How do you properly validate a GPU overclock?

orangecat

So i'm pretty familiar with CPU overclocking and i'm pretty good at pushing chips to their limits but when it comes to graphics cards i seem to always fail no matter how little I push the card. my old videocard was a GTX 460 cyclone from MSI and it got a pretty god overclock but it was never 24/7 stable like I would have liked. i currently own a GTX 970 G1 from gigabyte and I can get into the 1500Mhz range just fine but no matter how long it's stable in valley benchmark or anything else it always ends up being unstable randomly in games.

I just want my GPU to be overclocked and 100% stable and I can't seem to o that on any card. I don't know if I'm just stability testing wrong or maybe I'm pushing the cards to hard to where they just simply can't be stable.

Any help would be appreciated.

~Current Overclock~

(Semi stable)

GTX 970 G1

Core voltage: + 87mv

Core clock: + 100Mhz

Memory clock: no change (for some reason i can't get it stable past + 25Mhz)

I find that in certain games, my overclock is unstable and the game eventually crashes. A specific example of that is Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I find that in certain games, my overclock is unstable and the game eventually crashes. A specific example of that is Borderlands The Pre-Sequel.

For me it's Battlefield 4, i'll play for an hour and it will randomly crash and other times ti crashes after 10 minutes.

WoW is my OC killer.  I have to reset my OC for WoW and reapply my OC for other games.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Try Crysis 3. That is very stable. BF4 has been unstable with Direct X error dump crash message with both AMD and Nvidia cards as well as using Mantle. My 7950 doesn't always overclock and has a mind of it's own. I have my trusty G15 keyboard so I can watch games in real time as well as GPU usage and memory clock rates. To be a true game tester you have to have diagnostics keyboards with LED displays that monitor your performance real time like core temp. I know a lot of people keep logs but it's not the same as being able to observe real time performance while play in game. 

Ryzen 5600 Be Quiet! PureBase500DX  CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240mm RGB  Asus ROG Strix B450-F  1660 Super  Crucial DDR4 32GB 2x16 3800mhz  SK Hynix Gold P31 1TB NVMe  Seagate Barracuda 3TB  Mechanical Keyboard Red switches Logitech G502 mouse  EVGA Supernova 750w GA gold   32" Acer curved 1440p 144hz  MSI 32" Curved 1440p165hz  Aopen 32" 1440p 144hz

Try Crysis 3. That is very stable. BF4 has been unstable with Direct X error dump crash message with both AMD and Nvidia cards as well as using Mantle. My 7950 doesn't always overclock and has a mind of it's own. I have my trusty G15 keyboard so I can watch games in real time as well as GPU usage and memory clock rates. To be a true game tester you have to have diagnostics keyboards with LED displays that monitor your performance real time like core temp. I know a lot of people keep logs but it's not the same as being able to observe real time performance while play in game. 

Or use a system overlay like MSI AB and be done with the G15.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Get HWmonitor and push the card where it never dips below 98%. I prefer valley since it is very heavy on the gpu but the cpu does almost nothing there. If you have dual monitor, run valley windowed and everything maxed out and just let it run a high resolution while checking gpu load and temps. Once your card runs with a single error for about 3-4 min, run the whole benchmark where it will crash if still unstable. After i maxed out my 750ti at +240core, I think it has only crashed one time in all of my games. After that I keep it a +225 and I have had zero problems.

MSI Afterburner's overlay display.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch