Hi guys,

First time here, first time building a computer too!

So I'm headed for university next year and I'm going to be going into engineering (likely mechanical) and I'm thinking I'd like to build a pc to run all the modelling and such. The computer would be running programs such as Solidworks, Mathlab, some sort of CAD to name a few.

I'm wondering what some good components would be for this sort of work, everything from the processor to case. My budget is somewhere in the range of $1500 to $2000 (Canadian). Obviously being a student less $$ is better as I'm going to have lots of other expenses. Looks aren't super important (but they can't hurt) it's more about getting the most bang for my buck.

Secondly if anyone has suggestions on a monitor, I'd like it to be in the range of 20-27" with at least a 1080p display (it's 2015!! anything less is just out of date). Again, budget is a keyword here.

Thanks for any help you guys have!!!

I'd suggest the Dell U2415 for a monitor, 1920x1200 is going to be a bit better for 3D work than 1080p and it's an excellent monitor in general.

For the actual computer, the Intel i7-4790K would be a good place to start.

Ideally you'd want a FirePro or Quadro graphics card but those are massively expensive.

And by netflix you know what I mean.. Shrek downloads...

Thanks for all them help guys :D I think in terms of keyboard and mouse and such I should be good as I've got lots of stuff lying around.

Thanks Glenwing for the parts and heads up on the display and to xCaleb for the entire build suggestions

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/N2mvcf

You can save some money on the wifi card but you might want it for lightning fast "Netflx" videos ;)

no offence but this is not a good engineering build spec.

i would suggest a smaller form factor as he will want to transport it about. and needs lots of gb's of fast memory on the system and on the gpu.

got to love Asus components

Hi guys,

First time here, first time building a computer too!

So I'm headed for university next year and I'm going to be going into engineering (likely mechanical) and I'm thinking I'd like to build a pc to run all the modelling and such. The computer would be running programs such as Solidworks, Mathlab, some sort of CAD to name a few.

I'm wondering what some good components would be for this sort of work, everything from the processor to case. My budget is somewhere in the range of $1500 to $2000 (Canadian). Obviously being a student less $$ is better as I'm going to have lots of other expenses. Looks aren't super important (but they can't hurt) it's more about getting the most bang for my buck.

Secondly if anyone has suggestions on a monitor, I'd like it to be in the range of 20-27" with at least a 1080p display (it's 2015!! anything less is just out of date). Again, budget is a keyword here.

Thanks for any help you guys have!!!

do you have any preference to form factor? i think a M-atx would be a good size as its easier to move around.

do you have any colour scheme you like?

i also suggest using SSD for O/S (maybe M.2) and if you can SSD or SSHD for other programs and storage.

24" 1080p monitor is the best single monitor size setup.

if you would like me to make a build for you i can. just say if you have preferences to size, colour, manufactures etc, and do you entend to run windows or a different operating system?

do you need it to be as quiet as possible? want a window?

do you have any preference to form factor? i think a M-atx would be a good size as its easier to move around.

i also suggest using SSD for O/S (maybe M.2) and if you can SSD or SSHD for other programs and storage.

if you would like me to make a build for you i can. just say if you have preferences to size, colour, manufactures etc, and do you entend to run windows or a different operating system?

look for a 4gb onboard memory on the gpu, and you want atleast 16 gig of system ram.

Fire Pro or Quadro is crazy expensive, you're probably better off getting a GTX 970 which will still work very well for your 3D solidworks stuff.  The biggest difference is hardware optimizations for OpenGL, but the gaming GPU will still work well.  it also has the benefit of running games =)

The i7 4790k is also a good idea, and 16gb of low latency RAM.  

24" 1080p is a good size for what you are doing.  If you were already done school and working as a professional, I'd suggest at least a dual display setup, but that might be overkill for a student.

Also, realistically, you can get away with a much cheaper system for what you are doing.  The most challenging software will be solidworks, which can run on a low end system reasonably well.  An i5 or even i3 with a 280 or 280x will get the job done.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

It would be great to see a build if you've got the time.

M-atx sounds good (portability is nice to have). Colours I like white with bright colours. Red is good, but I'm not too particular when it comes to that. It'd be running Windows for sure. Quite as possible is good, but I don't mind a bit of fan noise. I don't really mind whether there is a window or not.

Thanks so much!!

Fire Pro or Quadro is crazy expensive, you're probably better off getting a GTX 970 which will still work very well for your 3D solidworks stuff.  The biggest difference is hardware optimizations for OpenGL, but the gaming GPU will still work well.  it also has the benefit of running games =)

The i7 4790k is also a good idea, and 16gb of low latency RAM.  

24" 1080p is a good size for what you are doing.  If you were already done school and working as a professional, I'd suggest at least a dual display setup, but that might be overkill for a student.

Also, realistically, you can get away with a much cheaper system for what you are doing.  The most challenging software will be solidworks, which can run on a low end system reasonably well.  An i5 or even i3 with a 280 or 280x will get the job done.

would I want to consider a more powerful processor for video editing? I'm also currently an artist and video maker, so I'll probably also be doing some adobe stuff in there too

would I want to consider a more powerful processor for video editing? I'm also currently an artist and video maker, so I'll probably also be doing some adobe stuff in there too

yeah, hyperthreading is supposed to be a big help for video editing.  For that you need an i7, as the i5 and i3 do not have that feature.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I looked into a nice X99 rig, but will cost a lot lot more, so for now here is a good base rig with an 4790 i7 cpu and some different colours that might work.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/FLth8d

not sure how the white m-atx Corsair air240 case will work with a Gryphon Z97 military grade m/board, but see if you like what i got.

something it wouldn't allow to select is to get a 120 or 256 gig M.2 direct mount onboard SSD for the O/S. i think that would be good and then the 1TB SSHD for storage and works drive should be a good start.

no need to go for a K-series i7 as it will add an extra 40 - 50 bucks or more so with a good solid m/board, good VRM, fast memory with 16 gig as min and some new cool fast storage / drive interfaces i think this will be a good base to work off and you can mod what you like or not like. plus down the line it allows you to get another 970 strix when you can afford it or need it then it will be amazing.

hope this helps