Steam is now publishing movies

ahhming

Valve’s Steam platform has expanded far beyond that in recent years. Along with various forms of software, Valve has also begun selling and distributing documentary films too. And now it’s extending that form of entertainment publishing to feature length films as well, with the release of Motivational Growth, a movie from Devolver Digital, the publisher of Hotline Miami, about a man and his mould.

Motivational Growth stars Adrian DiGiovanni as Ian Folliver, a depressed 30 something who hasn’t left his apartment in over a year. It’s within his enclosed world that he befriends a pile of mould growing in his kitchen. While seemingly benign, before long the mould has designs on his new friend’s life and Ian realises it might not be the new best pal he thought it was.

The film launches priced at $7.99, with a planned 40 per cent discount for the launch window. Although unrated, the film is listed with several adult themes, including mild drug use and nudity, as well as graphic violence and gore.

Source:

http://www.kitguru.net/channel/jon-martindale/steam-is-now-publishing-movies-too/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359410

This is what we need. 

More B movies.

God damn it

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I like it. Hopefully gives a nice way for indies to get their films out there. That said, if they have early access films, I'm leaving steam.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

*starts video*

*Devolver Digital*

"Shut up and take my money!"

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

I like it. Hopefully gives a nice way for indies to get their films out there. That said, if they have early access films, I'm leaving steam.

gaben is love, gaben is life

Its all about those volumetric clouds

This video is only available in a streaming format.

Yeah no, the world does not need another movie/ TV streaming service, downloads or GTFO.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If you could buy full blu-ray-quality movies, that'd be great.

I hate this for some reason...

Remember when Steam was better and just did games?

I didn't know Steam made games, when did they make games ?? 

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Streaming only? Pfft, I'm sticking to iTunes

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Steam sales for movies.. yes please!! :D

a  digital 2 dollar bin, gabe you magnificent bastard.

I didn't know Steam made games, when did they make games ?? 

He means when only games were published on Steam.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Ha, fail.

The had some documentaries on there in the past, doubt they will become the next Netflix though

Get the feeling they only did this cause the dude who made it is a game dev who already had a relationship with them.

Get the feeling they only did this cause the dude who made it is a game dev who already had a relationship with them.

Well the other movies were documentaries about themselves and indie games so actually, pretty much accurate Mr Humbug.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Considering that game videos always take forever to load on steam (at least for me they do)....no. This is a stupid idea.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Having the indie dev and Dota documentaries made sense to me, but having a film like this leaves me a little puzzled.

I probably won't ever use Steam for movies, but I wouldn't say that an additional service like this would somehow make Steam worse.

It isn't like he is using Steam.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This was bound to happen; without movie streaming service like the Chromecast or Apple TV has, the Steam Machines would never find a place in people's homes.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I can only hope that they'll find some kind of arrangement with Amazon and/or Netflix so we can finally get rid of silverlight.

Damn it I hate silverlight!