i5 4460 and H81 compatibilty

Hi LTT!

So my local computer shop is selling a combo of an i5-4460 and an Asus H81M-D PLUS.

I am aware that these two do not match bc the 4460 is a Haswell Refresh CPU, 

but the shop will update the BIOS on the spot, and bloody hell its only like $140

Would you advise to get it, or play safe and grab a H97 board

*Note: this is like a fire sale, and the people in the store who will buy are having doubts (like I am), so I'm asking on behalf of the people*

"Dont take my word for it, wait for the others"

-GabbDogg 2015

If they're willing to update the bios for you ie definitely go for it.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

If they're willing to update the bios for you ie definitely go for it.

Yeah they will at no extra cost

"Dont take my word for it, wait for the others"

-GabbDogg 2015

I run a H87 with a 4460 and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't have seen a significant difference between H87 and H97. H81 vs H87 might be a different story. I haven't used a H81 board before.

My only concern is that the board is actually quite poor. I made the mistake once of pairing an i7 2600 to an Asus H61 board and I quickly regretted it. Get a decent board.

Although for $140 that's even cheaper than the i5 alone, so it's a heck of a deal. So I'd probably sell the H81 board and buy a proper one.

As long as the board has the features that they want, USB 3.0 on the front is normally a big one then it's fine.

At work I haven't had to update the bios on an H81 / B85 board for over 6 months for compatibility with a haswell refresh CPU.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6