2GB or 4GB gtx 960?

theperson671

I'm looking to upgrade my gpu. At the time of building my computer initially, I had no serious intention to do massive gaming, but the times gave changed. And right now, i'm stuck with a gt 610 (i didn't really know much about graphics cards at the time of buying it). I only plan on playing at 1080p, but there's definitely a chance i may be upgrading from a single monitor to a dual or even triple monitor setup in the future. That being said, would I be better off with a GTX 960 2 or 4GB version? (Both of which are the EVGA sueprSC models)

Have you checked out either an R9 280 (slightly less performance for less cash) or R9 280x (slighty better performance for a bit more cost than the 2GB 960, still less than 4GB version)? They both have 3GB of VRAM and perform better than the 960 where that becomes relavent (even the R9 280 non-X version), and the X version performs better period, even when the extra memory isn't used. Basically, it eliminates the need to pay extra for VRAM since it comes with it already, and is a better cost to performance anyway.

If at any point you would want the 4GB version, the 280x will perform better for less.

4 GB all the way. At 1080p, the 2 GB version is fine, but if you're going to be doing a multi-monitor setup, the 4 GB will be a huge benefit.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

4gb. Save yourself a little time until  it needs an upgrade, y'know?

Techoftommorow made a video comparing both on 1080p, no difference at all. Go search it up

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

If you're set on the GTX960, I'd suggest the 4gb edition. There are quiet a few games that will cap a 2gb GPU at 1080p. The extra VRAM would, in lame men terms, unleash the GTX960 in the games that need it. With only 2gb of VRAM, you may find yourself getting less performance once the VRAM usage gets close to 2048mb.

As stated above, the R9-280x has 3gb of VRAM. Which is just enough for 99% of games at 1080p and it out performs the 960.

I would not be aiming for multi-monitor with a GTX-960. And the 128bit bus will likely be the downfall of the 4gb edition.

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

DOUBLE POST

CPU: Intel i5-4690k                                                               RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengance Pro DDR3-2400                                                                     Case: NZXT S340

Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo                                                  Storage: Intel 730 SSD                                                                                                            PSU: EVGA 850G2

Mobo: Asus Z97-A 3.1                                                          GPU: 980ti G1                                                                                                                          OS: Windows 10 Pro

My answer hasn't changed from earlier today. 2GB for single, 4GB if you're intending to SLI, bear in mind that the memory bus will probably be your bottleneck in that case.

4 GB all the way. At 1080p, the 2 GB version is fine, but if you're going to be doing a multi-monitor setup, the 4 GB will be a huge benefit.

On a 960? o.0 No. Recommending a 960 for multi-monitor is beyond ridiculous.

My answer hasn't changed from earlier today. 2GB for single, 4GB if you're intending to SLI, bear in mind that the memory bus will probably be your bottleneck in that case.

On a 960? o.0 No. Recommending a 960 for multi-monitor is beyond ridiculous.

Well, I don't really know the OP's budget other than it being around the 960's price. As the person above me said, the R9 280(x) is slightly better than the 960. I just didn't know if the OP preferred Nvidia or if he(she) is neutral. I really need to learn to recommend things with very little info lol

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

just get a 970 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Well, I don't really know the OP's budget other than it being around the 960's price. As the person above me said, the R9 280(x) is slightly better than the 960. I just didn't know if the OP preferred Nvidia or if he(she) is neutral. I really need to learn to recommend things with very little info lol

Well I would categorically recommend the 280X instead of any 960 here. Performance is slightly better, the memory has an interface such that you can actually use more than 2GB, and 3GB makes more sense for this class of card than 4. Even the 285, imo, is more compelling than the 960 even though they ought to be straight equivalents.

If you're aiming at 1080p, the 280x is the perfect GPU. If you can afford a 3-4 hundred dollar card, consider the 970 or 290x.

Well I would categorically recommend the 280X instead of any 960 here. Performance is slightly better, the memory has an interface such that you can actually use more than 2GB, and 3GB makes more sense for this class of card than 4. Even the 285, imo, is more compelling than the 960 even though they ought to be straight equivalents.

I'm putting the R9-285 in my GF's rig, the game we play only uses 1.8gb of VRAM. And the 285 supports the latest Radeon features, so I second your comment.

OP, if you want to save some cash, go with the R9-285. If you're set on a $250 GPU budget, go with the R9-280x. If your budget is 3-4 hundred, the GTX-970 or 290x are awesome options.

2GB-

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Hey, nice video link. I've been looking for a video like this on the 960/4

Yeah, I'd definitely go with the R9-285 or R9-280x.

Good luck OP.

Grab a 280X, or you could even find a 290 for not a lot more, probably. both are much better for the price, and they beat the 960 handily in absolutely everything.

2GB-

That video has already been debunked as bias :(

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Have you checked out either an R9 280 (slightly less performance for less cash) or R9 280x (slighty better performance for a bit more cost than the 2GB 960, still less than 4GB version)? They both have 3GB of VRAM and perform better than the 960 where that becomes relavent (even the R9 280 non-X version), and the X version performs better period, even when the extra memory isn't used. Basically, it eliminates the need to pay extra for VRAM since it comes with it already, and is a better cost to performance anyway.

If at any point you would want the 4GB version, the 280x will perform better for less.

This^^

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

If you're stuck on Nvidia for Gamestream or whatever your reason may be. If you're gaming at 1080p It wont matter much depending on the games you play. That being said the 960 doesn't handle resolutions larger than 1080p very well. However, down the road games could possibly utilize the 4gb of vram better given the bus can handle it. But the main reason to get the 4gb version would be if you plan to possibly throw another in for sli a while down the road.

In short: If you're playing games like cs:go or dota 2 the 960 will run them fine with a 2gb card, and do it very efficiently at that.

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker