Brand New PC Freezes After Windows is Istalled ASUS ROG Maximus VI Impact

I just built a new PC with these specs (https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Nuggedee/saved/GqYhP6) and installed windows 8.1 on it. At this point the only issue I can see is that the BIOS recognises the CPU fan as a case fan. I only have two fans plugged into the MB, one of which is the CPU fan and the other is a case fan but the BIOS reports two case fans. I ignored this in BIOS but I don't believe this is the issue.

After I rebooted windows after the initial installation it freezes completely after a few minutes of use, no inputs are registered from any device and no error message is shown. I haven't installed any programs or drivers yet but it seems to be working fine for a few minutes before freezing.

Strangely, not all the regular applications are installed. I had to install Firefox from ftp but it froze soon after doing that. Everything seems to be working fine up to that point. I have reinstalled Windows 8.1 from scratch and it still freezes after starting up.

After restarting I checked the MB and CPU temps, the CPU is around 40C and the MB is around 23C and that stays constant while running BIOS.

I have no idea how to proceed from here and would like some guidance. I am somewhat experienced with building PCs, I've built 3 in the past for my self and friends and have had no problems like this so soon after an installation of windows.

If there is any further info I can gather please tell me.

Edit: Was just looking through the BIOS and it froze there, so I believe I can assume that it is hardware related. Any tips on pointing to what is causing the issue?

I am having the same problem with my old gaming machine that I tried to rebuild to give to my GF

i7 860 with a Gigabyte P55-UD4P. I have tried windows 7 and 8 and I get the issue on both, computer works fine for a bit with low temps and then just freezes

Only difference is my BIOS hasn't frozen for me

Nice PC, so cheap compared to Australia too!

CPU: i7 4790K Cooler: Corsair H55i Mobo: ASUS Z97M-PLUS Ram: Corsair Vengeance LP 32GB Storage: Samsung SM951 128GB m.2 Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD GPU: Asus STRIX 970 GTX PSU: Seasonic 550w Gold Case: Corsair 350D