I prefer controllers, am i weird?

johnmhigh
Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

SNIP

You will find most PC gamers use a 360 pad with their PC, I personally (as does totalbiscuit) thinks thats every pc gamer should also have a controller

Games like shadow of mordor, tomb raider, basically third person,or  fighting games, racing games, flying games - I think are all better with a controller and I use one every day

the keyboard and mouse are KING for first person games, RPGs, point and clicks, some puzzle games  etc etc 

Ok, so for years and years i was a console gamer, now im a PC gamer with nothing against consoles, each to their own, but i do still prefer playing with a controller.

If i can play a game with a controller rather then mouse keyboard i generally will like Wicher, tomb raider, COD etc.

I just find it easier with a controller, i do play some games with a keyboard and mouse but im not a massive fan of them

Every PC gamer says a keyboard and mouse is just plain better, on shooters i do find the aiming more accurate but thats about it.

Do i prefer controllers because i was a console gamer for so long? am i really missing out?

I use controllers. I just like them because I can sit back and stretch my legs and not have to be hunched over a keyboard. I like the feel of them too.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

-snip-

There are many who prefer it. Sometimes I prefer one over the other.Both have advantages

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

SNIP

You will find most PC gamers use a 360 pad with their PC, I personally (as does totalbiscuit) thinks thats every pc gamer should also have a controller

Games like shadow of mordor, tomb raider, basically third person,or  fighting games, racing games, flying games - I think are all better with a controller and I use one every day

the keyboard and mouse are KING for first person games, RPGs, point and clicks, some puzzle games  etc etc 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3rd person, platformers, beat-em ups are better played with a controller in my opinion. For the rest, I use my mouse.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

You're not missing out :)

IMO racing games and games designed for controllers (like Bastion) are waay better on a controller then on a keyboard and mouse.

Just go with whatever you're comfortable with, it's all just muscle memory really, the thing that you've played with longer you'll always have a preference for. The first FPS that I really really got into was battlefield 3, yeah I know a little late on the FPS bandwagon, but I played so much of it with a mouse and keyboard that I just got used to it. Before I got a PC I never really played FPS games, just racing and platformers and sports games, so whenever I play games like platformers or racing games I always stick to a controller. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I play all my 3rd person, racing and platformers with my controller.
I just use mouse and keyboard for FPS's

Thanks, i dont feel so weird any more knowing other PC gamers also use controllers, i can stop looking at my 360 controllers on my desk and feeling shame lol, thanks

I like to play Skyrim with a controller.  That's the great part of PC gaming, we can make that choice if we want. :)

Dis track?  Jesus christ why'd we even fight a war?  - Ron Cadillac

I love my XBone controller.

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

I love my XBone controller.

I hate the xbox one controller, one reason and one reason alone, micro USB, the port is already broken with mine... 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

i use a DS4 controller.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Some games are just better with a controller. I could never get on with Assassins Creed's keyboard and mouse interface, and third person games like any of the Fable games are janky with it, too.

Saying that, I preferred Tomb Raider 2013 with a mouse and keyboard, and the Dragon Age games have always had the far superior interface on the PC version.

No, you're not weird. I switch between the two depending on the game I'm playing, it's all down to personal preference really :) 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I recently invested in an XBone controller and have no regrets about it. For me, some games are just better played with a controller (platformers, hack n slash, racing) and

others are better played with a keyboard and mouse (shooters, strategy, point and click etc).

I hate the xbox one controller, one reason and one reason alone, micro USB, the port is already broken with mine... 

That sucks, thankfully wireless support is supposed to be coming later this year.

I hear third-person action games like the Batman Arkham series and Shadow of Mordor are better with a controller, but I absolutely cannot stand it. Mouse and keyboard for me in those cases.

I do use my Xbone controller for most 2D games, emulated Nintendo games, and things like Brothers: a Tale of Two Sons that was clearly designed around two analog sticks. Also games that naturally benefit from analog control over digital usually feel better on a gamepad than mouse and keyboard: racing games, flight sims, etc. as I don't currently have a flight stick or wheel.

Third person, racing and fighting games go better with a controller IMO. Can't stand keyboard/mouse unless it's a FPS.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

Not weird at all, I want a controller too for non FPS and non Moba games :)

Especially for Mortal Kombat X :P

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

100% agree with this.

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

Not to mention the piss-poor shoulder buttons, in have both 360 and xbone controllers, the 360 one is by far the better controller to use.

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

I use a controller where it makes more sense to me; Tomb Raider, Bastion, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim. If it makes it easier for me to sit back(being comfy) and enjoy the game then I'll use a controller. I'll use keyboard and mouse for RTS', any moba I might be playing or where a controller doesn't make sense.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 MB: MSI Z77A-GD55  CPU: i5 3330 OCd to 3.4Ghz CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 2x8GB @ 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming PSU: Seasonic M12II 650W HDD: Two Seagate Barracuda 2TB @ 7200 RPM SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I think the only places where KB+M is superior are FPS, Strategy, and basically any games that have a lot of elements on a UI to press.

I tend to play with a controller in 3rd person action games. It also means you can sit back in your chair, which is a plus.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

People who only use mouse/keyboard for everything ('cept people with no alternative) are weird.

Personally I use mouse/keyboard for games that require more precision, like FPS, MOBA, RTS, etc.

Controllers are more for RPGs, Side-Scrollers,and playing emulator games, which is what I do.