[Very Old: Please Ignore] LAPD Gets into a standoff with an unlikely figure

Ignore this post, the source I looked at did not state how old this story is.

Turns out this is very old news, like from 2013. The sources I have seen states the date as Posted on March 24 2015, Updated on March 25th 2015

If you do want to read my article on an old story, it's in the spoiler.

Original Source:

Additional Source: http://alternativemediasyndicate.com/2015/03/24/cops-in-stand-off-with-call-of-duty-statue/

call-of-duty-620x298.jpg

We all know of the game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (my personal favorite COD game). So I was surprised to see this in the news.

Robert Bowling, who had a major lead in Activision's hit MW2 recently left the company to go solo and design his own games with his own independent company Robotoki.

Since he was a major lead developer in MW2, he had access to some promotional items and to show how successful the game was, decided to put up a figure of Simon "Ghost" Riley. 

The company recently had a new security system fitted with silent alarms and as they were leaving for the night, a co-worker tripped an alarm and in came the LAPD on a routine search for any disturbance. What they encountered was this life-size armed figure which ended up with a stand off between the cops and this figure.

Love this quote from the article:

Naturally, the Call of Duty statue did not comply with police orders to drop its “weapon.”

Bowling stated to the news the following:

Bowling emphasized that the panic alarm was not any sort of prank or publicity stunt. Instead, he explains that “our studio is equipped with a ‘panic’ alarm in case of an armed threat, which was installed yesterday,” Bowling said.

“One of our designers, who shall not be shamed, pressed it on his way out because apparently when boys find buttons that they are unsure of, their first instinct is to push it.”

The alarm was a precaution, “as game developers receive their fair share of death threats.”

Four officers stormed the front of the building around 7:10 p.m. when they realized there was no way to get in from that side. That’s when they moved to the back of the building where the entrance to Robotoki’s is located.

When they saw Bowling’s life-sized statue “with his gun at the ready,” they made an entry.

“I was in my office when they arrived and saw them coming up our stairs, guns drawn,” Bowling recalled. “They yelled for me to put my hands up and walk towards them slowly, then took me into custody and out of the studio until they cleared the rest of the rooms and floors.”

They were at a loss to figure out what happened, “until we reviewed the security footage and saw our designer’s curiosity to be the cause.”

Soon officers emerged from the building laughing. (Side note: at least they saw the funny side of it)

Here is a video of the CCTV footage:

https://youtu.be/v_cQK318EIA

My thoughts?

I found this quite hilarious. I understand that the cops see what they think is a threat and have to act upon it, but I got to give props to Bowling, I would love to have seen this in person. As for the employee who set the alarm off, I think there may be some issues with the polices for wasting their time on what was essentially a hoax call out.

Your thoughts, please leave them down below.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Good structured post, but this happened almost two years ago. I believe it was mentioned on WAN show

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

This is very old news

I only just found out about it through the first video, so I thought it was recent as it <24 hours because of the date.

If it is a duplicate post or old, please will a mod move/delete this tread, which ever they find relevant/appropriate.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

@sirtoby from the second source it says:

LAPD in STAND OFF with Call of Duty STATUE!

POSTED ON MARCH 24, 2015 UPDATED ON MARCH 25, 2015

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Guess it shows how intelligent the LAPD is. 

i5 4670K | ASUS Z87 Gryphon | EVGA GTX 780 Classified | Kingston HyperX black 16GB |  Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD | Seagate Barracude 3TB - RAID 1 | Silverstone Strider Plus 750W 80Plus Silver | CoolerMaster Hyper 212X | Fractal Design Define Mini 

I only just found out about it through the first video, so I thought it was recent as it <24 hours because of the date.

If it is a duplicate post or old, please will a mod move/delete this tread, which ever they find relevant/appropriate.

First I heard of it too xD

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

Also Robert Bowling's studio, Robotoki shutdown recently. :( 

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.