Best GPU for an i3 4150

I need a new GPU for my i3 4150 and do not know if I should go with team green or team red. My budget is about 250 (although if I can get a much better deal for say 270-300 I will probably take it). I was thinking about the 960 4GB given that the AMD driver for the i3 sucks to the point that a 750ti will beat out the 280 when used with an i3. So I know the 280x @$240 (same price as the 960) has better performance than the 960 4GB  but I am worried that the same problem will persist in the 280x, or even the 290 for that matter, which will offer a lot better performance than the 280x and it is only 30 bucks more. If I had an i5 I know that this wont be a problem and the 290 offers the best bang for the buck. The other solution is spend 50 buck more on a 970 and just be sure that the drivers will work. The problem with that is that it does not offer as great bang for the buck and the issue with bottlenecks arises. Basically the thing is:

960 4GB vs 280X vs 290 vs 970

The 280X is unlikley because the 290 would be a much better buy if I decide to go with team red.

So please help me, and when you answer because if you just write the GPU you think I should go with but do not write why it will not help me at all. Thanks.

EDIT: Has someone used the i3 4150 (or a similar one) with the 280X? If so, have you had any issues?

I wouldnt go beyond a 280x with an i3

and the difference between a 290 and a 970 is closer to $75

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I wouldnt go beyond a 280x with an i3

and the difference between a 290 and a 970 is closer to $75

Not really. The cheapest 290 (PCS+, which I consider to be the best 290) right now is 270 bucks, and the cheapest 970 is 310 (a zotac one, which I do not trust as much) and 320 for the msi or evga one.

Not really. The cheapest 290 (PCS+, which I consider to be the best 290) right now is 270 bucks, and the cheapest 970 is 310 (a zotac one, which I do not trust as much) and 320 for the msi or evga one.

the R9 290  is $250 the GTX 970 is $310/$320 the R9 290 is $290

320-250= $70

320-290=50

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

320-250= $70

320-290=50

Without MIR, 290 is $270.

"Rawr XD"

320-250= $70

320-290=50

Sorry, you are probably looking at prices with mail in rebates which I cant take advantage of since I live in Costa Rica.

Without MIR, 290 is $270.

why do people care about MIRs so much. they work..

Sorry, you are probably looking at prices with mail in rebates which I cant take advantage of since I live in Costa Rica.

oh

its still $50 though

if you do decide to splurge a bit I vote 290x>970

oh

its still $50 though

if you do decide to splurge a bit I vote 290x>970

Why?

Why?

its

1. cheaper (even without MIR)

2. just as good in gaming or better

2. much better in OpenCL

4. coolers look cooler (usually)

its

1. cheaper (even without MIR)

2. just as good in gaming or better

2. much better in OpenCL

4. coolers look cooler (usually)X

Question then. Isnt the 290 just an underclocked 290X? The 290X is just a bit faster than the 290, at least that is what I heard. I think I am better off getting a befier cooler to match the 290Xs performance with a good overclock and save $40.

Question then. Isnt the 290 just an underclocked 290X? The 290X is just a bit faster than the 290, at least that is what I heard. I think I am better off getting a befier cooler to match the 290Xs performance with a good overclock and save $40.

nope its a actual diffrent chip

nope its a actual diffrent chip

It's the same chip, but AMD cut back on stream processors and texture units. But to answer the question, yes it's the same chip. Will you get the same performance clock to clock? No.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

It's the same chip, but AMD cut back on stream processors and texture units. But to answer the question, yes it's the same chip. Will you get the same performance clock to clock? No.

that makes it a different chip if it has less units..

that makes it a different chip if it has less units..

Both the R9 290 and 290X use the Hawaii chip, much like the GTX 970 and 980 use the same GM204 chip.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Both the R9 290 and 290X use the Hawaii chip, much like the GTX 970 and 980 use the same GM204 chip.

but they are modified versions

does it really make a difference in the end 1000mhz 290x > 1000mhz 290

I'd get one of the GTX 960's on sale for $190 right now. 960s perform great with i3s and don't break the bank.

Should I get the 4GB version?

but they are modified versions

does it really make a difference in the end 1000mhz 290x > 1000mhz 290

I meant get a great cooler and get a higher frequency that in the 290X and match performance that way, or at least close the gap significantly.

Should I get the 4GB version?

I don't know, the only benchmark I have seen of the 4GB version was by Tech of Tomorrow, and that retard ran games that don't use much VRAM and at medium instead of actually testing whether the 4GB card could make use of the extra VRAM when operating on its own (e.g., not in SLI). The 128 bit bus makes me guess that it can't really make good use of the extra VRAM, but until I see a reasonable benchmark that could go over 2GB VRAM usage I don't know for sure. Since I have doubts we'll ever see decent 4GB benchmarks if we haven't seen them by now, just go with the known commodity: the 2GB version. I wish @LinusTech would test it though.

I meant get a great cooler and get a higher frequency that in the 290X and match performance that way, or at least close the gap significantly.

just stick with the 290x. No need to worry about the silicon loterry that way and a cheap 290x costs about the same as a fancy cooled 290x