Spotify is Now available on PlayStation 4 and PS3

I didn't even knew this was happening, it's nice since I only use my PS4 as a media center. 

Vessel Video Link

"The best part? You don't need PS Plus or Spotify Premium to use it."

Sony has announced its new co-venture with Spotify - dubbed PlayStation Music - is now available on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 consoles in 41 markets.

First announced earlier this year, the app will be automatically downloaded upon booting up your console. You won't need a premium Spotify account or PS Plus subscription in order to use it so, as long as you have a console, it'll be free. As with other versions of the service, opting to buy a premium account removes adverts and increases the quality of songs.

The interface has been designed in order to be visually-led, with an emphasis on serving those who will have music on in the background while chatting with friends. All the features from the desktop edition are present, including genre playlists and suggestions that are updated in real-time throughout the day. You will, of course, also be able to build your own playlists.

PlayStation Music also enables you to decide what music you want to play during your games. The soundtrack to the game will be replaced by the tune of your choice but, pretty impressively, dialogue and ambient sounds will still be played over your custom soundtrack. Additionally, holding down the PlayStation button on the DualShock 4 brings up a mini menu, which enables you to navigate your songs or change them without having to quit your game and relaunch Spotify.

The new service is fully integrated with the Spotify Connect app too. This enables you to decide what device your music is playing through using your smartphone. In a demo I was shown the PS4 being selected for music input, and tunes began playing immediately with no lag. Once the gaming session was done, another button press switched the audio output to the phone's headphone jack and we were free to go on our way still listening to the original playlist.                      

Source(s):

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/03/30/ps4-and-ps3-consoles-getting-spotify-app-today

https://www.vessel.com/videos/TJbLc0Xoh

This post has been promoted to an article

You might want to change the color of those quotes.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Still don't have DLNA support, so piss off Sony. 

I have ~5TB of my own media. BR rips, every album I own, even photos and home videos. TAHTS what I want to be able to stream over from my server. Not this. 

I have ~5TB of my own media. BR rips, every album I own, even photos and home videos. TAHTS what I want to be able to stream over from my server. Not this. 

Plex is a decent alternative to DLNA for the PS4. It gets all the metadata for anything it can find, and the interface is nice. The PS4 does need DLNA support though.

Plex is a decent alternative to DLNA for the PS4. It gets all the metadata for anything it can find, and the interface is nice. The PS4 does need DLNA support though.

Unfortunately, Plex is not yet available to non-Plex Pass subscribers on the consoles. You are able to download the app, but it will not allow you to use it unless you pay for a Plex Pass.

PS4 really does need DLNA support. It seems incredibly backwards that my PlayStation 3 is actually a superior media machine to my PlayStation 4...

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I would like a try but spotify is not available in my country.

I didn't even knew this was happening, it's nice since I only use my PS4 as a media center. 

Unfortunately, Plex is not yet available to non-Plex Pass subscribers on the consoles. You are able to download the app, but it will not allow you to use it unless you pay for a Plex Pass.

PS4 really does need DLNA support. It seems incredibly backwards that my PlayStation 3 is actually a superior media machine to my PlayStation 4...

Def does need DLNA support. If I had a console I'd be using for media purposes mostly, which is why I didn't understand why people were bashing Xbox one for the media stuff (I understood for some of the DRM stuff). More support for media stuff on a console the better. Glad PS4 has Spotify now.

Good to see Sony move away from their 1st party stuff. Sometimes its good to admit that another person does things better.

Y u no Xbox 360/One?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Awesome, even better to know that you don't need Plus or Premium to use it.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Wow, it only took so long? The PS3, it only does everything you know.

Def does need DLNA support. If I had a console I'd be using for media purposes mostly, which is why I didn't understand why people were bashing Xbox one for the media stuff (I understood for some of the DRM stuff). More support for media stuff on a console the better. Glad PS4 has Spotify now.

The problem the Xbox One originally had was that outside of the US, very little of its advertised

media functionality was available. In addition, the console actually didn't ship with DLNA

support - it was added in with an update many months later.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

it's nice since I only use my PS4 as a media center. 

Really ? I know some better options... :P

The problem the Xbox One originally had was that outside of the US, very little of its advertised

media functionality was available. In addition, the console actually didn't ship with DLNA

support - it was added in with an update many months later.

Yes I know this. It was obviously going to change and it had a very limited market in the first place. MS had to work with many people to get the XBO to more markets and have the media features in those markets. It would have sucked to Nat have the features right away.

That's not what I am talking about. People were saying "its a console. I use it for games. I don't need this media crap" when both ps4 and XBO were supporting more media stuff and it makes the devices have more usefulness. That's what I didn't get when people bashed the xbo from the start. I understand lack of feature but they were coming or the heavy DRM limits complaints but not the more media features.