Hey really quickly need to know which one to get.

Go to solution Solved by sc_audio,

Hey, duder.  Either of the sound cards you mentioned will allow you to plug a guitar into a computer and run pod farm.  Here's a quick comparison on the soundcards I ran on sweetwater.com

NtfmBbw.png

Based on that, I'd probably save myself $50 and just grab the 2i2.  Keep in mind, your results may vary as I don't know what you need for total inputs/outputs.  

Keep in mind, neither of these are actually 'required' to run pod farm or any other VST like it.  You could, theoretically, just install a DAW (digital audio workstation), pod farm and run the output from a regular amp to your inbuilt microphone jack on the computer and see if you like what you hear.  You might not be able to record this way without some ASIO custom sound drivers or some fancy pants cable work, but it'll give you an idea if the soundcards will be worth it for you.  The soundcards are there to give you better recordings, more channels to work with and decrease latency in the time from 'strum' to what you hear from the outputs.

Hope this helps!

Should I get the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or should I get the line 6 pod studio ux2, so I can have the ability to use, utility's like Pod Farm.

Thank you to anyone who comment's it's much appreciated and help allot. 

:)

Hey, duder.  Either of the sound cards you mentioned will allow you to plug a guitar into a computer and run pod farm.  Here's a quick comparison on the soundcards I ran on sweetwater.com

NtfmBbw.png

Based on that, I'd probably save myself $50 and just grab the 2i2.  Keep in mind, your results may vary as I don't know what you need for total inputs/outputs.  

Keep in mind, neither of these are actually 'required' to run pod farm or any other VST like it.  You could, theoretically, just install a DAW (digital audio workstation), pod farm and run the output from a regular amp to your inbuilt microphone jack on the computer and see if you like what you hear.  You might not be able to record this way without some ASIO custom sound drivers or some fancy pants cable work, but it'll give you an idea if the soundcards will be worth it for you.  The soundcards are there to give you better recordings, more channels to work with and decrease latency in the time from 'strum' to what you hear from the outputs.

Hope this helps!

NtfmBbw.png

Hope this helps!

Awesome, 

Thanks allot man you really helped out and this is by far one of the most extensive, and most helpful answers I have ever seen on this forum. If I could I would totaly make sure you where some how rewarded. 

But anyways thanks allot and I really do appreciate the help, thank you. 

:)

NtfmBbw.png

Hope this helps!

Also the reason I need one is only to record some vocals onto a track. As for what i'll be using it with a Audio Technical At2020 condenser mic. The Pod farm however is just something that I would like to see if I like the effect of, it is not really a requirement I just need a simple and cost effective setup for recording vocals, at home. 

I do however have one question dose the A/D resolution effect anything. I have the option to go with the Ux2 for a cheaper price then the 2i2, but it is a used model and I might be able to get a used or new 2i2 for a similar price if I shop around.

Thank you again for your help 

Ah, right, sorry about that I didn't even notice that difference, haha.  Those are specifying bit-depth and sample rate.  They both have 24-bit depth which is standard.  It just provides a little more dynamic range to work with than something like 16-bit (CD quality).  The 48 vs 96kHz is arguable.  Having the 96kHz sample rate available is nice, but for single track recording or even small multi track it's more than the human ear can actually interpret and a lot more strain on the computer.  I normally do all my work within 48kHz range and when I take it higher, I can never tell the difference, haha (for reference CD standard is actually 44.1kHz).  Hope that helps!

Edit: Sidenote:  Both interfaces have 48v phantom power, which you're going to need to power that AT2020 (if it's the XLR version), which you probably knew... but it was a thing for me when I was looking for a new card, LOL.

Ah, right, sorry about that I didn't even notice that difference, haha.  Those are specifying bit-depth and sample rate.  They both have 24-bit depth which is standard.  It just provides a little more dynamic range to work with than something like 16-bit (CD quality).  The 48 vs 96kHz is arguable.  Having the 96kHz sample rate available is nice, but for single track recording or even small multi track it's more than the human ear can actually interpret and a lot more strain on the computer.  I normally do all my work within 48kHz range and when I take it higher, I can never tell the difference, haha (for reference CD standard is actually 44.1kHz).  Hope that helps!

Edit: Sidenote:  Both interfaces have 48v phantom power, which you're going to need to power that AT2020 (if it's the XLR version), which you probably knew... but it was a thing for me when I was looking for a new card, LOL.

Okay great man, thanks again for your help. I've ended up going with the 2i2 as for only £20 more then the used UX2 it's a better buy because it's new.

Anyway thanks  :)