Changed Mobo, crappy GPU oc?

Toto123456

I just changed my motherboard and case from atx to itx coz i travel a lot so i need a smaller form factor.

I was able to oc my 970 gigabyte g1 to 1530MHz on a MSI Z87-G45, and now only 1503MHz on a gigabye Z97N gaming 5 itx, and sometimes my gpu throttle to 1490MHz and getting some artifacts.

I used the same settings as previously used on a msi motherboard. Although as weird as it may sound, my temperature on my itx case was better than on my 760T lol ( only like 4c better) it was around 72C.

Is atx mobo better than itx mobo when it comes to overclocking in general? Or i chose the wrong mobo?

It all depends on the VRMs

I just changed my motherboard and case from atx to itx coz i travel a lot so i need a smaller form factor.

I was able to oc my 970 gigabyte g1 to 1530MHz on a MSI Z87-G45, and now only 1503MHz on a gigabye Z97N gaming 5 itx, and sometimes my gpu throttle to 1490MHz and getting some artifacts.

I used the same settings as previously used on a msi motherboard. Although as weird as it may sound, my temperature on my itx case was better than on my 760T lol ( only like 4c better) it was around 72C.

Is atx mobo better than itx mobo when it comes to overclocking in general? Or i chose the wrong mobo?

mobo dont affect performance

when you change mobo did you reinstall your OS?

driver updated?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Yes I did, fully re install my system and downloaded the latest driver from the manufacture

Silicone loterry my friend....Enjoy :P

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

Yes I did, fully re install my system and downloaded the latest driver from the manufacture

you maybe pushing too high OC previously

so it getting damaged and thus the CPU cant hit the old clocks

you either go higher voltage or lower your clocks

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Silicone loterry my friend....Enjoy :P

read carefully

he was hitting 1530MHz previously

now only 1503MHz

read carefully

he was hitting 1530MHz previously

now only 1503MHz

Exactly, a loterry.

snip

did your CPU speed change e.g. did the core clock change because when i overclocked my old 8350 i could not go as far on the GPU or vice versa can not remember 

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

No, still the same, i used the exact same settings on my cpu for both mobos however my gpu results are quite bad. I cant even get stable 1480MHz compared to 1524MHz, that is pretty huge different. My voltage on gpu are also adjusted to max settings already too (87mV). Anybody here can help me out?

Exactly, a loterry.

Wat.

OP was able to hit 1530MHz with his ATX motherboard, but only 1503MHz with the new ITX board. The graphics card has NOT changed.

Check yor GPU temperatures again; keep an eye on the VRM temperature reading.

I dont quite see how switching to a more compact motherboard will give lower temperatures -- it is usually the direct opposite.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

Wat.

OP was able to hit 1530MHz with his ATX motherboard, but only 1503MHz with the new ITX board. The graphics card has NOT changed.

Check yor GPU temperatures again; keep an eye on the VRM temperature reading.

I dont quite see how switching to a more compact motherboard will give lower temperatures -- it is usually the direct opposite.

"MoBo can and does affect OC since it's delivers 75 watts across the PCIe bus and if that power sags and dips it does affect performance. How good the power circuitry is on the motherboard is almost as important as how good it is on the GPU.

There are also other minor issues between boards like what kind of system links PCIE to the CPU and how fast that is (how well hyper transport is working on AMD for example) etc etc...

Even PCIe frequency variation can affect OC to minor degrees.

So yes, different boards will give different GPU speeds." 

It may be a minor dip but it's still relevant considering OP went from a ATX > ITX this can indeed happen.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101886.0 

"MoBo can and does affect OC since it's delivers 75 watts across the PCIe bus and if that power sags and dips it does affect performance. How good the power circuitry is on the motherboard is almost as important as how good it is on the GPU.

There are also other minor issues between boards like what kind of system links PCIE to the CPU and how fast that is (how well hyper transport is working on AMD for example) etc etc...

Even PCIe frequency variation can affect OC to minor degrees.

So yes, different boards will give different GPU speeds." 

It may be a minor dip but it's still relevant considering OP went from a ATX > ITX this can indeed happen.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=101886.0 

Yes the above is true, when you have several graphics cards installed in a single system. For an example, from your quoted source, the individual is referring to a bitcoin mining system with three overclocked HD 5850's in one system. Having owned three HD 5850's in the past, they can draw a lot of combined power. This is also why more and more motherboards have an extra SATA or 4-pin Molex power connection on the motherboard, near the PCI-E slots -- to provide more power when more GPUs are installed.

An example is my ASUS Crosshair V Formula motherboard:

Directly from the motherboard manual, page 2-27.

" EZ_Plug...Connect the 4-pin EZ_Plug power plugs to ensure sufficient power supply when you install multiple graphics cards."

tTWtTr9.png

The PCI-E frequency will oscillate -- it is not exactly 100MHz -- as it uses a crystal oscillator IC on the motherboard as reference. Even so, the variation is very little, typically well within the range of +/- 1MHz. These oscillators use a Quartz crystal, and usually have a Quality Factor of 50,000 (10,000 when a load is attached) or more -- they are very accurate.

The communication bus between the PCI-E slot and CPU will have some effect, I agree, but frequency used / set by the CPU should be enough so it won't hinder performance significantly. This will vary depending on the CPU used.

For an example, back with my Phenom II X6 1090T and 890FX motherboard, increasing the CPU-NB speed showed improvements to the DRAM read / write performance, but that is increasing it from 2000MHz up to 3000MHz -- a full 1GHz bump. With my FX-8350 and 990FX motherboard, performance gain started to level off, to where there is little to no performance gain, when the CPU-NB climbed into the 2400MHz, 2600MHz, and 2700 MHz range.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz (still tweaking) -- i7-6800K
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master -- ASUS X99 Deluxe
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT Special Edition Sapphire NITRO+ RX 5700 XT Special Edition -- 2x Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 (16GB TridentZ RGB + 16GB Red/Black TridentZ)
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass Edition
  • Ekwb Custom loop
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

New knowledge but my problem hasnt been solved TT

so you went from (i'm assuming) a mid tower, to an itx case and you are wondering why you aren't getting as good of an overclock?

if you did go to a smaller case the reason is quite simple. insufficient air flow. which is always more restricted in an itx case. it is hard to keep an itx case well ventilated.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

The temps are better on my itx case as the gpu is sucking the air dirrectly on the side panel because the gpu is vertically mount. My gpu is running at 66c or even 63c at full load if i turned on air con in my room. So to say that the temps are bad and is a factor limiting my result is near impossible

i just don't see how it could be the mobo but if it isn't temps then i don't know. i really don't think it could be the motherboard. contact gigabyte about the motherboard however. it would be your best bet at this point.

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

i just don't see how it could be the mobo but if it isn't temps then i don't know. i really don't think it could be the motherboard. contact gigabyte about the motherboard however. it would be your best bet at this point.

maybe try messing with the PCI-E speeds and also updating the mobo BIOS

does your GPU have a Dual BIOS switch?