Cube atx cases?

aaronjamesj
Go to solution Solved by Leonin,

Glad to know that you had the same questions that i had, between 540 and X9. Saying that you know the X9 I do have some questions. I do know that you can move the window panle to the vented side,, but is it possible to put the window panel on the top of the case? I want a windowed top so you can see the water cooling on the mob.(I do understand that the top is a excalint place to put a couple of 480 rads and will be losing that.) and i know that the case is large can you post a pic of where you placed, or even your set up right now?

the side panels are a bit bigger then the top panel,  but I know there have been requests to thermaltake for several different panels,  they have already put up for sale on their ttbuy site some more brackets and misc parts for the case and have more in the works,  seen requests for things such as  just the top half windowed, bottom vents etc and on the forums they claim to be working on different panels so it could be a possibiliy in the future. 

I had built my own corner desk awhile ago to accomadate three monitors,  I originally had it on top of the desk but was making me feel cramped so I grabbed some more scrap cabinet grade plywood I had lying around and added an upper shelf above my monitors that would hold it, its nothing special  just a wood shelf with an angle bracket,   My current setup looks pityful inside of it,  but my reason for purchasing it  is because there literally isnt anything I plan on doing in the future that wouldn't fit inside of this monster oRlrDoW.jpg0ceKmzV.jpg

I am looking for a cube case that fits atx mob. I was looking at corsair air 540 for a while, but now really liking the thermaltake core x9. Has any one seen or have experience building in the x9? I'm looking for a case that is good for a first time watercooling bulid.  

Also first post and new to forums so hope im doing this right.

Damn son.

This is the Core X9 for any future posters:

11_Thermaltake-Core-X9-E_ATX-Cube-Case.j

For watercooling, get the X9.

I disagree, the 540 is superb for water cooling. You can have some very thick 60mm rads in both the top and bottom (provided your 8-pin power cable and GPU length allow this) plus, the airflow setup allows maximum airflow through the rads. The rear compartment can be used for hiding a pump and res combo.

@aaronjamesj can't go wrong with the 540 AIR, unless you've already made up your mind.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I disagree, the 540 is superb for water cooling. You can have some very thick 60mm rads in both the top and bottom (provided your 8-pin power cable and GPU length allow this) plus, the airflow set allow maximum air through the rads. The rear compartment can be used for putting a pump and res combo.

@aaronjamesj can't go wrong with the 540 AIR, unless you've already made up your mind.

It being my first time watercooling there will be enough space for me? that's the only thing that worries me about the 540.

Damn son.

This is the Core X9 for any future posters:

11_Thermaltake-Core-X9-E_ATX-Cube-Case.j

thanks for posting that for me. I like all the space the X9 has in it. The only thing I don't like is it has a horizontal mob tray. Is there any benefit to that?

sorry, have to put something here because I accidentally posted same thing twice and don't know how to delete it. How do you delete post?

It being my first time watercooling there will be enough space for me? that's the only thing that worries me about the 540.

Definitely. For your first time use soft tubing, it's very forgiving and easier to use. 

Primochill Advanced LRT 3/8 ID 5/8 ID for the tubing, two Alphacool XT45 rads and presto you have yourself a nice WC rig.

I disagree, the 540 is superb for water cooling. You can have some very thick 60mm rads in both the top and bottom (provided your 8-pin power cable and GPU length allow this) plus, the airflow setup allows maximum airflow through the rads. The rear compartment can be used for hiding a pump and res combo.

^this is entirely wrong.

You cannot put a thick rad in the top of the air 540 in push pull, the fans will not fit because of the mobo heatsink placement. I know, I've tried, I have two noctua fans on the outside of my case, pulling air through the rad, to prove it.

Go for the X9, the 540 is nice, but the X9 is cube case done correctly.

Edit: Just to point this out, I have an mATX mobo in there so...yeah, that aint gonna work.

It's a good case, but it's just not meant for good water cooling support like the X9 is.

f7Ys48u.jpg

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

^this is entirely wrong.

You cannot put a thick rad in the top of the air 540 in push pull, the fans will not fit because of the mobo heatsink placement. I know, I've tried, I have two noctua fans on the outside of my case, pulling air through the rad, to prove it.

No it's not wrong, it totally is possible.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/lightbox/post/20761304/id/1648743<-- those are UT60's

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/lightbox/post/20664180/id/1623768<-- alternative, 30mm rad with push/pull 25mm fans. That's 80mm total for the folks at home.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/official-corsair-carbide-air-540-owners-club-gallery/1450#post_20761304<-- scroll down to find DampMonkey's build pics

Please point me to the part in my previous posts where I mentioned doing push/pull? :)

I also issued a warning stating that the 8-pin power cable or GPU length could be a problem.

As soon as OP suggested he was concerned about space restrictions I recommended he go with XT45's (in push or pull, not push/pull).

Thanks for all the info and opionions guys Im going to go with the X9. The room is what really does it for me. The case is made for water cooling.

I have the X9 and I absolutely love it,  choose it over the 540,   the fact that every single piece comes off easily was a huge part of why I went with it.   As for the motherboard being on its side, the only real benefit I can see to it besides showing off the GPU is that they don't sag like they were in my previous case.    I can't really think of any cons I had building in the case,   I dont have any elaborate water setup yet but plan to in the future when I upgrade from my current system.      Every single panel comes off with just thumb screws, it feels sturdy, looks sturdy.   Just make sure ya got the room to sit it somewhere because it is HUGE.

Every single panel comes off with just thumb screws, it feels sturdy, looks sturdy.   Just make sure ya got the room to sit it somewhere because it is HUGE.

Glad to know that you had the same questions that i had, between 540 and X9. Saying that you know the X9 I do have some questions. I do know that you can move the window panle to the vented side,, but is it possible to put the window panel on the top of the case? I want a windowed top so you can see the water cooling on the mob.(I do understand that the top is a excalint place to put a couple of 480 rads and will be losing that.) and i know that the case is large can you post a pic of where you placed, or even your set up right now?

the side panels are a bit bigger then the top panel,  but I know there have been requests to thermaltake for several different panels,  they have already put up for sale on their ttbuy site some more brackets and misc parts for the case and have more in the works,  seen requests for things such as  just the top half windowed, bottom vents etc and on the forums they claim to be working on different panels so it could be a possibiliy in the future. 

I had built my own corner desk awhile ago to accomadate three monitors,  I originally had it on top of the desk but was making me feel cramped so I grabbed some more scrap cabinet grade plywood I had lying around and added an upper shelf above my monitors that would hold it, its nothing special  just a wood shelf with an angle bracket,   My current setup looks pityful inside of it,  but my reason for purchasing it  is because there literally isnt anything I plan on doing in the future that wouldn't fit inside of this monster oRlrDoW.jpg0ceKmzV.jpg

@Leonin nothing wrong with the way it looks right now also. Thanks for the pics. I have no doubt that this will be the case for me now didn't know that thermal take was doing that for the case. I will be ordering it now, thanks.

Cooler Master haf xb
look no further 

Amd phenom ii x4 955 Asus crosshair iv formula Kingston hyperx fury 8GB 1600mhz ASUS Radeon R9 280X DirectCU II
Cooler master haf xb evo Antec 750w 500gb wd black BenQ gw2760hs Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 

Its fairly new so they are just starting to work on it,    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/754200-Project-Log-BrimStone-by-PennyWise, he has the top window/ half window side panels.  He made them himself but alot of people want that option.

Thanks or the link to that, I saw his build when I was first looking up this case. Seeing pics that explained some questions that I had with some of the stuff he did.   

Cooler Master haf xb

look no further 

The haf xb is actually the First case I looked at. I just thing its to compact of a case and lose some of the showmanship in watercooing and limited to what you can do. With the X9 (although larger) you possibility are almost endless including with the ability to stack, if you manage to some how run out of room.  

No it's not wrong, it totally is possible.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/lightbox/post/20761304/id/1648743<-- those are UT60's

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/lightbox/post/20664180/id/1623768<-- alternative, 30mm rad with push/pull 25mm fans. That's 80mm total for the folks at home.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1404897/official-corsair-carbide-air-540-owners-club-gallery/1450#post_20761304<-- scroll down to find DampMonkey's build pics

Please point me to the part in my previous posts where I mentioned doing push/pull? :)

I also issued a warning stating that the 8-pin power cable or GPU length could be a problem.

As soon as OP suggested he was concerned about space restrictions I recommended he go with XT45's (in push or pull, not push/pull).

From the looks of it (without looking the parts up), all of those look to be 120mm fans. I'm using 140's.

I still say the X9 is a better choice for water cooling.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs