Slow Windows boot despite SSD

Hey guys & girls!

Albeit being all excited about my latest shiny addition to my rig, I am confused about a recent change in my boot time.

Time to get "techy". My latest addition were a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo and a 3TB WD Green, resulting in the following hard drive config:

• 120GB Kingston Now V300 Debian/GRUB/Boot
  • 250GB Samsung 850 Evo Windows 7 Ultimate
  • 3TB WD Green HDD (5400rpm)
  • 2TB Toshiba HDD (7200rpm)
  • 500GB Maxtor HDD (7200 I think)

Everything works perfectly fine except a highly increased Windows boot time. Before installing the WD Green I was running on both SSDs and the Toshiba drive Windows boot (at least the time the flag shows up) was about 5-10 seconds, now it takes around a minute!

I already googled a lot but couldn't find anything helpful. I'm 99% sure it has something to do with the Windows configuration, since Debian boots swiftly as usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

Maybe it is the way you dual boot the systems, I had this problem with my old laptop.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Maybe it is the way you dual boot the systems, I had this problem with my old laptop.

The dual boot worked perfectly fine before installing the additional hard drives. I think Windows starts to read them during the boot or something, causing the delay - or it could be a driver issue but I have no idea.

I've installed Samsung's "Magician" - Firmware is the latest one and I also did a "performance optimization" (TRIM) - nothing. I think it has something to do with the way Windows reads/loads the HDDs but I have no idea how to fix it..

Try booting with just the bare minimum of peripherals attached to your pc (screen and kb+m)

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

Have you taken your Green drive back out and retested..?

Maybe just throw that drive into an external USB enclosure and keep a nice boot speed.

Of course finding out if its a software issue is first priority, but does this still happen with the GREEN disconnected?

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

How full is your windows partition? If it's too full the drive will choke at bootup.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Try booting with just the bare minimum of peripherals attached to your pc (screen and kb+m)

Other devices are only my Audio Interface and Webcam.. No difference with or without them :/

Have you taken your Green drive back out and retested..?

Maybe just throw that drive into an external USB enclosure and keep a nice boot speed.

Of course finding out if its a software issue is first priority, but does this still happen with the GREEN disconnected?

No I haven't but I am sure that it'll be faster with the HDDs detached because that's how it was before. I definitely won't put the new drive in a USB enclosure.. I want it to operate as an internal drive.

How full is your windows partition? If it's too full the drive will choke at bootup.

Fresh installation, 64 GB used, 169GB free.

Other devices are only my Audio Interface and Webcam.. No difference with or without them :/

No I haven't but I am sure that it'll be faster with the HDDs detached because that's how it was before. I definitely won't put the new drive in a USB enclosure.. I want it to operate as an internal drive.

Fresh installation, 64 GB used, 169GB free.

USB 3.0 enclosures perform the same as Internal drives in most cases. I'm pulling 198/182 read and write from a 7200RPM drive in my USB3.0 enclosure, I went to a mates house today for a file leech session and saw these results first hand.

Enclosure for a 5400RPM no diff than internal,,...for Greens don't even saturate the USB3.0 bandwidth.

Plug it in when you need it,.. enhancing your boot speed.

/I'm not holding a gun to your head,.. just a suggestion. it's up to you.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

USB 3.0 enclosures perform the same as Internal drives in most cases. I'm pulling 198/182 read and write from a 7200RPM drive in my USB3.0 enclosure, I went to a mates house today for a file leech session and saw these results first hand.

Enclosure for a 5400RPM no diff than internal,,...for Greens don't even saturate the USB3.0 bandwidth.

Plug it in when you need it,.. enhancing your boot speed.

/I'm not holding a gun to your head,.. just a suggestion. it's up to you.

If your motherboard has a sata port on the external i/o you could use that, sata is hot swappable and faster than usb

CPU I7 - 4720HQ RAM 2 x 8GB • GPU Nvidia GTX 850M Storage 250GB 850 EVO - 1TB Seagate Hybrid
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire Rapid-I (MX brown) & Pok3r (MX clear) • Mouse Logitech G502 • Sound Audio-Technica ATH-M50X • OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Arch 
Storage Asustor AS7004T

If your motherboard has a sata port on the external i/o you could use that, sata is hot swappable and faster than usb

Is there probably an option to keep the drive "unmounted" - the way it is in Linux? What I mean is.. keep it internal but to use it I'd have to mount it as I do in Linux?

Is there probably an option to keep the drive "unmounted" - the way it is in Linux? What I mean is.. keep it internal but to use it I'd have to mount it as I do in Linux?

In Windows you can disable it until needed. and re-enable it.

But as for the Boot order>Windows Boot time frame I don't know if it would be invisible.