doesn't seem right....

I had a first gen i7 (920) that was running the stock clock of 2.6 paired up with 12gb of ram and a reference gtx 770. I was getting anywhere from 90-250 Fps in csgo and I need to have at least a stable 144+ for my monitor. I have since upgraded to a gtx 970 evga and overclocked my CPU to 3.2, but I still dip below 100 from time to time. It doesn't seem right to me... with that hardware I should be able to push that just fine.

I'm playing in 1080-1920 everything low except shadows with 2xmsaa. Do my results seem right?

That sounds a tad off, are you running current drivers?

And would the card be throttling or something else crazy?

All the power pins plugged in?

I had a first gen i7 (920) that was running the stock clock of 2.6 paired up with 12gb of ram and a reference gtx 770. I was getting anywhere from 90-250 Fps in csgo and I need to have at least a stable 144+ for my monitor. I have since upgraded to a gtx 970 evga and overclocked my CPU to 3.2, but I still dip below 100 from time to time. It doesn't seem right to me... with that hardware I should be able to push that just fine.

I'm playing in 1080-1920 everything low except shadows with 2xmsaa. Do my results seem right?

well first issue is that CPU is seriously bottlenecking the crap out of that 970

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

That sounds a tad off, are you running current drivers?

And would the card be throttling or something else crazy?

All the power pins plugged in?

Everything is up to date. All drivers updated. Everything is plugged in. I'm at a loss here really.

Everything is up to date. All drivers updated. Everything is plugged in. I'm at a loss here really.

Its called bottlenecking

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

Take it to the doctor, it may have the flu

HAHAHAHAAAAAAAHHAHAHA! No

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

It'll be the CPU holding you back there. Might be worth moving to a more current processor.

It's also not called bottlenecking like some others in this thread have suggested. A bottleneck is where you see zero performance gains despite updating a part of your rig, if you are getting better fps for the most part with the 970 then you have still gotten a performance upgrade, but the CPU isn't allowing the GPU to run at it's potential. A bottleneck would mean you received zero increases in fps moving up to the 970. People are far too quick at jumping to the bottleneck conclusion.

I ran the same setup with my brothers computer which has a 3.6 ghz i5 and he didn't have the same problem... so if I have more headroom and more cores why would I see less?

It'll be the CPU holding you back there. Might be worth moving to a more current processor.

It's also not called bottlenecking like some others in this thread have suggested. A bottleneck is where you see zero performance gains despite updating a part of your rig, if you are getting better fps for the most part with the 970 then you have still gotten a performance upgrade, but the CPU isn't allowing the GPU to run at it's potential. A bottleneck would mean you received zero increases in fps moving up to the 970. People are far too quick at jumping to the bottleneck conclusion.

That is Bottlenecking...........like you said the CPU isn't allowing the GPU to run at it's full potential.....that is what Bottlenecking is.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Would going for a more aggressive overclock be a wise way to go?

no....its clearly bottlenecking....you might want to upgrade that CPU of yours.....if anything

no....its clearly bottlenecking....you might want to upgrade that CPU of yours.....if anything

Let's assume for a moment that I dont have the money to upgrade my CPU? Would overclocking help at all?

Let's assume for a moment that I dont have the money to upgrade my CPU? Would overclocking help at all?

Not very much...due to that fact that is a extremely old CPU...

That is Bottlenecking...........like you said the CPU isn't allowing the GPU to run at it's full potential.....that is what Bottlenecking is.

But he is still getting some performance gain from the better GPU, however limited the improvement may be. That isn't what a bottleneck is.

So until I can afford A new mobo and CPU I just got. Really nice paperweight. -.-

But he is still getting some performance gain from the better GPU, however limited the improvement may be. That isn't what a bottleneck is.

That is a bottleneck here watch this video........

That is a bottleneck here watch this video........

And Linus has also been on record in the WAN show contradicting that very point and pointing out how people are too fast to call out 'bottleneck'

The very definition of a bottleneck is where one component slows the entire rig down to it's speed. If there is still a boost in performance from the new graphics card then it's not a bottleneck. The CPU is certainly holding back OP's GPU and not allowing it to hit it's full potential, but it's not a true bottleneck unless he is upgrading components and getting zero return from it. In theory he could throw a Titan X into his rig and still get better performance than he is with his 970. It's not a smart match but it will still be quicker.

And Linus has also been on record in the WAN show contradicting that very point and pointing out how people are too fast to call out 'bottleneck'

The very definition of a bottleneck is where one component slows the entire rig down to it's speed. If there is still a boost in performance from the new graphics card then it's not a bottleneck. The CPU is certainly holding back OP's GPU and not allowing it to hit it's full potential, but it's not a true bottleneck unless he is upgrading components and getting zero return from it. In theory he could throw a Titan X into his rig and still get better performance than he is with his 970. It's not a smart match but it will still be quicker.

Ok I guess......CPU bottlenecking then.

It still seems weird for it to be a CPU problem. I know someone who is rocking a fx6100 that can maintain higher minimum frames than 125.

cs and other source games are cpu intensive

getting a new gpu does almost nothing

False. Even if there's a boost in performance from the new GPU, it still doesn't reach its full potential and that is a bottleneck. He does get better performance in situations where his old card was bottlenecking his CPU, but by adding more GPU horsepower he is now limited by his CPU. GPU could render more fps, but CPU can't push any more. Titan X would only help if he was running 4K with AA because that's a GPU dependent situation.

You can say one component is bottlenecking your system whenever all other components except that one are able to achieve more performance, because that one component dictates the performance you're getting. Now, you can be bottlenecked by CPU and/or GPU depending on the game, and depending on what's going on in the game, level, amount of players on the server, framerate you're trying to achieve etc. 

cs and other source games are cpu intensive

getting a new gpu does almost nothing

They are CPU intensive when you're trying to achieve stable 144 fps. That's a lot of frames for the CPU to set up and pass on to the GPU for rendering. 

When you take into consideration that GPUs have more processing power than CPUs,

cpu-and-gpu.jpg

and the fact that DX11 allows only 1 CPU core to talk to the GPU at a time, you realize that high framerate mostly depends on the CPU.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Could there be things running in the background? You can also check your startup and remove anything that does not need to be there

Windows 8.1: CNTRL ALT DEL, then select startup tab and uncheck all the unnecessary startup programs.

Windows 7: To run MSConfig, open the Start menu and type “msconfig.exe” (without the quotes) in the Search box. As you type, results display. When you see “msconfig.exe,” click on it or press Enter, if it is highlighted. Select startup tab and uncheck all the unnecessary startup programs.

Reboot and give it a shot.

I have a potato!

False. Even if there's a boost in performance from the new GPU, it still doesn't reach its full potential and that is a bottleneck. He does get better performance in situations where his old card was bottlenecking his CPU, but by adding more GPU horsepower he is now limited by his CPU. GPU could render more fps, but CPU can't push any more. Titan X would only help if he was running 4K with AA because that's a GPU dependent situation.

You can say one component is bottlenecking your system whenever all other components except that one are able to achieve more performance, because that one component dictates the performance you're getting. Now, you can be bottlenecked by CPU and/or GPU depending on the game, and depending on what's going on in the game, level, amount of players on the server, framerate you're trying to achieve etc.

They are CPU intensive when you're trying to achieve stable 144 fps. That's a lot of frames for the CPU to set up and pass on to the GPU for rendering.

When you take into consideration that GPUs have more processing power than CPUs,

cpu-and-gpu.jpg

and the fact that DX11 allows only 1 CPU core to talk to the GPU at a time, you realize that high framerate mostly depends on the CPU.

I'm not denying that the CPU isn't holding his card back. But a bottleneck is where zero performance gains are achieved by updating another part. Until the point that one component holds back another to its peak its not a bottleneck. Its just not the right terminology for the situation.

The best situation is probably Sata 3 with current SSDs. The limit is a theoretical 600MB/s.So while a sata chip set may not reach that it will still show a improvement between different SSD's that arent hitting the limit of the interface. Once you hit the peak that the chip set and data 3 interface will allow you then get a true bottleneck.

Its not that the point people try make when they say something is a bottleneck isn t right, because the part still holds back the system to an extent. Its that they are applying a term that's much worse to the situation and it makes parts look a lot worse than they are. A new term to explain the situation should really be introduced to differentiate a partial bottleneck from a full bottleneck.