Which Storage Solution?

AFlyingBuffalo

As the title suggests, I'm not too sure which solution to go with for my next build; 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2 1TB WD Blues, or 2TB WD Black.

The Barracuda is the cheapest, but breaks down the most, the 2 Blues aren't as cheap and don't break down as much as the Barracuda, and the Black is reliable but expensive.

Thanks you!

If you care about your data and don't want a drive that breaks down, spend the extra money on the black.

This doesn't mean your data is safe. the black can fail as well, maybe not so quick, but it can happen.
ALWAYS TAKE BACKUPS!

btw: have you looked into a WD blue or WD green, more value oriented but still WD reliability. and they have 2TB models for those drives aswell, so you don't need to combine 2 1TB blue's

If you care about your data and don't want a drive that breaks down, spend the extra money on the black.

This doesn't mean your data is safe. the black can fail as well, maybe not so quick, but it can happen.

ALWAYS TAKE BACKUPS!

btw: have you looked into a WD blue or WD green, more value oriented but still WD reliability. and they have 2TB models for those drives aswell, so you don't need to combine 2 1TB blue's

Most of the things I have on my computer I can redownload, but I'd rather not have a drive fail on me, I'm using a WD Blue right now and it hasn't failed me in the year that I've owned it, so that's good.

The reason I went with the 2 1TB WD Blue's is because the store I'm getting my parts at doesn't have 2TB WD Blue's. :(

Thank you!

Most of the things I have on my computer I can redownload, but I'd rather not have a drive fail on me, I'm using a WD Blue right now and it hasn't failed me in the year that I've owned it, so that's good.

The reason I went with the 2 1TB WD Blue's is because the store I'm getting my parts at doesn't have 2TB WD Blue's. :(

Thank you!

Can't you order them online? Or is that not possible for you?

and redownloading 2TB worth of data is going to take a while lol

Thank you!

I have my 500gb wd blue die after 4 years D:

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Can't you order them online? Or is that not possible for you?

and redownloading 2TB worth of data is going to take a while lol

I've almost filled up my 1TB WD Blue and with GTA 5 coming in 14 days (SO FREAKING EXCITED) I'll only have like 100GB left... And is it possible to move game files from my current computer to a different hard drive so I don't need to redownload them?

I'd rather buy them in store so I don't need to wait for shipping and pay for it either. If it's on a good sale I'll try to order them but I don't have a credit card, I'd have to buy prepaid MCs.

I've almost filled up my 1TB WD Blue and with GTA 5 coming in 14 days (SO FREAKING EXCITED) I'll only have like 100GB left... And is it possible to move game files from my current computer to a different hard drive so I don't need to redownload them?

I'd rather buy them in store so I don't need to wait for shipping and pay for it either. If it's on a good sale I'll try to order them but I don't have a credit card, I'd have to buy prepaid MCs.

Shouldn't be a problem to just copy the installation folder of the game. 9 times out of 10 this works perfectly fine.

If you use steam you can just export them and take a backup.

As the title suggests, I'm not too sure which solution to go with for my next build; 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2 1TB WD Blues, or 2TB WD Black.

The Barracuda is the cheapest, but breaks down the most, the 2 Blues aren't as cheap and don't break down as much as the Barracuda, and the Black is reliable but expensive.

Thanks you!

Hey AFlyingBuffalo,

If you are choosing a drive for gaming, do have in mind that games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. If you are planning to run some more demanding applications, I could say that WD Black is a great performance drive with useful features for safer and longer performance and long 5 year warranty. If it's for simple storage, having two separate drives could give you better data safety as if one of them fails, you would still have everything secure on the second one (unlike having everything on one single drive. WD Blue are great everyday drives fully capable of running games and some demanding applications.

I would suggest going for the two separate ones for better data security.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey AFlyingBuffalo,

If you are choosing a drive for gaming, do have in mind that games rely on storage only for their loading times and FPS and graphics stay unaffected. If you are planning to run some more demanding applications, I could say that WD Black is a great performance drive with useful features for safer and longer performance and long 5 year warranty. If it's for simple storage, having two separate drives could give you better data safety as if one of them fails, you would still have everything secure on the second one (unlike having everything on one single drive. WD Blue are great everyday drives fully capable of running games and some demanding applications.

I would suggest going for the two separate ones for better data security.

Captain_WD.

Thank you! I'd prefer to have faster loading times in games but that's when I'd probably just get an SSD (COUGHSKYRIMCOUGH), I was also thinking that I could get a small SSD for programs and Windows, and then get a HDD for games, would that be a good setup?

Thank you! I'd prefer to have faster loading times in games but that's when I'd probably just get an SSD (COUGHSKYRIMCOUGH), I was also thinking that I could get a small SSD for programs and Windows, and then get a HDD for games, would that be a good setup?

Yes, it is a very popular choice to get a rather larger SSD (128GB-256GB) to store the OS, games and possibly more demanding programs and a simple HDD (not necessarily performance-oriented) for the rest of the data that does not require instant access. Another option is to have a SSD for the OS and another SSD for programs and games and a HDD for the rest. :)

Caching a HDD with a SSD is also an option but you don't have any control over what goes there. The software decides what you use the most and stores the load files of those applications on the SSD for faster loading. 

That depends entirely on you. *cough*skyrimsoundsgood*cough* :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

I'd say two 1TB Blues so you can get more organized.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Yes, it is a very popular choice to get a rather larger SSD (128GB-256GB) to store the OS, games and possibly more demanding programs and a simple HDD (not necessarily performance-oriented) for the rest of the data that does not require instant access. Another option is to have a SSD for the OS and another SSD for programs and games and a HDD for the rest. :)

Caching a HDD with a SSD is also an option but you don't have any control over what goes there. The software decides what you use the most and stores the load files of those applications on the SSD for faster loading. 

That depends entirely on you. *cough*skyrimsoundsgood*cough* :)

Captain_WD.

Thank you so much for all the info! I think I'm probably going to get an SSD for Windows, programs, and maybe a game or two and then get a HDD for other games and stuff.

Thank you so much for all the info! I think I'm probably going to get an SSD for Windows, programs, and maybe a game or two and then get a HDD for other games and stuff.

Sounds great! Good luck and post a screenshot of your ready build :)

Captain_WD.