In Today's World Is Optical Drive Necessary?

NeelanCruzz

I am a First Time Builder I am Going to Use NZXT S340 Case For my build ..... but it does not have that 5 and a quater bay.

I Personally think That Using Dvds is Shit Bcoz i Mostly Download Movies As well as Games

and Even If i opt For Seeing a Movie I Mostly Watch it On TV Using The Seperate Bluray Player.

But Some People Say That U need to hav a optical Drive in ur Pc?? Is Is necessary??

I am a First Time Builder I am Going to Use NZXT S340 Case For my build ..... but it does not have that 5 and a quater bay.

I Personally think That Using Dvds is Shit Bcoz i Mostly Download Movies As well as Games

and Even If i opt For Seeing a Movie I Mostly Watch it On TV Using The Seperate Bluray Player.

But Some People Say That U need to hav a optical Drive in ur Pc?? Is Is necessary??

incase you think you need one buy a external usb one

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

First, please write somewhat properly.

Second, let me answer your question, nope, most of the time not. I don't have an optical drive in my 200R even though it supports one. I have no need for it.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Basically this. If you really need one buy an external one (they are pretty cheap). Alot of cases are moving towards not having one and I can only see this getting more and more common.

You do not get floppy drives anymore!!

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

Basically this. If you really need one buy an external one (they are pretty cheap). Alot of cases are moving towards not having one and I can only see this getting more and more common.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

I would never put one in my machine. But I would use one to get full quality blu-ray movies on to a HDD (SSD)

Don't have one, don't need one, doubt I will ever use one ever again

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would never put one in my machine. But I would use one to get full quality blu-ray movies on to a HDD (SSD)

You do need stuff for stuff like clonezilla and really old software or linux kernels.

Haven't used one in years. Everything I purchase is digital. And with unlimited bandwidth who needs an optical drive. 4254498940.png

Haven't had one in my main rig since 2011.

It's only necessary for HTPCs/ Steamboxes.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I have one and I use it. Is it 100% necessary? Probably not. But I would still want one. That said I use an external usb one, you don't really need a bay in your case if you change idea and actually need one.

It can be useful for cheap backup (dvds are dirt cheap and blu-rays are still cheaper than flash drives for the capacity), for music cds if your car doesn't have a usb port or bluetooth (mine doesn't) as well as for making bootable os discs (of course for most OSs I could make a pendrive, but again, it's not as cheap and since I'd be using it for something else later I'd have to redo the process each time I want to install that os).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Yeah but floppys only held 1.4mb ^^ they got completely destroyed by cds and later pendrives. For now optical media still offers an acceptable amount of storage for very cheap.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, the only reason I wanna get one (or get an IDE to SATA adapter) is so I can play my old PS1, PS2 and Wii games straight on my PC

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

In my opinion they ared dead... I haven't use one for personal need since... maybe 5 years ago. I have one in my laptop, the other day my mother said me she needed to write a CD after thirty minutes of laughing, yes, dvd still... but cd?? well I tried and I saw they were obsolete... I could read but not writing... So yeah... Is something I can live without, but... There are cars which player needs cd because they are quite old so... keep it in mind, maybe you need one in the future...

I'm from Spain so English is not my main language but I'm trying to make my best not writing any typo.

Double post

Yeah sorry.

Not really, like most people have said you can just get an external one to use when needed.

Most OSs can be installed off a USB Drive nowadays so there's not much need for one unless you watch DVDs on your PC

You're not my mother, you can't tell me what I do & do not need! :P

In all seriousness, I use my ODD whenever I buy music CD's but, that's all it gets used for now. I can't even recall the last time I burnt a CD or DVD for that matter. So yeah.

I don't even bother buying physical versions of PC games anymore, unless; A: it's cheaper than Steam & B: it has Steamworks. It's usually not the case though, so I just stick to digital. I think WoW was the last PC game I bought as a physical copy and that was the Cataclysm expansion since, it was just easier for me to go digital last 2 expansions.

Saying that I love having physical media for TV shows, movies, music & console games. Dunno why just something I prefer I guess.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

I put one in my rig the first time I built it. I tried using it once to install Windows, the disc didn't work so I ended up installing from USB.

I didn't use it since so I took it out last time I rebuilt.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

When you have a 100GB data cap, yeah you kinda need one,

Do we live in a world where data caps is still a thing? yes we do,

do we then live in a world where we still need to cling to optical

disc drives? yes we do.

Not to mention that boxed game copies with some nice artwork

is vastly superior and holds a greater sentimental value compared

to digital copies.