why buy an expensive tripod?

I was wondering if there is a benefit to an expensive tripod. I know the tripod head is important. So why not get a $20 tripod and get an expensive head.

I was wondering if there is a benefit to an expensive tripod. I know the tripod head is important. So why not get a $20 tripod and get an expensive head.

an inexpensive tripod will have wobbly joints and unstable legs.

I have a 30 year old stainless steel tripod that's got a crappy head, but what it has is stability.

Because there is more to a tripod than just a head

Weight, strength, Build quality, materials (steel, carbon fibre etc) leg stability, features such as inverting the head, laying the tripod legs flat, weight hooks 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

A good tripod has better bearings for smoother movements. Also, what everyone else said.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

It's like a chair.

You can get a cheap one but it will be horrible after a couple of years.

mostly reliability, cheap tripods sometimes aren't even verified for a certain weight they claim or don't have anything noted at all.

example:

my old full steel tripod form unkown age doesn't have a known weight limitation, the legs already bend when i put my 1200D with 18-200mm lens(totals 1.2kg) on it, while my joby gorrilapod can handle up to 3KG

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I always refer to this article by on the Strobist website: http://strobist.blogspot.ca/2014/09/choosing-tripod.html

Good Tripods aren't cheap and cheap tripods aren't good....

A quality tripod will be made of quality material that will reduce vibrations.  Important especially for longer exposures, you want the tripod to be as stable as possible.  The tripod should be rated for the weight that you need it to carry.  A lot of the cheaper tripods are only good for lighter gear and will not hold the weight of a pro camera and lens.  A good tripod will have a reliable leg locking mechanism.  The last thing you want is for your legs to collapse under the weight of your gear or due to mechanical failure.  The warranty is usually better with quality tripods.  If you want a light but stable tripod, you will most likely have to pay more.

A tripod can be TWO of the following, but rarely all three:  CHEAP, LIGHT, STABLE

Its up to you to decide what you need in a tripod.  I have two tripods.  I have a small carbon fiber Gitzo tripod that I take on hikes.  It is relatively small, very light but was pretty expensive.  It holds the gear that I typically take with me when I hit the trails or travel.  My second tripod is an aluminum Manfrotto that can hold anything I throw at it, was a lot cheaper than my Gitzo but is big and somewhat heavy.  I use it for planned shoots.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

A high quality tripod does a few things, its more stable, it can hold more, weight, can be lighter, more functions, better built

My mom has had her $30 tripod for over 15 years and it still looks new. It doesn't wobble. The only thing it doesn't do is reduce vibration.

Again, it really depends on what you need. If you need the best image quality, you probably shouldn't skimp on your tripod. If you don't care for IQ and just need quick shots, or if you think a "better" tripod won't benefit you, stick with what you have.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

My mom has had her $30 tripod for over 15 years and it still looks new. It doesn't wobble. The only thing it doesn't do is reduce vibration.

No offense, but I'm doubtful it was new $30, or that it doesn't wobble. Extremely unlikely.

Then again, I could be completely wrong and things were that different back then, but currently, you'll need to spend minimum $100 (on average I would say) to get something half decent.

A good quality tripod will also last you a long time, a cheap one will break.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You buy an expensive camera to hold your expensive camera. It's for better stability and strength. Have you seen profession rigs/cameras?

You buy an expensive camera to hold your expensive camera. 

When I read this I instantly pictured a EOS 5D mounted to another EOS 5D with a piece of threaded rod. :P

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

The difference is amazing.

I used a $60 tripod for a while until it started buckling and upgraded to something worth $600 and it is the greatest thing ever, though Ive sacrificed portability.

well first it depends on what camera you put on the tripod, it prob can hold a compact no problem, also depends on the type of tripod head, quick release. Also have in mind 15 years ago $30 is like nowadays $45. There are a few decent cheap tripods out there that are fine with lighter cameras for normal usuages like the Slik Sprint/Slik compact.

out of curiosity I have a manfrotto 728B. How would those who are more experienced then me see this one? (ive only used 2 tripods and mock my buddies that had a hook on the bottom of the center shaft so you could hang...shit off it to help keep it more stable)

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Tryipod is main to hold camera and also you want a tripod to hold your camera steady. That is the absolute, most important reason for getting one. Expensive tripods are simply more stable and more durable.

out of curiosity I have a manfrotto 728B. How would those who are more experienced then me see this one? (ive only used 2 tripods and mock my buddies that had a hook on the bottom of the center shaft so you could hang...shit off it to help keep it more stable)

It's an alright tripod, the head seems to sag a bit after it's tightened and has a camera on it

It's an alright tripod, the head seems to sag a bit after it's tightened and has a camera on it

Really? never noticed that. but im just using a d40 which I know is pretty lightweight in terms of dslrs

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Stumbled upon this sub, looks lively here :)

This is my own experience: At this one particular time, my main tripod was borrowed by someone, so I used my 'backup' tripod to shoot in my studio. This backup tripod was actually given to me (free). Don't know the brand or anything, but it's made of thick aluminium pipes. Heavy as a brick, but the legs were also very strong. I couldn't bend it with my hands, at all. I could even step on one section of the leg, and it still held its shape. So I thought, yeah this tripod should be strong enough.

The problem lies in the locking mechanisms, which turned out to be utter craps. After shooting, I put it aside, and one of the leg locking failed, slammed my camera to the ground. To be clear, there was nothing wrong with the legs themselves, it's the locking mechanisms. Cost me a lens, 70-200 f2.8. Painful? You bet!!

Lesson learnt. After I got a replacement (I need the 70-200 for my jobs), I went and bought a Manfrotto, and the one that used to be my main tripod now becomes my backup tripod. 

Don't get tripods. Get a monopod with feet. It's easier to carry and more polivalent.

Intel 5820K ¬ ASUS x99 Deluxe ¬ HyperX Predator 3000Mhz 16gb ¬ Gigabyte Titan X ¬ SuperFlow Leadex 850W ¬ Crucial Mx100 512Gb x2 RAID 0 ¬ NZXT H440 + HUE + X61 ¬ ASUS ROG Swift

Don't get tripods. Get a monopod with feet. It's easier to carry and more polivalent.

These are meant for two totally different uses.  When you need a tripod, a monopod won't cut it...  Monopods have their place, but they cannot replace a tripod when the situation calls for one... 

For example, taking photos on a slope or hill.  Or taking photos in a moving water like a stream or river. Or taking photos where the ground is uneven....  I would choose a tripod over a monopod anyday...