Ps3 help

Pony080905

I was playing a game when my ps3 just shut off and the power light started to blink red, when I press the button it turns on then shuts back off, help please

Here's a link to what is happening

http://youtu.be/ki68n8WlCv8

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Yellow Light Of Death.

Happened to me twice, was so unhappy I brought an xbox instead and never had an issue again.

Basically it's screwed, it's a CPU problem either the thermal paste has dried up causing it to overheat or the CPU is dead.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

That 3 times beep sound happens when you force shut off the console (like when it has crashed).

I'll look up some stuff, maybe I can find out what it is.

Have you cleaned it recently or at all ever?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

don't be a peasant, easy fix. JKJK, sorry can't help as I don't have experience with the PS3

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

try cleaning out the dust and replacing the thermal paste, if that doesn't work idk what to say

Broke 14 Year old + No job + Love for Technology = Bad combo :(

You're lucky it's flashing red and not yellow. Yellow indicates a hardware error, which is much harder to fix. What exactly are the symptoms? does it just flash red when turning it on and nothing else happens? if so, then the OS is corrupt and needs to be re-installed. 

To do this, make sure the PS3 is turned off. Now hold the power button down until it turns off again. You should hear a few beeps. Repeat this again a second time. Third time, just simply turn on the PS3 and it should display a debug menu. (if it doesn't work, then either plug the hard drive into a pc and reformat it from there, or just use any laptop hard drive in your ps3 for now on.) 

From this debug menu, select full reformat. After it's completed, you'll need to do the following. Go onto your PC and download the latest official update. 

http://us.playstation.com/support/system... 

After it's downloaded, you'll need to copy it to a usb flash drive (anything will work really, as long as it can be recognized as a mass storage device without installing anything, such as psp's, some mobile phones, hard drives, etc) 

Inside the usb storage device, create 2 folders(it's case sensitive, so it must be in capitals). 

First folder must be named 

PS3 

inside that folder, make another called 

UPDATE 

put the update in there. Now, plug it into the first usb port, and follow the on screen instructions.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

That 3 times beep sound happens when you force shut off the console (like when it has crashed).

I'll look up some stuff, maybe I can find out what it is.

Have you cleaned it recently or at all ever?

Never been cleaned

“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Here's a slightly better look at what's happening

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI5oFyT454

Never been cleaned

That may or may not be the problem.

Are you willing to open it?

Otherwise your best bet is cleaning it with a vacuum. (Keep in mind; sucking, not blowing.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Yellow Light Of Death.

Happened to me twice, was so unhappy I brought an xbox instead and never had an issue again.

Basically it's screwed, it's a CPU problem either the thermal paste has dried up causing it to overheat or the CPU is dead.

it's quite rare that it would happen on a ps3 though... unless you bought used...

That may or may not be the problem.

Are you willing to open it?

Otherwise your best bet is cleaning it with a vacuum. (Keep in mind; sucking, not blowing.

Whoa you don't want to clean anything electrical with a vacuum

Go to the store and buy compressed air

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

it's quite rare that it would happen on a ps3 though... unless you bought used...

Is a first or second gen ps3, that puts it at the least about 6 years old, that's plenty of time for things to go wrong

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

it was the old fat boy, it is died im just going to replace it

it was the old fat boy, it is died im just going to replace it

Don't do that you can play PS2 games on that old bad boy....just look up some guides....its just the thermal paste being well shit.....you just need to replace that and it will be A ok afterward ^~^

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Don't do that you can play PS2 games on that old bad boy....just look up some guides....its just the thermal paste being well shit.....you just need to replace that and it will be A ok afterward ^~^

Ah that was only the 60gb model, the 40gb, 80gb & 160gb in the PAL region didn't have the PS2 compatibility.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Ah that was only the 60gb model, the 40gb, 80gb & 160gb in the PAL region didn't have the PS2 compatibility.

Mine couldn't play ps2 games, It did play ps1 games though

Shut up, I was recording a 30 second video with my phone

Shut up, I was recording a 30 second video with my phone

It's still funny.