Pentium G3258 or AMD FX 6300... Runs away...

Go to solution Solved by Dabombinable,

Okay, well I've just read that GTA might not even work with a dual core due to it needing at least 4 cores to run? If this is the case I'm pretty much forced to get the AMD :/ 

The G3258 is £51.99

The FX-6300 here is £74.89

The i3 4160 is £87.86... I was looking at the i3 4370 at £122.56!

The i3 has hyperthreading, so in *games like* Farcry 4, which is designed for quad cores, it works just fine.

*Edit*

Okay, I'm not wanting to start an AMD vs Intel war here... But I need peoples opinions, based on FACT, which processor is the best for gaming :)

I'm building my other half a basic gaming PC, and she wants to be able to play GTA V when it comes out in 2 weeks time (I've told her she'll need to play it on low graphics settings etc). That is the only game except maybe the Sims 3 she will be playing, so... yeah... lol

Overclocking is not a problem, but it will only be a fairly mild overclock as whichever processor I go for I'll be using a CoolerMaster 212 Evo to cool it and won't be spending silly money on an all singing, all dancing motherboard... Just one that supports overclocking.

Thanks in advance! :)

Ben

I do not care what anyone says, 2 cores is NOT enough for AAA gaming. Get the Pentium K if you are willing to upgrade to a 4460 + later on in the future.

If not, the FX 6300 is a better choice.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

Honestly i would wait and see if GTA V runs smoother with better single-threaded performance.

But may i ask what gpu?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Well I would choose the pentium because of the upgrade path

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Honestly i would wait and see if GTA V runs smoother with better single-threaded performance.

But may i ask what gpu?

It's a bit of a mish mash, but I'm using my old GTX 560ti

Why isn't the i3 an option?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They're not similarly priced. Why this comparisson.

The pentium is £50, the AMD is £70... That's pretty much identical in CPU terms of price!

The pentium is £50, the AMD is £70... That's pretty much identical in CPU terms of price!

Forum post lag strikes again, you might want to refresh after each post

PMSL

Why isn't the i3 an option

Because it's double the price of the AMD and it's not unlocked. 

If you plan on upgrading the cpu in the future i would say get the Pentium.

If you don't get the fx

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Why isn't the i3 an option

Even at it's stockspeed it beats the FX on average at overclock at a lower cost, you can buy a cheaper motherboard, you can skimp on the extra cpu cooler because the i3 stockfan is silent. That alone makes it cheaper.

And what kind of shitty prices do you have over there. The G3258 is 67 euro, FX-6300 is 102 euro and the i3-4160 is 113 euro over here.

I do not care what anyone says, 2 cores is NOT enough for AAA gaming. Get the Pentium K if you are willing to upgrade to a 4460 + later on in the future.

If not, the FX 6300 is a better choice.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

/thread

Even at it's stockspeed it beats the FX on average at overclock at a lower cost, you can buy a cheaper motherboard, you can skimp on the extra cpu cooler because the i3 stockfan is silent. That alone makes it cheaper.

And what kind of shitty prices do you have over there. The G3258 is 67 euro, FX-6300 is 102 euro and the i3-4160 is 113 euro over here.

Okay, well I've just read that GTA might not even work with a dual core due to it needing at least 4 cores to run? If this is the case I'm pretty much forced to get the AMD :/ 

The G3258 is £51.99

The G3258 is £51.99

The i3 has hyperthreading, so in *games like* Farcry 4, which is designed for quad cores, it works just fine.

*Edit*

PMSL

4 threads most likely. the i3-4160 has 4 threads.

Also;

http://kemptechnologies.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/broken-f5-button.jpg

bfh_cpu_nv.png

i3-4160, get it.

Looking at this, even on battlefied the Pentium, FX and i3 are all over 60FPS... Surely that's all I need as she's only got a 60hz monitor? Correct me if I'm wrong :P

PMSL

Looking at this, even on battlefied the Pentium, FX and i3 are all over 60FPS... Surely that's all I need as she's only got a 60hz monitor? Correct me if I'm wrong :P

Notice the overclock needed to get the FX 6*** CPU's to their levels, considering who your building it for and the games that will be played, you don't want the problems associated with overclocking. 

PMSL

That doesn't mean you should opt for the worse choice, just because you don't need more NOW. And this is a heavily multithreaded title, so the best-case scenario for AMD.

Worst case scenario, it's a little different;

http://pclab.pl/zdjecia/artykuly/chaostheory/2014/11/codaw/charts/codaw_cpu_a2.png