Carrizo Benchs As Fast As Mobile Haswell

Opcode

Nice, thats pretty impressive. Whats the top models name? this one only has 10 compute cores

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

CARRIE FISCHER BENCHES MORE THAN MARK HAMILL

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Did...did AMD just catch up to Intel? Is that what this means?!

If so, then happy day! Happy day! Woo-hoo! :D

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

If so, then happy day! Happy day! Woo-hoo! :D

And then Intel rolls out i5s, i7s and things go back to where they were. 

AMD simply just doesn't have the money to give Intel any real competition anymore. Likely never will, they stagnated for way too long. Yes, they can give one or two lines the attention they need. Intel gives every single thing the attention they need. 

AMD had the crown. They never bothered to defend it. Intel took it, dusted off the corporate failure and started running the marathon years ago. 

And then Intel rolls out i5s, i7s and things go back to where they were. 

AMD simply just doesn't have the money to give Intel any real competition anymore. Likely never will, they stagnated for way too long. Yes, they can give one or two lines the attention they need. Intel gives every single thing the attention they need. 

AMD had the crown. They never bothered to defend it. Intel took it, dusted off the corporate failure and started running the marathon years ago. 

Yeah...I'm just overly optimistic about anything AMD does well. I like it as a company, and I dearly hope it succeeds, but things have been looking grim lately.

Yep, after a short burst of pure elation, the crushing burden of reality comes crashing down once again...

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

So Carrizo dual-module (not quite 4 cores) beats out the weakest of the Haswell I3s (dual-core + hyperthreading)... This is surprising?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So Carrizo dual-module (not quite 4 cores) beats out the weakest of the Haswell I3s (dual-core + hyperthreading)... This is surprising?

They've gotten hype Carrizo up somehow. 

When Carrizo starts beating Haswell i5s and i7s, we can start getting excited. Then maybe they can work up enough mojo to start comparing themselves to Broadwell and eventually Skylake! 

Nice, thats pretty impressive. Whats the top models name? this one only has 10 compute cores

The FX-8800P is the Carrizo flagship (12 compute cores) with the A10-8700P as the next step down (10 compute cores).

If so, then happy day! Happy day! Woo-hoo!  :D

Basically it means Carrizo will be a very viable option for people looking at laptops in this price bracket. Especially with the grunt horsepower of the iGPU (something that will also show noticeable performance gains) for gaming and 3D accelerated tasks. Intel still has the upper hand on performance (more cores and higher reference clocks) and power efficiency.

You're thinking of a threaded scenario in which half of these numbers are purely single core performance.

too bad carrizo is only on mobile platform...

The FX-8800P is the Carrizo flagship (12 compute cores) with the A10-8700P as the next step down (10 compute cores).

Basically it means Carrizo will be a very viable option for people looking at laptops in this price bracket. Especially with the grunt horsepower of the iGPU (something that will also show noticeable performance gains) for gaming and 3D accelerated tasks. Intel still has the upper hand on performance (more cores and higher reference clocks) and power efficiency.

You're thinking of a threaded scenario in which half of these numbers are purely single core performance.

Look again. No they are not. Furthermore, does anyone here honestly believe Carrizo's 5% IPC gain over Kaveri suddenly made it equal to Haswell clock for clock? You're absolutely blind to think it remotely possible. That would have meant Kaveri was equivalent to IvyBridge, which it clearly wasn't.

Either the Haswell chip throttled and the Carrizo one didn't, the Carrizo was overclocked, or the Carrizo had a larger cache useful to these benches, or the results are fake.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Look again. No they are not. Furthermore, does anyone here honestly believe Carrizo's 5% IPC gain over Kaveri suddenly made it equal to Haswell clock for clock? You're absolutely blind to think it remotely possible. That would have meant Kaveri was equivalent to IvyBridge, which it clearly wasn't.

Either the Haswell chip throttled and the Carrizo one didn't, the Carrizo was overclocked, or the Carrizo had a larger cache useful to these benches, or the results are fake.

Are you familiar with Geekbench? The sets of numbers without "multicore" are single core performance results. Also note that nobody here claimed that Carrizo is clock for clock faster than Haswell. We are still uncertain if the benchmarks were conducted at 1.70 GHz or if the processor has turbo states (likely) that we don't know of yet. Although either way according to these numbers we do know that it's faster than the Haswell counterpart in both single and multiple threaded workloads. Couple that CPU performance with the strongest integrated graphics on the market and you have a great all in one solution for a cheap multipurpose laptop.

Opcode, what is the reason for comparing HSW 2C/4T to AMD 4C/8T?

Opcode, what is the reason for comparing HSW 2C/4T to AMD 4C/8T?

They are pretty much equivalent specification wise. Where do you get eight threads from a quad core? AMD doesn't have Hyper-Threading.

They are pretty much equivalent specification wise. Where do you get eight threads from a quad core? AMD doesn't have Hyper-Threading.

I think he's seeing the 4C+8G, in which case, the 8 stands for graphics compute cores.

Here's the copy/paste.

AMD FX-8800P Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G @ 1.70 GHz 

1 processor, 2 cores, 4 threads

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ah, okay my bad. Thanks

FWIW here's a 2C/4T HSW result at 1.698GHz with no throttling (15J max over half second sampling)

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/2215017?baseline=2208110

Yeah, the flagship Carrizo,the fastest one there will be, is faster than an ULV i3.Not even that much faster.It's actually slower in most floating point benchmarks.

Also, the two machines are probably from different leagues. ULV CPU-s are used mainly in ultrabooks and most ultrabooks have 4GB or 8GB of RAM (in our case it's 4GB).The Carizzo machine has 16GB of RAM.

Missleading title IMO.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This is quite interesting.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

CARRIE FISCHER BENCHES MORE THAN MARK HAMILL

I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT SAW SOMETHING LIKE THIS!

Because he had a hard drive.

The highest end Carrizo APU from AMD seems to be slightly faster than the lowest end core CPU from Intel... That's kind of depressing.

I guess the good news are that both are clocked at the same frequency and the AMD still manages to be competitive in single threaded performance. I hope those numbers are accurate because that could be good for their future desktop parts.

What is the TDP and power consumption like? Even if they have to use a lot more power and produce a lot more heat than Intel to match them in IPC they can still afford to do that in desktops. I wouldn't want that for a laptop though.

Also, I would take these benchmarks with a shovel of salt. As you can see here, there are laptops with the i3-4010U processor that scores way higher than the one OPcode decided to compare the AMD chip against.

But I am sure OPcode had a very good reason to compare it against that specific laptop with the i3 processor. Right?

The highest end Carrizo APU from AMD seems to be slightly faster than the lowest end core CPU from Intel... That's kind of depressing.

I guess the good news are that both are clocked at the same frequency and the AMD still manages to be competitive in single threaded performance. I hope those numbers are accurate because that could be good for their future desktop parts.

What is the TDP and power consumption like? Even if they have to use a lot more power and produce a lot more heat than Intel to match them in IPC they can still afford to do that in desktops. I wouldn't want that for a laptop though.

Also, I would take these benchmarks with a shovel of salt. As you can see here, there are laptops with the i3-4010U processor that scores way higher than the one OPcode decided to compare the AMD chip against.

But I am sure OPcode had a very good reason to compare it against that specific laptop with the i3 processor. Right?

Ah Vindication :) Just as with Lenovo and Asus dropping the ball with Core M cooling solutions, it just goes to show the whole package matters in mobile. Speaking of Core M, anyone got reference benches for Core M to compare against Carrizo?

I suspect that the FX-8800P is running on turbo (weren't it discussed to be in the 2.8-3GHz range(?)).

I guess this will be their 35w SKU.

I suspect that the FX-8800P is running on turbo (weren't it discussed to be in the 2.8-3GHz range(?)).

I guess this will be their 35w SKU.

That would explain how it can match the i3 in single core scores. It sounds way too good to be true that AMD could match Intel in terms of IPC.

If it's the 35W SKU than that's even more bad news, since the i3 is a 15W TDP chip.