Water spilt on PC. Need Help!

dakinator

Fellow Forum Members,

Recently, my gaming PC (custom-built) had a run-in with a glass of water. It got knocked over on my desk, and about half of it dripped off into my top fan grille, while the tower was running. The monitor went blank nearly immediately, and I unplugged it from the wall within 5 seconds. I removed my HDD, RAM, Motherboard, and GPU and they are sitting on my desk to dry. It's been about 2 hours, and I haven't tried to power anything up. What would you guys recommend I do next?

Thanks anyone for your much-needed help.

Full System Specs:

• A10-5800K
  • Arctic Freezer 7 Pro R2 Cooler
  • AsRock FM2A75 Pro-4
  • EVGA GTX 760 ACX
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
  • 120GB 850 EVO SSD
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  •  Corsair CX600 (bottom mount, fan side up)

take it apart, rinse with isopropic alcohol, let dry 2-3 days, reassemble, pray to your chosen diety

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

oh, @dakinator follow your posts too.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Felloe Forum Members,

Recently, my gaming PC (custom-built) had a run-in with a glass of water. It got knocked over on my desk, and about half of it dripped off into my top fan grille, while the tower was running. The monitor went blank nearly immediately, and I unplugged it from the wall within 5 seconds. I removed my HDD, RAM, Motherboard, and GPU and they are sitting on my desk to dry. It's been about 2 hours, and I haven't tried to power anything up. What would you guys recommend I do next?

Thanks anyone for your much-needed help.

Full System Specs:

• A10-5800K
  • Arctic Freezer 7 Pro R2 Cooler
  • AsRock FM2A75 Pro-4
  • EVGA GTX 760 ACX
  • 8GB Corsair Vengeance
  • 120GB 850 EVO SSD
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD
  •  Corsair CX600 (bottom mount, fan side up)

I wouldn't think a bath in isopropyl is necessary. give it a full day to dry, dismantling everything. be prepared to have a dead part or two, but chances are the whole machine isn't toast.

pulling the power before the water got to everything probably will help with that.

I'd guess your GPU probably fried, though only time will tell.

Let it all dry off for a day or two, then try booting it back up outside the case and figure out what works and what doesnt.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

take it apart, rinse with isopropic alcohol, let dry 2-3 days, reassemble, pray to your chosen diety

Gaben, preferably.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

One more thing, if I put my GPU in another system to determine if it's dead, will there be any risk of damaging aforementioned other system?

motherboard and gpu are likely dead after something like that. possibly the cpu and ram too depending on what parts got shorted out

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

One more thing, if I put my GPU in another system to determine if it's dead, will there be any risk of damaging aforementioned other system?

no, the other system will be fine.

Gaben, preferably.

Lord Gaben is the best to pray to. Offer him your Wallet during the Summer and 9.99/10 it'll work trust me. I had coffee spilled over my laptop and dropped it panicking. It's still running today. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Thanks, everyone for your help. I'm going to let things dry, I'll post back in 48 hours or so.