Help upgrading my system with a Graphics Card

Hello All!

I am looking to upgrade my current system with a graphics card. But I have no experiance what so ever with graphic cards!

Before now my system was only a media/browsing/school machine. But I am looking to upgrade to be able to play some games aswel (GTA V,CS GO, H1Z1, Skyrim etc.).

I was planning to upgrade my system like this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PkMKRB

With the Saphire R9 280 3GB Dual-X, the power supply and the case being new (old case was too smal for a decent gpu  -_- )

And I guess my main question is:

Will this do the trick (for a while)?

I know I am not using the gpus full potential like this, because of the fact that my current motherboard only has a PCI-e 2.0 x16 slot.

But I am simpy wondering if this will work. And if I could wait a couple months/half a year with upgading my cpu, motherboard and memory?

Or shoul I do more now?

What do you do you recomend?

Thanks!

Pretty sure most all modern graphics card don't bottleneck on pcie 2.0 at 16x. Don't quote me on it, but I'm fairly positive this is the case.

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

Pcie 2.0 is fine it will work. The 280x is still a pretty good card so i should last for a while. It can run those game you mention with no problem. But i let you know that your cpu will bottleneck it.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Also get another 4gb of ram. 8Gb is the standard now most game will need 8gb to run smoothly

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Also get another 4gb of ram. 8Gb is the standard now most game will need 8gb to run smoothly

Oke thanks! Is there a diference/benefit between having 4x 2GB or lets say 2x 4GB or ram?

Pcie 2.0 is fine it will work. The 280x is still a pretty good card so i should last for a while. It can run those game you mention with no problem. But i let you know that your cpu will bottleneck it.

How does this bottlenecking work an how can I prevent it?

Oke thanks! Is there a diference/benefit between having 4x 2GB or lets say 2x 4GB or ram?

How does this bottlenecking work an how can I prevent it?

Your cpu is too weak to keep up with the 280x so it will slow the 280x down not letting it run at 100%. To remove the bottleneck you just need a better cpu. About the ram there is almost no difference between 4x2gb or 2x4gb. I like 2x4 more since it leave more room for upgrade in the future.

Here is linus video about bottlenecking if you want to learn more 

Here is linus video about bottlenecking if you want to learn more 

Thanks haha, was just watching that too.