tech produces 4K compression 'worth watching'

ETRJ

A new method of data compression could see ultra-high definition video - also known as 4K - being streamed to TVs and other devices using around 50% of the bandwidth currently needed.

V-Nova has gathered 20 large telecoms, broadcast and IT companies including Sky, Intel, and the European Broadcasting Union to back its new Perseus technology.

It could see the average home broadband speed in the UK - around 22 megabits per second (Mbps) - support three 4K streams simultaneously instead of just one.

The technique makes use of the multiple cores within processors found in today's mobile devices and smart TVs to process the picture more efficiently.

Movie streaming firm Netflix currently requests users of its 4K Ultra High Def service to have a steady 25Mbps broadband connection, with analysis of their video stream showing between 12 and 16Mbps is actually required.

V-Nova says it can deliver the same quality picture using just 7-8Mbps.

Developing world

Media expert Ian Maude, from Enders Analysis, said: "This is cutting-edge technology that will be welcomed by pay TV companies, and TV manufacturers because it will help drive 4k sales.

"But there are still limiting factors to the take-up of 4K including whether networks are capable of meeting demand, having a device able to display an ultra-high definition picture, and the amount of content currently being shot in 4K.

"Ultra HD will still remain niche for some time but this technology will help."

The technology also allows HD video to be streamed to mobile phones by using a similar amount of bandwidth to that currently needed to play music.

It is hoped the new encoding technique will help social network users share video as easily as sending messages, and bring standard definition video to millions of devices in developing countries where cellular data rates make it too expensive to stream any quality of video.

The system will first be deployed in the US and several European countries this summer with UK content distributors and broadcasters introducing it before the end of this year.

Video and source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32140732

for the extra suspicious ones: it was published on the 31st

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

Now give me this for my 1080p stream, us low bandwidth people need that

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Better quality at lower bitrates, should be awesome.  New codecs are always good, means we'll be able to stream BluRay(25Mbps) quality at under 10Mbps

I'm so excited to finally be able to enjoy the non existent 4k content on my 5.5 inch smartphone. Pathetic BBC!

My future 8/16k mancave is looking more and more promising :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

@ETRJ. Can you change your text to auto because it is hard to read in night theme but nice post nonetheless

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

double post

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

i was talkin to a sky rep last week whilst upgrading and getting a new box... he said that sky should be releasing a new 4k box in the summer. the box will have a bigger hard drive. he didnt know if this was for a new 4k channel or for downloadable content but either way this new codec seems to be a little more feasable.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

And how likely is this to come to the US?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs