4790 vs 4790k OC

How much faster overclocked (4.5-4.6) 4790k work than 4790. Price difference is 130$ for me

Using Tapatalk

How much faster overclocked (4.5-4.6) 4790k work than 4790. Price difference is 130$ for me

Woah $130 for the K? are you absolutely sure? it should be like $30 difference. Also you can't overclock the 4790, pretty much at all

Woah $130 for the K? are you absolutely sure? it should be like $30 difference. Also you can't overclock the 4790, pretty much at all

Yeah It's possible to overclock a locked processor, but nobody actually recommends the old school methods of overclocking. Honestly if you're happy with the performance of the non-k part, and the price difference is so large, then don't bother.

The stock (and turbo boost) clocks seem so high already that even getting mine to a stable 4.8 doesn't seem that special. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

Not worth $130 if you ask me. OC'ing has is more bragging rights and doing it because you like to.

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

130$ is cooler+CPU+z97 board price difference.

I also can go for 4690k, should I?

Using Tapatalk

130$ is cooler+CPU+z97 board price difference.

I also can go for 4690k, should I?

No...

At that price difference I can't recommend it unless you want to be on the bleeding edge, at which point a 5960x is only another 800 bucks......Yes I'm joking.

A decent cooler which will let you boost more often for longer is a better investment.

No...

At that price difference I can't recommend it unless you want to be on the bleeding edge, at which point a 5960x is only another 800 bucks......Yes I'm joking.

A decent cooler which will let you boost more often for longer is a better investment.

I buying 4790k then, will save up on GTX960 and buy 280X.

Or 4790 is better? I don't 4790k think can be overclocked high enough to make difference without custom loop

Using Tapatalk

Or 4790 is better? I don't 4790k think can be overclocked high enough to make difference without custom loop

if your only gaming then get the i5 4690k or non K and get a better GPU my mate has the pritty much the same pc as me but with the i5 4690k and in games there is like 1-2 fps difference but rendering is much faster with the i7  

l Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz l Asus VII Ranger ROG l MSI GTX 970 @ 1555MHz l 

PC PART PICKER

Get the 4970, since it is so much cheaper. The overclocked counterpart shouldn't give you too much extra performance anyways.

how much would be the xeon E3-1231V3 OP? compared to i7-4790?...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I bought a 4690 non k and im loving it. Its at max boost clock pretty much all the time.

I bought a 4690 non k and im loving it. Its at max boost clock pretty much all the time.

Yeah, Haswell Refresh is nice. When I got my Xeon E3-1231v3 I wasn't expecting it to be capable of max turbo at all times, but it even does it balls to the wall in Prime95.

My suggestion is go for a 4790K and Z97 board, but don't bother with expensive cooling. You don't HAVE to overclock, especially not right of the gate... the 4790K is probably plenty fast for what you're doing, it's a hell of a chip. Out of the box the 4790K is already 10% faster than the 4790 (since it runs at 4.0-4.4 vs 3.6-4.0). You don't need an expensive water cooling loop or anything unless you want to push insane voltages. Something like a Hyper 212 (which I'd recommend even if you don't get an overclocking chip since the stock Intel heatsink struggles and is quite noisy).

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

How does perfomance differ between 4790k and 4690k at same clock speed (4.2-4.3)?

Using Tapatalk

How does perfomance differ between 4790k and 4690k at same clock speed (4.2-4.3)?

the i7 has 8 treads

the i5 only has 4 treads

in games both will be almost the same 

but in productivity application which need more treads

than the i7 will pull ahead 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.