Home made water block

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if any of you knew how to make your own water block for CPU and gpu, as I am new if there's a bother forum or a video that you could point me in the the direction of feel free to. I'm doing a school project on water cooling and can't afford to buy a loop (or the system for that matter). Thanks guys.

Personally, I wouldn't trust myself to build a waterblock. The tolerances are pretty small. 

Making your own block would probably be even more expensive.

The ones you buy are going to be cheaper since they were mass produced but making one is gonna be expensive with the high risk of corrosion, leakages and sudden failures so NO don't try that at home.

unless you're an experience modder. Probably even experienced one's won't do it.

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I was wondering if any of you knew how to make your own water block for CPU and gpu, as I am new if there's a bother forum or a video that you could point me in the the direction of feel free to. I'm doing a school project on water cooling and can't afford to buy a loop (or the system for that matter). Thanks guys.

well welcome!

Generally those who construct their own waterblocks use 3D printers and even then, they end up buying components from pre-made waterblocks. In your case, I would but a really cheap CPU block, one that isnt high quality but won't leak. There are some on eBay for around $10... Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-CPU-Water-Cooling-Block-Copper-Waterblock-Liquid-Cooler-for-Intel-AMD-W09-/281433038655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4186b75f3f

That seller also sells really cheap radiators

CPU: Intel i5-2400 Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1333MHz GPU: Sapphire R9 280x Tri-X Case Corsair Obsidian Series 350D PSU: EVGA 500w 80+ Certified

If you have a shop with a mill you can theoretically mill out your own waterblock with a block of copper, but I have seen others do some subzero CPU coolers using copper sheets and brazing/solder the copper block with channels to get more surface.

BTW Welcome to the Forum!

If you have a shop with a mill you can theoretically mill out your own waterblock with a block of copper, but I have seen others do some subzero CPU coolers using copper sheets and brazing/solder the copper block with channels to get more surface.

BTW Welcome to the Forum!

You wouldn't happen to know of any websites or videos would you?

well welcome!

Generally those who construct their own waterblocks use 3D printers and even then, they end up buying components from pre-made waterblocks. In your case, I would but a really cheap CPU block, one that isnt high quality but won't leak. There are some on eBay for around $10... Here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PCS-CPU-Water-Cooling-Block-Copper-Waterblock-Liquid-Cooler-for-Intel-AMD-W09-/281433038655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4186b75f3f

That seller also sells really cheap radiators

Thank you much appreciated

You wouldn't happen to know of any websites or videos would you?

I can't seem to find the one where the fellow was doing subzero cooling but here are some others who have made custom waterblocks. If it's a very simple loop or channel it can mostly be done on a hand operated mill or simpler method of cutting the channel and sandwiching it with copper plates. 

What are you planning to do for this?

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1316142

http://www.overclock.net/t/40849/homemade-water-block/30

I can't seem to find the one where the fellow was doing subzero cooling but here are some others who have made custom waterblocks. If it's a very simple loop or channel it can mostly be done on a hand operated mill or simpler method of cutting the channel and sandwiching it with copper plates.

I've decided to use water cooling as an excuse to build a system, it's all for a school project so my dad's going to pay for it, I'm planning on cooling a CPU and a very old gpu

I have been looking into it because I am going to do something similar. The best I found was to use C101 or ETP Copper, this is because it is mainly used for heat and electric conductivity. 

It has about 393 W/m°k heat conductivity. In other words, it is reallllyyyy good. The only other thing with more conductivity is pure silver (but that would cost a lot) and it does not improve by a lot either. 

For actually making it, I was looking at a professional CNC company to accurately do it. Obviously you would need to use CAD software. (I use AutoCAD for 2D and have not used any 3D yet). I have not looked at prices and the only reason why I could do this is because I can get one custom fit to the build I am designing.

Also, I found that 1mm diameter rubber tubing would be good for a custom O-ring.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

I've decided to use water cooling as an excuse to build a system, it's all for a school project so my dad's going to pay for it, I'm planning on cooling a CPU and a very old gpu

If you really want to do a DIY water block, those links give you a pretty

good idea how it's been done ever since water cooling came to the PC world many

years ago.

Honestly though: The water blocks are by far not the only things that cost money

in a water loop. Pump, fittings, tubing, radiators... it all adds up, and adds

up quickly. And as has been said, in the end, making your own block might end up

not being cheaper than buying an affordable one. Low-cost blocks can be had

for roughly 30$ to 40$, and they'll likely still be better than anything you could

manufacture for that money.

Don't get me wrong: If you want to do this for fun and because you're interested,

by all means, go ahead. Just be aware that in this day and age, with very good

and quiet air and closed-loop water coolers available, putting together a water

loop on a budget isn't really all that pragmatic of a decision anymore. It made

sense back in the day because the only effective air coolers were equipped with

high-RPM Delta fans, but that's no longer the case.

If you wanted to be pragmatic and have a tight budget, I'd recommend ditching the

water cooling and putting that money into getting better hardware. Or of course, save

up more money until you can afford it (that's what I do, I'm not rich, I'm just

really patient when it comes to saving up :D ).

Having said that, this is your choice of course.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic